Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 147
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I think Grayson is gone. Hogan & Rypien would need to compete.

    As per your other comment I'd say Trevor did alright for us after sitting behind Manning and Brock for a few years. That is just an example on our team. I'd also say that there are two current NFL superstars who'd begrudgingly disagree with you as well (Tom Brady & Aaron Rodgers). Both sat behind older QBs and then stepped in and have won SBs. In the more modern of times one could argue that Patrick Mahomes is where he is now as a result of sitting behind Alex Smith.

    I'd also argue that it is more important than EVER to have a true succession plan with a veteran in place and a young guy behind him. The professional players, especially on defense, are just soo much better than in college. Fronts, disguises and speed are all factors. In the NFL it is typically more important to play under center which MANY young QBs in college do not do or don't do much. So taking those reps in practice and in the off-season is key. As is going over the mental reps while shadowing the starter.
    I think coming to the conclusion that Mahomes is where is is as a "result" of sitting behind Alex Smith is a load of crap. Did it help, I am sure it did to a certain degree, but he is just an elite player. If you value sitting behind a veteran so much, and you want to use the examples of Mahomes, Brady, and Rodgers to support that argument, can I use literally the hundreds of guys who have sat behind veterans and failed to support mine ? Because I can easily win that argument on numbers alone.

    A succession plan like with Brock Osweiler ? After sitting behind Peyton Manning for a full 4 years ? The facts are, it comes down to the specific guy and what he is able to do on the football field. The red shirt approach in the NFL is a proven non-factor in the development of quarterbacks, and in recent times young quarterbacks have proven that if they can play, they can enter the NFL and play. This approach is a dated one, and as I said, you can go back and see me support this in the past, but it just isn't a tried and true method. For every Aaron Rodgers you can name, I could name 100 plus guys who went into similar situations and didn't work out.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,763
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I think coming to the conclusion that Mahomes is where is is as a "result" of sitting behind Alex Smith is a load of crap. Did it help, I am sure it did to a certain degree, but he is just an elite player. If you value sitting behind a veteran so much, and you want to use the examples of Mahomes, Brady, and Rodgers to support that argument, can I use literally the hundreds of guys who have sat behind veterans and failed to support mine ? Because I can easily win that argument on numbers alone.

    A succession plan like with Brock Osweiler ? After sitting behind Peyton Manning for a full 4 years ? The facts are, it comes down to the specific guy and what he is able to do on the football field. The red shirt approach in the NFL is a proven non-factor in the development of quarterbacks, and in recent times young quarterbacks have proven that if they can play, they can enter the NFL and play. This approach is a dated one, and as I said, you can go back and see me support this in the past, but it just isn't a tried and true method. For every Aaron Rodgers you can name, I could name 100 plus guys who went into similar situations and didn't work out.
    But on the same coin there are a lot of players who get thrown into the fire early, and wash out. It's just impossible to say they wouldn't have fared better with more developmental time. You're not wrong, at the end of the day the guy needs to have the talent, but I just dont think there is definitive evidence either way to starting or sitting. In that case I'd rather a guy get a year or two to work on his issues. If it doesn't work, he was at least afforded the time to work on his issues, and then you don't have to play the what ifs. Then you know your error was in the scouting department, and can adjust accordingly.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    713
    I see both sides, and we will get a glimpse of where Drew Lock is during the Hall of Fame game. I do lean on the side of letting the man sit and develop. As one poster pointed out to me the other day......it's not what "I" want, its what the men in charge want.....and it certainly appears that the men in charge agree with ME. :-) Flacco will play, and in my belief, he will play well. This will allow Drew time to develop better habits. Footwork and reading NFL defenses. { I also have stated, Flacco may go down early, and our back up would need to play....would prefer to not allow Lock to get on the field until he's ready....lets not ruin him } I love the fact that we have Rypien on the team, and he can grow right along with Lock. VERY similar to Kubiak and Elway. When Elway missed games....we had a very game Kubiak come in and salvage wins for us. I really think Elway is showing growth in his position. This is exactly what we didn't see in Vance Joseph. He did not learn from his mistakes.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    713
    By the way.....we will never know how Oz would have faired had he stayed in Denver.....he just might.....I say might , not definitively saying he would have, but having the same coaches , offense and familiarity.....he might have done pretty well. Instead, he got a little butt hurt, followed the money and got put in a very difficult situation and ultimately failed.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    land of the firebird
    Posts
    8,045
    Its not accurate saying its one way or another. Everyones different. Its up to the coaches and player to figure out what works best and go from there.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lone Tree
    Posts
    2,198
    Rypien will come out of camp as the #2 QB. People will freak out but he Lock needs time to develop. I can also see Elway doing this to ease any tension Flacco would have playing in front of the future franchise QB.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,688
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Rypien will come out of camp as the #2 QB. People will freak out but he Lock needs time to develop. I can also see Elway doing this to ease any tension Flacco would have playing in front of the future franchise QB.
    I disagree, Rypien will be 3rd string/practice squad. Scangarello will give his full attention to Lock


    Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    california
    Posts
    1,829
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Rypien will come out of camp as the #2 QB. People will freak out but he Lock needs time to develop. I can also see Elway doing this to ease any tension Flacco would have playing in front of the future franchise QB.
    How can this happen. Lock who was projected to be a 1st rounder slid to top of 2nd round . Nothing against Rypien but he wasnt even drafted . I expect Lock to come into camp and push Flacco. By start of the season it will be Flacco #1 , Lock #2 , Hogan #3 and Rypien ps

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,297
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Rypien will come out of camp as the #2 QB. People will freak out but he Lock needs time to develop. I can also see Elway doing this to ease any tension Flacco would have playing in front of the future franchise QB.
    That would be an unprecedented move. Rypien went undrafted and he doesn't need time to develop? He's competing for a PS spot or possibly #3 QB. Lock is competing with Hogan for #2, and will likely easily take that spot before coming in to replace Flacco somewhere around week 12.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21,117
    Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    How can this happen. Lock who was projected to be a 1st rounder slid to top of 2nd round . Nothing against Rypien but he wasnt even drafted . I expect Lock to come into camp and push Flacco. By start of the season it will be Flacco #1 , Lock #2 , Hogan #3 and Rypien ps
    They won't keep 4 QBs.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    That would be an unprecedented move. Rypien went undrafted and he doesn't need time to develop? He's competing for a PS spot or possibly #3 QB. Lock is competing with Hogan for #2, and will likely easily take that spot before coming in to replace Flacco somewhere around week 12.
    Lock is not competing with Hogan for #2. Elway would not use a 2nd round pick (especially a pick he moved up for) just to compete with Hogan. If Hogan had the same potential Elway would have passed on drafting a quarterback. Rypien was a gift to not use a draft pick.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 04-28-2019 at 08:50 AM.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,763
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    They won't keep 4 QBs.
    There is an outside chance we have 3QBs on the active roster. If we are indeed trying to win now, Hogans veteran presence will help Flacco during in game situations. Helping breakdown coverages when the defense is on the field, and helping in the QB room during the week. Lock and Rypien will have their plates full just transitioning to the pros. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rypien on the PS, and everyone else on the active roster week 1. It will be super interesting to see who runs the scout team week in and out between Ryp and Lock. Gives two totally different dynamics. Lock would provide a good Mahomes type to practice against during chiefs week(not saying he's that good, but could give a similar style of play)

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,908
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Rypien will come out of camp as the #2 QB. People will freak out but he Lock needs time to develop. I can also see Elway doing this to ease any tension Flacco would have playing in front of the future franchise QB.
    Can you break down the rest of the post TC depth chart for us?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Lock is not competing with Hogan for #2. Elway would not use a 2nd round pick (especially a pick he moved up for) just to compete with Hogan. If Hogan had the same potential Elway would have passed on drafting a quarterback. Rypien was a gift to not use a draft pick.
    Elway has said Lock is competing for the backup role


    @johnelway
    Following Following @johnelway
    More
    We’ve selected OL Dalton Risner from Kansas St and QB Drew Lock from Missouri in the second round.

    Dalton bring great versatility to our OL along w/toughness and attitude.

    Drew was a four-year starter in the SEC, and he’s going to learn from Joe and compete for the backup role.


    5:17 PM - 26 Apr 2019

    https://twitter.com/johnelway/status...850246/photo/1

    from what I have read it is known Lock has issues that needs to be fixed and a smart team will help him work through those issues before throwing him into a starting role...some have compared to Rodgers when he came into the NFL
    Last edited by Hadez; 04-28-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    There is an outside chance we have 3QBs on the active roster. If we are indeed trying to win now, Hogans veteran presence will help Flacco during in game situations. Helping breakdown coverages when the defense is on the field, and helping in the QB room during the week. Lock and Rypien will have their plates full just transitioning to the pros. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rypien on the PS, and everyone else on the active roster week 1. It will be super interesting to see who runs the scout team week in and out between Ryp and Lock. Gives two totally different dynamics. Lock would provide a good Mahomes type to practice against during chiefs week(not saying he's that good, but could give a similar style of play)
    My guess is we will use preseason performance and trade interest to determine if we have to keep a 3rd qb or be able to get them to the PS
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •