• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 58Miller
    Football Immortal
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    This kid isn't JUST a TE. He's basically a slightly bigger Vincent Jackson and he plays like him as well. This is basically us drafting a large talented WR. This will help the team. The TE's we do have currently, while showing bursts of talented play have been oft injured and inconsistent.

TE has been one of our biggest struggles on offense beyond offensive line, this pick was absolutely a need and not a luxury.
    Can you say redzone target!!!!!!!
    I’m the red zone teams get to choose:
    Fant on one side and Sutton on the other😍
    sigpic

Comment

• FR Tim
      Football Immortal
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
      We spent a #4 on Josie Jewell, last year. You "ILB" guys got your Pick, then. Just like John Elway isn't going to spend a top Draft Pick on a Punter, he also isn't going to spend a top Draft Pick on a position that he places a lower value than other positions. Now, if you want a Cornerback, a Tackle, or a Pass-rusher, then you might have a point that can be made. If you continue to insist on an ILB, just prepare to continue to be disappointed. It's really pretty simple.
      Interesting POV. So if the Broncos are starting the season with Davis and Jewell in the middle and getting torched by deficient pass coverage once again, you are not going to complain?

Personally I'd like the position to be finally filled with a dynamic playmaking team leader so I can stop being disappointed.

Draft day not over. Still some hope of a pick or trade for an upgrade in the middle of the defense. Maybe the plan is to just use hybrids/safeties.

Comment

• ArchAngel
        Special Teams
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
        I couldn't agree more. I remember when Denver spent a top draft pick on Riley Odoms. That might be 35 years before some peoples time who Post on this Board, but that worked out pretty well.
        Riley was the complete TE. Could block like a monster and was a receiving threat as well. Unfortunately, did not play in a TE friendly offense during his career.

Comment

• LASERLIPS
          Playmaker
          • Jul 2005

The more I've thought about this selection, the more I've come around. Like many, I was a little disappointed we passed on Bush at 10, as he was available, but this may prove something in the long run that we as fans may not be completely aware of. Fangio's defensive scheme may prove to be effective without needing a guy like Bush, aka the "linebacker we need to cover the TE."

Now, back to Fant. Any time you can get a guy who presents the opposing team a mismatch problem, it's a good thing. We all know Flacco loves throwing to his TE. And we all know Flacco can throw the ball down the field very well....and actually put the ball on the numbers. *cough, looking at you, Keenum* If Fant can consistently create separation in the secondary, pull the ball in, we will be in good shape. Converting 3rd downs has been a problem in this offense for the last several years. This pick could prove to be far better than anyone imagines.

All in all, I'm optimistic.
          Geaux Tigers

Comment

• FR Tim
            Football Immortal
            • Jul 2013

Fant is going to help this offense. As much as we complain about defending the middle of the field, the Broncos have had issues utilizing it on offense almost as much in recent years.

Fant or the threat of Fant creates a lot of possibilities. Potentially 2 TE sets. Or the necessity for defenses to cover him every play. That threat to make big plays will open up the middle of the field for under crossing routes, RB screens or dump offs or even 1:1 coverage on the outside. Sutton may have a big year IMO.

I'm still going to a little bitter they did not simply take Bush but I'm accepting and excited about the possibilities with Fant.

Comment

• johnlimburg
              Ring of Famer
              • Sep 2009

I think those who are disappointed in Bush being passed on shouldn't be. I think he is a good solid prospect, and I think he would of helped the team, but he was a fast riser who I think was over drafted. Usually you see quarterbacks over drafted out of desperation, but inside linebacker has become the same in terms of over drafting in recent years due to the lack of talent available the college system is producing.

This linebacker class was weak, it had no depth at all, and I believe Bush and White were seriously overrated. Bush right now is the better player, and White is the better prospect, but before the combine and the positive workout for Bush, he was a 2nd round prospect. I for one do not like workout warriors, I place more value on what they done on the field, and Bush positioned himself as a day 2 guy based on his football ability. To have taken him at 10, like the Steelers did, is 100% in my opinion a move based on the pre-draft hype that gets created for some guys, and not the actual football ability.

The way I weigh it up right now, would you trade Devin Bush and Demaryius Thomas, in exchange for Noah Fant and Drew Lock ? Because that is essentially what Elway turned that number 10 pick into, and I think that is incredible value, and Elway fleeced the NFL with his early round manoeuvring in the draft this year. And for the record, I am not an Elway apologist, I said he was on the hot seat, have thought his performance over the last 3 to 4 years as a general manager had warranted harsh criticism, but right now, he has this thing trending upwards.

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                All-Time Great
                • Apr 2008

sigpic

Comment

• Dotst
                  Special Teams
                  • Nov 2015

If Fant pans out and Butt and company dont get hurt this year, our receiving core could be on fire this season

Comment

• Chillez
                    Football Immortal
                    • Sep 2008

I’m really excited for this kid. Denver has there future TE for the next decade. Fant has a chance to be a elite in this league.
                    sigpic

Comment

• SaltySnipes
                      Bench Warmer
                      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                      Interesting POV. So if the Broncos are starting the season with Davis and Jewell in the middle and getting torched by deficient pass coverage once again, you are not going to complain?

Personally I'd like the position to be finally filled with a dynamic playmaking team leader so I can stop being disappointed.

Draft day not over. Still some hope of a pick or trade for an upgrade in the middle of the defense. Maybe the plan is to just use hybrids/safeties.
                      They're not gonna get torched because fangio isint foolish like joe woods was putting them in man coverage. remember, fangio is gonna ask his ILBs to run more zone rather than man to man, therefore theyre not gonna get lit on fire like they were under woods. Heck, even vance made the defense better in the 2nd half of the year. woods was really really bad.

Comment

• samparnell
                        Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

With the UDFA signings, Denver has fifteen Backers plus two or three box Safety types. They will be evaluated in a proven defensive system and will receive good coaching in that context. We'll see what happens in preseason.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• WYBRONCO
                          Football Immortal
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by SaltySnipes View Post
                          They're not gonna get torched because fangio isint foolish like joe woods was putting them in man coverage. remember, fangio is gonna ask his ILBs to run more zone rather than man to man, therefore theyre not gonna get lit on fire like they were under woods. Heck, even vance made the defense better in the 2nd half of the year. woods was really really bad.
                          Great to hear. If Antonio Gates, Travis Kelce, and George Kittle make the HOF they need to personally thank the Denver Broncos for making it possible.

Comment

Working...
                          X