• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samparnell
    Soy Capitan Meshpoint
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Yes. At the start of the off season I believed we would need a large run stuffer for a 3-4 defense, but Fangio runs a 3-4 under system I believe. I also thought that to implement this he would need athletic and sound in coverage ILBers, but he has surprised there as well.
    Denver's D has played one-gap/spill run D for the past four years. The Front Seven in that style are assigned gaps to attack when they read run steps from the O-Line. Reading is minimal, quickness and speed are essential.

After Vic Fangio was hired, there was some speculation that he would run an odd front two-gap/funnel run D. Switching from one to two-gap is a big deal because of what the Front Seven defenders are asked to do. The down linemen often line up in even numbered techniques and must be big, heavy and strong enough that they can't be moved from LOS by one blocker. They must command a double and hold their ground until they read which gap to go to. They must soak up as much of the blocking as possible to keep their Backers free.

The Inside Backers have overlapping triangles of responsibility (opposite A gap to their C gap) and must read a progression of keys (usually based on the uncovered Guards) and the blocks of the O-Line to tell them where to go. They must be stout enough to shed blocks and make a play on runs inside the Tackles. The Outside Backers need to be big and strong enough to set the edge and turn outside runs inside where the pursuit is.

When free agency began, Denver had no 0 tech who fit a two-gap run D. If they were going to play two-gap, they needed at least a couple of guys like Danny Shelton who was (and still is, I think) available. I guess they might re-sign Domata, but that might not happen. Shelby Harris is still the only D-Lineman listed as a NT, and Dre'Mont Jones is listed as DL along with Gooden (who I think will be a Backer), Johnson, Purcell and Winn. The only one of these guys who has "prototypical DT size" is Purcell.

All of this plus some reporting leads me to believe (for the moment) that Denver will probably use one-gap control/attack when they read run. When Denver selected Dre'Mont at #71, Khalen Saunders, Daylon Mack, PJ Johnson and Dontavius Russell were available DTs of "prototypical size". It seems that Fangio doesn't need giant, block-eating DTs. Drafting Dre'Mont, who played in a one-gap D at Ohio State, signing Jaylen Johnson and listing Shelby as NT, seem to point to one-gap run D. If so, that's a good thing because making the switch to two-gap would require some different types of defenders.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• SaltySnipes
      Bench Warmer
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      Malik may not have been over paid if he had stayed here. When he left for JAX he moved to a 7/9 technique. He very well might have done better here playing the 5.
      Absolutely correct -

Comment

• TheAsianPA
        Captain
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Denver's D has played one-gap/spill run D for the past four years. The Front Seven in that style are assigned gaps to attack when they read run steps from the O-Line. Reading is minimal, quickness and speed are essential.

After Vic Fangio was hired, there was some speculation that he would run an odd front two-gap/funnel run D. Switching from one to two-gap is a big deal because of what the Front Seven defenders are asked to do. The down linemen often line up in even numbered techniques and must be big, heavy and strong enough that they can't be moved from LOS by one blocker. They must command a double and hold their ground until they read which gap to go to. They must soak up as much of the blocking as possible to keep their Backers free.

The Inside Backers have overlapping triangles of responsibility (opposite A gap to their C gap) and must read a progression of keys (usually based on the uncovered Guards) and the blocks of the O-Line to tell them where to go. They must be stout enough to shed blocks and make a play on runs inside the Tackles. The Outside Backers need to be big and strong enough to set the edge and turn outside runs inside where the pursuit is.

When free agency began, Denver had no 0 tech who fit a two-gap run D. If they were going to play two-gap, they needed at least a couple of guys like Danny Shelton who was (and still is, I think) available. I guess they might re-sign Domata, but that might not happen. Shelby Harris is still the only D-Lineman listed as a NT, and Dre'Mont Jones is listed as DL along with Gooden (who I think will be a Backer), Johnson, Purcell and Winn. The only one of these guys who has "prototypical DT size" is Purcell.

All of this plus some reporting leads me to believe (for the moment) that Denver will probably use one-gap control/attack when they read run. When Denver selected Dre'Mont at #71, Khalen Saunders, Daylon Mack, PJ Johnson and Dontavius Russell were available DTs of "prototypical size". It seems that Fangio doesn't need giant, block-eating DTs. Drafting Dre'Mont, who played in a one-gap D at Ohio State, signing Jaylen Johnson and listing Shelby as NT, seem to point to one-gap run D. If so, that's a good thing because making the switch to two-gap would require some different types of defenders.
        Thanks for the breakdown Sam. It seems that after Fangio stating that he doesn't see the difference between a DT and DE that there wouldn't be a particular size difference. Will this affect the run game negatively? To me it seems there will be a lot of responsibility on Davis and Jewell since the D-line is going to be smaller and possibly struggle against a large run blocking O-line.
        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• samparnell
          Soy Capitan Meshpoint
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
          Thanks for the breakdown Sam. It seems that after Fangio stating that he doesn't see the difference between a DT and DE that there wouldn't be a particular size difference. Will this affect the run game negatively? To me it seems there will be a lot of responsibility on Davis and Jewell since the D-line is going to be smaller and possibly struggle against a large run blocking O-line.
          Six gaps, pursue to the sideline, defend backside/cutback. One-gap run D. Hat on hat spills runs outside. Doubling one defender opens a pursuit lane for another. Speed, penetration, gap control. Attack gap assignments versus read-and-react.

Comment

• conannilsen
            Special Teams
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            Six gaps, pursue to the sideline, defend backside/cutback. One-gap run D. Hat on hat spills runs outside. Doubling one defender opens a pursuit lane for another. Speed, penetration, gap control. Attack gap assignments versus read-and-react.
            Classic John Madden. Can remember that line in Madden back in the day. Sega Genesis, "The defense is reacting instead of attacking, they're gonna wanna switch up what they're doing here." Every time you got up a few touchdowns in a game.
            2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

• Freyaka
              Football Immortal
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
              Malik may not have been over paid if he had stayed here. When he left for JAX he moved to a 7/9 technique. He very well might have done better here playing the 5.
              And he did actually do decent in Jax. He was just overshadowed by a massive amount of talent at every position on defense.
              sigpic

Comment

• samparnell
                Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
                Classic John Madden. Can remember that line in Madden back in the day. Sega Genesis, "The defense is reacting instead of attacking, they're gonna wanna switch up what they're doing here." Every time you got up a few touchdowns in a game.
                Not familiar with it as I never played that game. Always ready to hear what John Madden has to say. He has some memorable stories.

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
                  Football Immortal
                  • Mar 2017

Why do does Denver not and try to bring Malik Jackson Back?
                  Last edited by DENVERSB50CHAMP; 05-16-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• samparnell
                    Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                    Why do does Denver not and try to brink Malik Jackson Back?
                    Probably limited cap space and negotiations with Chris Harris.

Comment

• TheAsianPA
                      Captain
                      • Oct 2015

10 million for his contract with a 17 million cap hit and higher next year. Too expensive.
                      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Freyaka
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jan 2007

A. I don't feel like we need him at this point. B. I feel like there is some bad blood there at this point.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                          team preacher
                          • Mar 2008

Malik is under contract with the Eagles.
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post

Ugh Sad Face ! Ugh !

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
                              Football Immortal
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                              : (

Comment

• Sam_Z
                                Banned User
                                • Dec 2004

Ugh Sad Face ! Ugh !
                                It didn’t take him long to sign with them, a matter of days after Jax cut him if I’m correct.

From what I’ve heard was that he wouldn’t fit Fangios system very well and he’s knows otherwise I’d say he just had a bad attitude towards Denver...

But I’m not dissing on him l, he did play a huge role in winning a super bowl here!

Comment

Working...
                                X