HDbroncos02's 2019 Mock Draft

1. (10) Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State

The time is now to draft a franchise quarterback to lead the Denver Broncos for the next 15-20 years. The state of our roster demands immediate action at our weakest position for the last five years. Our star veterans, Chris Harris Jr. (30 years old by Week 1) and Von Miller (30), are in the last few seasons of their prime. We also have a promising, young core in Bradley Chubb, Phillip Lindsay, and Courtland Sutton. With these key factors in mind, the uniting force that will maximize the talent of our personnel is a young QB with high football IQ, inspiring leadership, and relentless work ethic.

Enter Dwayne Haskins. In his lone, full season of starting, Haskins led the Ohio State Buckeyes to a 14-1 record capped off with a Rose Bowl victory. With 50 passing touchdowns and 4,831 passing yards in a single season, Haskins sits atop the Big Ten all-time leaderboard in those categories (demolishing previous milestones set by Purdue’s very own Drew Brees). Beyond the record-breaking statistics, Haskins ranks favorably in the analytics department. According to PFF, Haskins posted a deadly-efficient 135.4 passer rating from a clean pocket (2nd among draft-eligible QBs). He leads all draft-eligible Big Ten quarterbacks with a 48.6% adjusted completion percentage on deep passes (20+ yards).

Examining Dwayne Haskins’ game tape allows one to understand how he carved up talented Big Ten defenses and earned a spot as a Heisman Trophy finalist. He possesses plenty of arm on all levels. His ball placement and accuracy were consistent and solid. One thing that I liked from Haskins’ film was the fact that he tended to make the right throws instead of the flashy ones. Above all, it is his high football IQ that impresses me the most. Take it from Urban Meyer, himself.

“I think that's one of the most overlooked things for quarterbacks… When you see him not get hit, you say 'well, the offensive line is great.' But wait a minute, a lot of the times they're flipping protections to make sure they pick up the pressures. And other than accuracy, that's Dwayne's strength.”

What makes Dwayne Haskins the right man to lead and inspire Broncos Country? Consider this story: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/st...otball-journey. What stands out about Haskins is his Peyton Manning-like drive for perfection in his own game and those around him. He improved as the season progressed, including when it mattered most.

“In last season's final four games -- against Maryland, Michigan, Northwestern and Washington -- Haskins threw for a combined 1,551 yards, 17 touchdowns and two interceptions.”

Denver’s most glaring weakness, the quarterback position, has plagued the direction of the franchise after our Super Bowl 50 win. There have been countless games where our defense does everything in its power to keep the score close, especially against elite teams that we have no business being relatively competitive against (Rams and Chiefs come to mind); only for costly QB mistakes and the inability to sustain offensive drives to bring about one defeat after another.

Dwayne Haskins is one of the more polished quarterbacks in this draft. He is, however, FAR from reaching his potential. Haskins’ biggest weakness is his ability to be accurate under pressure. He must also improve his overall touch on downfield throws. Fortunately, Denver’s current situation will allow Haskins to develop behind Joe Flacco for a few games, if not the entire season. The work that Rich Scangarello did with Nick Mullens last year for the 49ers gives me confidence that he can mold Haskins into an All-Pro, franchise QB.

After 2019, Flacco’s contract gives Denver the flexibility to move on and place Haskins as the permanent starter. The money freed up will give our front office the chance to re-sign key players and build the roster even further. Drafting a QB Thursday night is imperative to the future of our franchise for a few reasons. For one, I do not believe that our team will be worse than last season. This means that we will likely select in the 12-20 range for the 2020 Draft. With our team trending in the upward direction with Vic Fangio and our young playmakers, it becomes increasingly difficult to draft a top QB talent in the coming years. With players like Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jake Fromm, and even Trevor Lawrence going pro within the next three years, it would cost Denver a painful amount of draft capital to move up and get “their guy”. Sitting put at #10 and selecting Dwayne Haskins would be the best case scenario for the Mile High come Day 1 of the NFL Draft.
    2014 Adopt-A-Bronco: #43 T.J. WARD & #38 QUINTON CARTER
    2013 Adopt-A-Bronco: #25 CHRIS HARRIS

2. (41) Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

Head Coach Vic Fangio has always relied on a strong defensive front on every team he has coached. The integral role that Eddie Goldman (6’4” 320 lbs.) played in Chicago’s defense the past few seasons is an example of how impactful the nose tackle position is in Fangio’s scheme. After letting an aging Domata Peko walk in free agency, only Shelby Harris (6’2” 289 lbs.) and Zach Kerr (6’2” 311 lbs.) remain as Denver’s interior defensive lineman. While Harris enjoyed a breakout 2018 season, he is not a prototypical fit at nose tackle.

Drafting Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence in the second round would be a steal. A three-year starter for the Tigers, Lawrence never posted a season with a PFF grade lower than 86.6. At 6’4” 340 lbs., he is a massive force in the middle. Lawrence is an outstanding athlete that plays with a relentless motor that is uncommon for a player of his stature. He is dominant in the run game as he possesses great strength (36 bench press reps) and understands how to attack blocking schemes effectively. Having him anchor our defensive line will transform our subpar run defense. Lawrence is not a bad pass rusher by any means (88.4 pass rush grade in 2018, seven sacks as a true freshman) but his limitations in that area relegate him to the status of a two-down lineman early on in his career. Adding Lawrence to our roster continues last year’s draft theme of adding high-character players with exemplary leadership and strong work ethic. He has the potential to start immediately as a rookie and could develop into a Pro Bowler.

3. (71) Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford

Okereke’s athletic profile compares similarly to 2018 DROY Darius Leonard. Fangio’s defense calls for linebackers with good sideline-to-sideline speed, strong diagnosing skills, and fluid coverage ability. Okereke has all the athletic tools to become a future starter for Denver, but needs refinement when it comes to mental processing.

4. (125) Dru Samia, OG, Oklahoma

Four-year starter for a highly-decorated Oklahoma program. Samia’s athleticism and football IQ makes him a contender to start in his rookie year. Looks to put his opponent in the dirt. His skillset is ideal for a zone-blocking system. Understands angles and excels at creating running lanes. Blocking for Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray enabled him to grow in terms of blocking awareness and improvisation. Gets to the second level as a blocker quickly.

5. (148) Josh Oliver, TE, San Jose State

Big target at 6’5” 250 lbs. Led all tight ends in college football with 16 contested catches last season. As a former receiver, runs smooth routes. Could see immediate playing time as he is a better vertical threat than Heuerman and Fumagali. Bolsters a weak position as there is uncertainty around Butt’s ability to stay healthy.

5. (156) Iman Marshall, CB, USC

Highly-touted prospect out of high school and a four-year starter for the Trojans. Physical corner that is not afraid to mix it up against the run. Not overly athletic but is a nuisance in press coverage for any receiver. Adds depth at the cornerback position and will contribute on special teams early.

6. (182) Jon Baker, C, Boston College

Three-year starter at center and a two-time captain for Boston College. A natural fit in a zone blocking scheme with his fluid athleticism. Could immediately compete for the starting center position against Connor McGovern and Sam Jones.

7. (237) Johnnie Dixon, WR, Ohio State

While college chemistry is vastly overrated when it comes to the pros, adding Dixon gives Haskins a familiar target. Dixon is a blazing athlete and deep threat. He has a knack for finding the soft spot in the defense as a route runner. Gives our receiving corps much needed speed.

I really like this draft

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    I really like this draft
    K Murda is still the dream but if he's too expensive to trade up for, and the board falls right... Haskins at 10 would make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    K Murda is still the dream but if he's too expensive to trade up for, and the board falls right... Haskins at 10 would make me happy.
    We agree again...but I really dont think cardinals pass on Murray.

Between the two O-Linemen on this mock and the eleven currently under contract, who will the game day Swing Tackle be?

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Between the two O-Linemen on this mock and the eleven currently under contract, who will the game day Swing Tackle be?
    I considered Oklahoma OT Bobby Evans in the 4th round, but I ultimately think it's a more pressing need to address the interior offensive line in this draft. Behind Bolles and James though, there is no solid answer to who the swing tackle would be. Definitely worth a Day 3 pick.

Boooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    I considered Oklahoma OT Bobby Evans in the 4th round, but I ultimately think it's a more pressing need to address the interior offensive line in this draft. Behind Bolles and James though, there is no solid answer to who the swing tackle would be. Definitely worth a Day 3 pick.
    Right. I think Barclay might end up being an inside rather than an outside guy if he makes the team.
    We'll see what Munchak and Kuper can do with Wilkinson.
    Rodgers' experience might make him a better 3rd team Tackle than a rookie UDFA.
    If Denver traded Chris Harris, they might be able to re-sign Veldheer who would be a good Swing Tackle IMO.
    Of the eleven O-Linemen Denver has at the moment, seven came into the league as UDFAs. There seems justification for drafting a C, G and T.
    A suitable candidate for Swing Tackle might be available at some point on Saturday. Or, there might be a promising UDFA T they have identified.

I think you did a great job here. Well written and detailed. I looked at Bobby Okereke when I was making my list. That kid looks he has a lot of potential. I put Mack Wilson in my mock in the 2nd. Okereke might be the better player.