Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dre'Mont Jones

Dre'Mont Jones

I'm surprised that pick wasn't an ILB but watching highlights from this man the 1st thing I noticed was how much he plays inside on the line. He is listed as a DE but plays more DT. I hope this guy is the inside pressure presence we've been missing!!!

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

This pretty much puts the final nail in DeMarcus Walker. Still a slight chance he hits camp, and the light just clicks on. Jones should be interesting, I think we will get some limited positive snaps this year, and next season he will start to blossom. He needs physical work, and technique refinement. Very good tools, and he has already begun the journey of having a pass rushing plan. I would have liked an every down contributor here, but I'm OK with a high impact play guy.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    This pretty much puts the final nail in DeMarcus Walker.
    I'd hate to see that because he seemed to make an impact when he was allowed to actually play. As of right now I still blame VJ but if Fangio doesn't play him I'll accept that he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I'd hate to see that because he seemed to make an impact when he was allowed to actually play. As of right now I still blame VJ but if Fangio doesn't play him I'll accept that he's done.
    I will agree we wasted his rookie year. However, after that something just isn't clicking somewhere. I will say though, that Kollar was his position coach, if I trusted any coach from last year's squad it was Kollar. If Kollar didn't think he could do it, then I believe him.

I have a food feeling about this guy and I'm betting Von and Chubb like it too LOL

Jones is an extremely athletic one-gapping three-technique with the ability to play a disruptive brand of football on all three downs. His potential has never been in doubt, but in 2018 the production finally matched the talent. His body type and playing style will open him up to more feast-or-famine snaps than some of the other defensive tackles in this draft, but in the right scheme, he can become part of a swarm unit that plays on the other side of the ball.

NFL.com scouting report

Pro Football Focus has come out with another telling stat when it relates to graduating Ohio State defensive lineman Dre’Mont Jones. We all know he’s a sure fire NFL draft pick, and one of the best interior lineman in the draft, but the separation between him and the rest of the Big Ten is larger than anyone thought.

According to a Tweet shared by @PFF_College, Jones almost doubled up the next closes defensive lineman in the Big Ten with quarterback pressures. It’s an unofficial stat, but 59 hurries is an astronomical number. The next best number is Jordan Thompson of Northwestern with 29.

Someone in the NFL is going to be grinning like a Cheshire Cat to get their hands on that much production at the next level.

Ohio St website

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Jones is an extremely athletic one-gapping three-technique with the ability to play a disruptive brand of football on all three downs. His potential has never been in doubt, but in 2018 the production finally matched the talent. His body type and playing style will open him up to more feast-or-famine snaps than some of the other defensive tackles in this draft, but in the right scheme, he can become part of a swarm unit that plays on the other side of the ball.

NFL.com scouting report

Pro Football Focus has come out with another telling stat when it relates to graduating Ohio State defensive lineman Dre’Mont Jones. We all know he’s a sure fire NFL draft pick, and one of the best interior lineman in the draft, but the separation between him and the rest of the Big Ten is larger than anyone thought.

According to a Tweet shared by @PFF_College, Jones almost doubled up the next closes defensive lineman in the Big Ten with quarterback pressures. It’s an unofficial stat, but 59 hurries is an astronomical number. The next best number is Jordan Thompson of Northwestern with 29.

Someone in the NFL is going to be grinning like a Cheshire Cat to get their hands on that much production at the next level.

Ohio St website
    I love it!! I hope he can bring the same production to the pros. QBs dont have a chance against our pass rush if this guy is legit!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I love it!! I hope he can bring the same production to the pros. QBs dont have a chance against our pass rush if this guy is legit!!!!
    Like M-Jax, when all the attention is geared towards the edge... all he needs to do is win 1-on-1 matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Like M-Jax, when all the attention is geared towards the edge... all he needs to do is win 1-on-1 matchups.
    Jones' quickness will be difficult for an inside O-Lineman to handle.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Watching Dre’Mont Jones’ tape and athletic profile, he reminds a lot of the same reasons why Elway drafted Derek Wolfe back in 2012.

I could see Jones being Wolfe’s replacement next season.

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    Watching Dre’Mont Jones’ tape and athletic profile, he reminds a lot of the same reasons why Elway drafted Derek Wolfe back in 2012.

I could see Jones being Wolfe’s replacement next season.
    Or now, if we cut him to pay Harris. Maybe Elway knew they could only keep 1 and wanted to see how draft played out?

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I have a food feeling about this guy and I'm betting Von and Chubb like it too LOL
    agreed

Liking everything I am reading about this guy.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Here is a lofty comparison for Jones:

NFL comparison: Kawaan Short

This one may seem strange, because Short today is one of the more prototypical one-gapping defensive tackles in football, with a compact frame, and Jones looks more like a defensive end who lived on the inside in college. But their styles are nearly identical. Both Short and Jones can win simply with their lightning-quick first steps but are masters with their hands when attacking upfield. Short, who weighed nearly 20 pounds more as a prospect than Jones did at the combine, was more stout against the run. Their strengths are the same.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...hn-randle/amp/

TFL has always been a key stat for me on DTs. You want your DT making the play on the other side of the ball and that is something Jones does often. OSU fan here and only Buckeye I really wanted us to draft. Think he is going to free up the edges and eliminate the ability for QBs to step up when that outside pressure comes. He will make our pass rush much more effective.

Have heard fans say he is just a situational guy (true for most DTs anyways), but those "situations" are highly important as they are the ones that get your defense off the field.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    TFL has always been a key stat for me on DTs. You want your DT making the play on the other side of the ball and that is something Jones does often. OSU fan here and only Buckeye I really wanted us to draft. Think he is going to free up the edges and eliminate the ability for QBs to step up when that outside pressure comes. He will make our pass rush much more effective.

Have heard fans say he is just a situational guy (true for most DTs anyways), but those "situations" are highly important as they are the ones that get your defense off the field.
    Even if a guy starts as situational who knows where his career will go.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches