The current state of the team

Let's start on offense, specifically the QB. I think we're in the best position since 2014, Manning's last good season. Flacco is no world beater, but I can't imagine his performance being worse than what we had from 2015-2018. Plus, we have a legit prospect behind him in Lock who can sit and learn for at least a year. Physically, he's more talented than Osweiler, Siemian, and Keenum. Mentally, he seems more mature and frankly smarter than Lynch.

Now the skill positions. Our RB corps is very good. Lindsay is a dynamic home run hitter. Freeman is a physical presence with decent speed. Booker is at least serviceable. Assuming Sanders is healthy, the WR corps should be decent. Sutton and Hamilton should improve in year 2. Patrick and Winfree are intriguing young talents. Our TE corps was boosted greatly with Fant. A ridiculous physical talent who could dominate. The other three, well, hopefully at least one can stay healthy.

O-line. On paper, anyway, it seems better than what we've had in a while. And of course we have Munchak coaching them up. The right side seems set with Risner as RG and James as RT. I think McGovern is at least serviceable. The left side? A bit iffy. Leary is good but coming off a serious injury. Bolles is talented, but can be a headache with his penchant for holding and other penalties.

The defense. Outside pass rush? Yeah, Miller and Chubb. Depth is a concern, however. The D-line is solid, and the inside pass rush should improve with Dre'Mont Jones. However, Gotsis and Wolfe will be FA after this year. ILB? Certainly not the strongest area. Can A.J. Johnson be a diamond in the rough? The secondary got beefed up with the addition of Jackson and Callahan. However, losing Harris would create a huge void. Can Yiadom and Bausby add anything?

Finally, the coaching staff. Munchak and Kollar are two of the best in the business. Scangarello is unproven, but also intriguing. Fangio is a defensive mastermind, but can he be a good head coach? Wade Phillips and Dick LeBeau were not. Bill Belichick is. We'll see.

Anyway, there you have it. What do the rest of you think of the current team?

I think I have a lot better feeling about our future now than I did in the previous 3 years.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

This is probably the best version of our team since 2015.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

For those on "Suicide Watch" because we didn't Draft an ILB, you might be interested in hearing that Coach Fangio said that Justin Hollins has experience at OLB AND ILB. And will have a chance to compete at both positions. And I predict that he will be an upgrade over Josie Jewell if he is indeed kept as an ILB.

But yes, the signing of Fangio, Munchak, Scangarello, and Flacco instantly made the Broncos a better team. And we addressed weapons for Flacco (Fant), the OL in FA and the Draft, Pass Rushing (Jones), and a backup QB who has a helluva arm, and appears to be pretty smart. Are the Broncos going to be able to compete with KC or San Diego? We'll know soon enough. Where there's Life, there's hope.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Let's start on offense, specifically the QB. I think we're in the best position since 2014, Manning's last good season. Flacco is no world beater, but I can't imagine his performance being worse than what we had from 2015-2018. Plus, we have a legit prospect behind him in Lock who can sit and learn for at least a year. Physically, he's more talented than Osweiler, Siemian, and Keenum. Mentally, he seems more mature and frankly smarter than Lynch.

Now the skill positions. Our RB corps is very good. Lindsay is a dynamic home run hitter. Freeman is a physical presence with decent speed. Booker is at least serviceable. Assuming Sanders is healthy, the WR corps should be decent. Sutton and Hamilton should improve in year 2. Patrick and Winfree are intriguing young talents. Our TE corps was boosted greatly with Fant. A ridiculous physical talent who could dominate. The other three, well, hopefully at least one can stay healthy.

O-line. On paper, anyway, it seems better than what we've had in a while. And of course we have Munchak coaching them up. The right side seems set with Risner as RG and James as RT. I think McGovern is at least serviceable. The left side? A bit iffy. Leary is good but coming off a serious injury. Bolles is talented, but can be a headache with his penchant for holding and other penalties.

The defense. Outside pass rush? Yeah, Miller and Chubb. Depth is a concern, however. The D-line is solid, and the inside pass rush should improve with Dre'Mont Jones. However, Gotsis and Wolfe will be FA after this year. ILB? Certainly not the strongest area. Can A.J. Johnson be a diamond in the rough? The secondary got beefed up with the addition of Jackson and Callahan. However, losing Harris would create a huge void. Can Yiadom and Bausby add anything?

Finally, the coaching staff. Munchak and Kollar are two of the best in the business. Scangarello is unproven, but also intriguing. Fangio is a defensive mastermind, but can he be a good head coach? Wade Phillips and Dick LeBeau were not. Bill Belichick is. We'll see.

Anyway, there you have it. What do the rest of you think of the current team?
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I think I have a lot better feeling about our future now than I did in the previous 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    This is probably the best version of our team since 2015.
    I pretty much agree with everything you guys have said. I'll summarize my views, and hopefully they do not overlap too much....mind you, that would be a good thing:

I believe the coaching changes will benefit us, though it is unclear how much at this time. And Fangio will get more collectively out of the individual talent we have on D, therefore we instantly improved on that side of the ball. That is why I am not too concerned about who we drafted this year on D, though we did make some quality decisions in FA. I believe we have enough skill to complement the ability he has to maximize the collective unit we have on our roster.

What has been our weaker side - O, now has the brighter future, in my books, from a talent perspective. That is not a shot at our D, rather a fact about the player talent we are accumulating. I am not a Flacco fan at this point of his career, but he might surprise, and give us one or even two decent years. But having a bright, young, thoughtful gun behind him, who probably has a big chip on his shoulder, spells promise and realistic hope for the long run. And for me, sealing the deal on our QB situation for a decade or more (hopefully), allows us to be more proactive in future FA and Draft settings, unhampered by that painful need to chase down "the guy" to run the team. Lots of wasted draft capital, often reaching, often losing out on better players...until the QB formula is mastered. Perhaps we can move on now, finally. I love it!

Continuing with O....I am excited about the youth and talent that we are amassing! Our RBs are just that. Young and proven! Two potential studs for the long term. Check. As for Receivers, we have at least 3 young guns who might anchor this receiving corps for the next decade. My only question is whether or not Sanders will be effective for much longer, and if not, we may need to go find one more decent WR to secure the deal. Check. Our Oline looks to be in the best shape it has for many years. We added talent in FA, and now we have Risner. If they continue to gel, we have loads of skill and youth in the unit, Check.

Already mentioned, but I believe we have a solid D in skill alone, but Fangio will increase the value of that group. And when you have forces like Von and Chubb to put fear into opposing QBs, along with quality players throughout, things look pretty good. Now, we do not know what will become of CHJ, so that is a bit of a question mark, but we made some good acquisitions in FA to help sustain overall effectiveness.

But lets not forget, an improved O will help the D stay off the field a little more, and keep their energy level at a productive level. Over the last couple of years they have shown signs of being worn, while trying to do too much. You need an O at some point. I believe we have an O, now, and I believe it will only get better.

I will not go into Special Teams too much, but we need all 3 units to be solid, and that is also where I trust in our coaches to make improvements.

To sum things up....I am really happy with the direction we are going! I do not necessarily believe that we are a deep playoff team this season, though we may muster enough wins to get into postseason play. But I am energized knowing that the future may be very bright, especially if Lock becomes "the guy" we've been missing. because when you put him and Lindsay and Freeman and Sutton and Fant and Risner and Chubb and all the other young players together, along with the vets (Von has some good years ahead!), this may be a group that grows together and wins together, for a long time!

We should compete for playoffs

We still have work to do to be a contender.

Time will tell but it seems we have a better outlook now than the previous two years.

Not to be a downer but we are thin in areas...more so than some teams...just too many holes to properly fix in one year. Injuries push some teams to lower playoff seeds or other teams barely out of the playoffs. Injuries could push up into the top 10 drafting again. This is something that will take multiple years of FO working with good coaching to get to the point where injuries (or key player losses) push us to 9-11 wins instead of top 10 in drafting.

Our goals are realistically set higher than last year imo and we are on the right path imo.
    Last edited by Hadez; 04-28-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Not only haven't we won many games the past few years, we've been boring. If you're going to be bad at least be fun. We've completely rebuilt the offense over the past two seasons, including players and coaches.

I think the QBs from top to bottom are greatly improved over last year. Flacco will likely be much more willing to throw deep to Sutton for more 50/50 balls. Lock is a unique talent (that needs work) and I have a hunch Ripien may turn out to be our version of Nick Mullens.

If one of the 3 returning TEs can step up, and there's some good potential here, and assuming Fant plays well, we have a chance to have a really good TE tandem. I hope our offense tries to exploit the mismatches Fant and Lindsay cause and use Lindsay more in the passing game. There's not a LB or safety in the NFL that can cover him.

If Leary can recover from his injury, this should be the best OL we've had in years. If he isn't recovered, we'll still be better than we have been recently.

I feel a lot more optimistic about CHJ after hearing Elway's comments and tone after the draft. I think they'll get something worked out. If they do, the D should be solid.

gerontion, nice summary and agree with your comments.

The team is built to be much more competitive. Im curious to see if Special Teams can improve on punt and kick returns.