View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Is Baph right once again, demonstrating his supreme knowledge of all things football?

0 0%
  • Is Baph wrong and just being an idiot?

8 80.00%
  • Hunter Henry > Noah Fant

2 20.00%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bears6385 View Post
    See that is the problem...Ö.you are counting on rookies to get your defense to the next level THIS year. You are counting on guys who have not yet taken a pro snap to play at a very high level. I don't think that is reality at all.

Since you brought up the Bears, they were a top 10 defense in 2017 with top talent in Hicks, Goldman, Floyd,Fuller, Jackson. Bears did not become an elite defense until they traded for Mack. Who is your Mack?

Are the Chargers in any better shape than say the Titans who also added to their DL and secondary? If you want a BOLD prediction how about a healthy Eagles defense getting back to 2017 form.
    You guys get a kicker yet?

I do have to disagree with the Chargers/Titans comparison. Titans don't have a quarterback. You want my honest opinion, I think the Broncos have a better starter than the Titans do. I think the Bears might too, but it's mostly Nagy doing the heavy lifting. You guys had a good offseason, I think. Got some weapons that Nagy can really use. Got rid of Howard, who they never viewed as a receiver. NFC version of the Chiefs, except with a less talented QB, and better defense. I honestly don't know what KC is doing on defense. I think they've just resigned themselves to trying to outscore everybody. They concentrated on building their secondary. I don't think that's a wise philosophy. Especially when you're about to lose Tyreek Hill. They drafted a guy, but asking him to step in for Hill w/o missing a beat is like winning the lottery.

You think losing Fangio will have a significant impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    You guys get a kicker yet?

I do have to disagree with the Chargers/Titans comparison. Titans don't have a quarterback. You want my honest opinion, I think the Broncos have a better starter than the Titans do. I think the Bears might too, but it's mostly Nagy doing the heavy lifting. You guys had a good offseason, I think. Got some weapons that Nagy can really use. Got rid of Howard, who they never viewed as a receiver. NFC version of the Chiefs, except with a less talented QB, and better defense. I honestly don't know what KC is doing on defense. I think they've just resigned themselves to trying to outscore everybody. They concentrated on building their secondary. I don't think that's a wise philosophy. Especially when you're about to lose Tyreek Hill. They drafted a guy, but asking him to step in for Hill w/o missing a beat is like winning the lottery.

You think losing Fangio will have a significant impact?
    Bears have a lot of guys but I don't know if our kicker is even on our roster yet.

This whole thread is about elite defense, so we were not talking about anyone's O right now so Titans D may be better than Chargers in 2019. As for the Bears this season we have an elite D to go along with an O that Nagy has added to for this season. The biggest question will be with Trubisky, how much better will he be in his second year in Nagy's system. Truth be told I also think KC takes a big step back.

Losing Vic could have an impact, but these guys on D are so good and Pagano is very good at what he does. Pagano is not making any major changes on D but he is more aggressive with the blitz.
    Last edited by bears6385; 05-08-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Bears have a lot of guys but I don't know if our kicker is even on our roster yet.

This whole thread is about elite defense, so we were not talking about anyone's O right now so Titans D may be better than Chargers in 2019. As for the Bears this season we have an elite D to go along with an O that Nagy has added to for this season. The biggest question will be with Trubisky, how much better will he be in his second year in Nagy's system. Truth be told I also think KC takes a big step back.

Losing Vic could have an impact, but these guys on D are so good and Pagano is very good at what he does. Pagano is not making any major changes on D but he is more aggressive with the blitz.
    Thing about the Chargers though, is the main reason they got whipped so badly in the playoffs was because the Patriots took it to the interior of their defense. That's what they tried to address in the offseason. Titans probably won't sniff the playoffs, so it's really a non factor.

I agree about Trubisky. All signs point to him being better this year, though. I think a lot of QBs around the league would love playing for the Bears right now.

See that is the problem...Ö.you are counting on rookies to get your defense to the next level THIS year. You are counting on guys who have not yet taken a pro snap to play at a very high level. I don't think that is reality at all.

Since you brought up the Bears, they were a top 10 defense in 2017 with top talent in Hicks, Goldman, Floyd,Fuller, Jackson. Bears did not become an elite defense until they traded for Mack. Who is your Mack?

Are the Chargers in any better shape than say the Titans who also added to their DL and secondary? If you want a BOLD prediction how about a healthy Eagles defense getting back to 2017 form.
    no, i'm not counting on rookies to get the defense to the next level. i'm counting on them to fill needs on the defense that were exposed last season. the chargers already have two pro bowl outside pass rushers in joey bosa and melvin ingram, they have multiple pro bowlers in the secondary.

they were already a good defense but their weakness was inside pass rush, LB'er (especially when the unit was decimated), and a strong safety playing out of position getting burned trying to play single high.

if jerry tillery is even half as advertised, that is going to generate pressure up the middle and not allow QB's to step up to avoid their two elite edge rushers like brady did in that playoff game. it is going to make the world of difference if tillery is successful.. not only that but pairing derwin james with a true FS (the best FS prospect in the draft) is going to solidify a lot of their issues over the middle if he is successful, along with getting their rangy LB'ers back healthy.

the gus bradley system absolutely requires a rangy single high safety and the chargers haven't had one since hiring him as the DC.......until now.

we don't need a mack to make our defense elite, we already have elite pass rushers on the edge. we need players in other spots to fill holes on an already top 10 defense.

by the way, don't be surprised if somehow ndamukong suh ends up on that DL as well.

Welcome Back! #85

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Thing about the Chargers though, is the main reason they got whipped so badly in the playoffs was because the Patriots took it to the interior of their defense. That's what they tried to address in the offseason. Titans probably won't sniff the playoffs, so it's really a non factor.

I agree about Trubisky. All signs point to him being better this year, though. I think a lot of QBs around the league would love playing for the Bears right now.

that and there was no inside pass rush to disrupt brady, i don't think people understand the impact that will have if jerry tillery has success.

Welcome Back! #85

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post

that and there was no inside pass rush to disrupt brady, i don't think people understand the impact that will have if jerry tillery has success.
    Save the your the only one who understands how to get to Brady.
    Denver has beat Brady more than any team, and Pot, Roast (in 2013), Malik Jackson and Wolfeís ability to collapse the pocket is why Denver is 2-0 in the Title game vs them.

Also, Baphs why do you think Tillery went in the late 20ís if he is the game changer you claim he is? ( note not smack just a question)

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    When you say division rivals almost always split and then I show you thatís not true with facts like Denver going 9-2 vs the Bolts then yes that completely crushes your argument.
    you are failing hard.....show me where i said division rivals almost always split, ill wait.

You were the one who pointed to 2013 & 2014 ( Denver 4-1 vs the Chargers those two seasons)
    Your said the 2014 Broncos split....... the lie detector test determined that was a lie.
    that wasn't a lie, i made a mistake. but those were just examples. my point is and always was that the better team looses or splits to lesser teams every single year. i was just looking for examples of that. i could go back several years and come up with literally hundreds of examples of this but i'm not going to waste my time.

Now your going all the way back to 1997 lol!!!!
    Did Denver split with Oakland in 1995?, 1996? What about 98? Nope Elways last window the Broncos dominated Oakland 7-1 over 4 years.
    Beating a better team in your division once out of 8 games is not a split.....😉
    IT LITERALLY HAPPENS EVERY YEAR, THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE. splitting with a team is splitting with a team, it doesn't mean they are on the same level as them just because it happens one year. you are agreeing with me without even knowing it

The Broncos have split with the Chargers in 2016&17 with Mclovin aka Siemien and last year with Keenum. 3-3. That is nothing like Denver vs Oakland in the late 90ís, fail!!!!
    you are absolutely hopeless. what then do you call the dolphins splitting with the pats 3 out of the last 4 years? you clearly think the dolphins have been just as good as the patriots since 2015.

these are just examples.......the broncos could be the very worst team in the NFL and the chargers could go 15-1 and that one loss could go against the broncos and that would surprise nobody...

that actually happened in 2000, the worst chargers team of all time only won one game and that one game? they beat the 12-4 chiefs.....

you thinking this means anything is kind of mind blowing.

The original argument before you began your spin session was me asking you if the Bolts and their top 5 defense would finally sweep the Broncos, now itís turned into Baphs going to other divisions and way back into time trying to sound smart instead of just accepting defeat.

Maybe with your teams two sure fire pro bowl additions in the draft you guys will sweep us for a change, with Flacco i doubt you have us even wining a game right?
    im, not spinning anything....you are literally incapable of understanding what i'm actually saying and that in itself is very frustrating. if you are doing this on purpose then i would say that's some quality trolling and you deserve credit for that. but if you're not, just WOOOOOOOW.

i'm generally speaking, no matter what teams we are talking about there are upsets every single year in every single division. I couldn't care less about the broncos, they are not a threat in the division at the moment and the most likely scenario is we do sweep them. it wouldn't be bold to say the much more superior chargers team would sweep them but at the same time upsets happen in divisional games every single year, which is common knowledge.

if only you were able to grsap that concept literally everyone else understands. just because you split with us the last two seasons does not mean you are as good as us the last two seasons......just like the dolphins splitting with the patriots 3 out of the last 4 years does not mean they were just as good over that span.

do yourself a favor and use your brain more and your mouth less.

Welcome Back! #85

Denver has beat Brady more than any team, and Pot, Roast (in 2013), Malik Jackson and Wolfe’s ability to collapse the pocket is why Denver is 2-0 in the Title game vs them.

Also, Baphs why do you think Tillery went in the late 20’s if he is the game changer you claim he is? ( note not smack just a question)
    Jesus dude....i'm not saying i'm the only one that knows how to disrupt brady. i'm saying i don't think people understand the impact tillery will have (if he has success, nothing is certain) by generating pressure up the middle, something the chargers have lacked and the main reason why brady wasn't getting touched all game when they beat us.

as far as your honest question goes, all i can do is speculate but there were a couple other DT's that are more well rounded than he is, but also there were consistency and immaturity concerns than stem from earlier in his college career.

in his freshman year he pulled a albert haynesworth and stomped on a guy's hand and helmet. he has interests outside of football that caused concern to some teams because he went overseas to study Japanese culture.

so out of the gate the dude is likely just to be out there during pass rushing downs because he has to develop the rest of his skill set, which lowered his draft stock. but from a pass rushing perspective (which is what the chargers need) the only other interior DT in this years draft that was comparable was quinnen williams who went 3rd overall in the draft.

Welcome Back! #85

what about the best inside pass rusher in this years draft? any chance that could help? the chargers had no inside pass rush to disrupt brady, no healthy lb'ers, and a strong safety playing out of position getting burned all game long.

all of those things have been addressed yet you only want to talk about one LB'er we added? never mind the fact that 3 of our best LB'ers are now healthy, including the best one we have denzel perryman. none of them played in the pats game.

but yes, the only thing different is we brought in one LB'er........
    that is totally debatable

you think tillery 30 tackles, 8 sacks, 10.5 TFL and 3FF showed more than
    Q Williams 71 tackles, 19.5 TFL 8 sacks

tillery was considered any where from a 1st to 3rd round pick, and was red flagged by some teams for serious character concerns

he isn't even ranked as high as dre'mont jones whom was ranked by walter football as the 4th best DT in the draft and a 1st round talent
    whom had 40 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 13 TFL, 2 passes batted, 1 FF, 1 int TD....and we got him in the 3rd round

perryman was no way your best LB, J brown was and he played in 15 games

you also lost a former or let walk a former 1st pick in Cory luiget, the midget 1st round cb verrett, LB kyle Emmanuel who was one of your seasons starting linebacker
    Last edited by arapaho; 05-08-2019 at 02:13 PM.

no, i'm not counting on rookies to get the defense to the next level. i'm counting on them to fill needs on the defense that were exposed last season. the chargers already have two pro bowl outside pass rushers in joey bosa and melvin ingram, they have multiple pro bowlers in the secondary.

they were already a good defense but their weakness was inside pass rush, LB'er (especially when the unit was decimated), and a strong safety playing out of position getting burned trying to play single high.

if jerry tillery is even half as advertised, that is going to generate pressure up the middle and not allow QB's to step up to avoid their two elite edge rushers like brady did in that playoff game. it is going to make the world of difference if tillery is successful.. not only that but pairing derwin james with a true FS (the best FS prospect in the draft) is going to solidify a lot of their issues over the middle if he is successful, along with getting their rangy LB'ers back healthy.

the gus bradley system absolutely requires a rangy single high safety and the chargers haven't had one since hiring him as the DC.......until now.

we don't need a mack to make our defense elite, we already have elite pass rushers on the edge. we need players in other spots to fill holes on an already top 10 defense.

by the way, don't be surprised if somehow ndamukong suh ends up on that DL as well.
    Not buying it...….Your very words say these rookies have to produce at a high level THIS year, be it as an inside pass rusher or single high FS.

Yes the Chargers are a very good defense right now. Your own words, IF Jerry Tillery can generate pressure inside, IF Tillery is successful. Same with Adderley, it's IF he is successful, IF his production translates. IF,IF,IF that's a lot of damn IF's. Truth be told you have no idea IF they will perform as you hope they will, and yes they will have to perform at the level you want them to for the Chargers D to get to the elite level. Tough ask for any rookie.

Your rangy LB's.....good but not great, problem is you need at least one of those LB's to be great. You need a star at every level of your defense to be elite. Top 5 defenses from last year, all had pro bowl or all pro talent at every level. You have Bosa, Ingram, Hayward, and James, all pro bowl talents, but not enough to make your D elite. A pro bowl LB and you might be in the conversation. You have an opening at OLB so find your Mack and become elite.

BTW Suh is over the hill, did not do much even with Aaron Donald (the best defensive player in the league) next to him.

Denver has beat Brady more than any team, and Pot, Roast (in 2013), Malik Jackson and Wolfe’s ability to collapse the pocket is why Denver is 2-0 in the Title game vs them.

Also, Baphs why do you think Tillery went in the late 20’s if he is the game changer you claim he is? ( note not smack just a question)
    Incorrect. The Dolphins and Jets have beaten Brady more than Broncos. If Brady gets protection, he can pick apart any defense including Denver's.

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    that is totally debatable

you think tillery 30 tackles, 8 sacks, 10.5 TFL and 3FF showed more than
    Q Williams 71 tackles, 19.5 TFL 8 sacks

tillery was considered any where from a 1st to 3rd round pick, and was red flagged by some teams for serious character concerns

he isn't even ranked as high as dre'mont jones whom was ranked by walter football as the 4th best DT in the draft and a 1st round talent
    whom had 40 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 13 TFL, 2 passes batted, 1 FF, 1 int TD....and we got him in the 3rd round
    a couple things here. you're right that it is arguable between him and Williams (in terms of inside pass rushing ability) but other than that not really. yeah there are inconsistency concerns (which got better last year) the character concerns all stem from when he was a freshman and haven't been repeated since but yeah it's a concern. but as far as his ability to rush the passer from the interior? nobody was comparable except Williams IMO

he wins at the point of attack just as much as Williams does, he has a pass rushing grade the same as Williams. but he isn't a complete player like Williams yet and he isn't great against the run yet, which is the biggest reason why he was a low first round prospect(he won't be an every down lineman at first). Williams is a top 3 blue chip player, the chargers did well for themselves at #28 to fill a huge need with a talented inside pass rusher..

also, Walter football is horrible about keeping up to date. if they or anyone else have him rated that low it's because that profile was made before or early in his senior season, his break out season where he dominated week in and week out.

the NFL draft network has him rated #29
    pff has him rated #7

then there is this.....

https://ftw.usatoday.com/gallery/201...s-in-the-draft

We’ve created our most extensive big board yet, analyzing eight 2019 mock drafts from around the internet – the latest revisions from USA TODAY, NFL.com, Draftwire, Pro Football Focus, CBS Sports, ESPN’s Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. and The Ringer – and found each player’s average draft position.
    according to them tillery's average mock around the internet was #29.1 so anyone that had him going in the third round clearly is an old scouting report or is in the minority.

perryman was no way your best LB, J brown was and he played in 15 games
    umm no, they have two completely different skill sets and without perryman our run defense suffers dramatically. brown has been great at times and bad at other times. perryman is always solid but he can never stay healthy.

you also lost a former or let walk a former 1st pick in Cory luiget, the midget 1st round cb verrett, LB kyle Emmanuel who was one of your seasons starting linebacker
    luiget was decent at times but he could never seem to generate a consistent pass rush from the inside or at least be disruptive and tillery is his replacement. verrett was difficult to see walk, I hope he can stay healthy in SF because he's a tremendous talent. but he has been a non facto for the most part because he has rarely been healthy.

3 out of the 4 years he was a charger he never played in more than 4 games, including only playing in 5 games in the last two years. emmanuel was the only LB'er to survive last season (from the original 53) and he was our worst one, losing him is pretty much a non factor as long as the LB'er corps don't get decimated again, they didn't want him back and he retired from the NFL.

getting our LB'er back healthy has a much bigger impact than any of those guys we lost. I don't see a lot of holes on he chargers defense, it's a very talented defense and got better this off season.

offense? now that's another story.
    Last edited by baphamet; 05-08-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Welcome Back! #85

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    Incorrect. The Dolphins and Jets have beaten Brady more than Broncos. If Brady gets protection, he can pick apart any defense including Denver's.
    sadly, i agree and there needs to be pressure up the middle and from the edge, not just from the edge....

Welcome Back! #85

sadly, i agree and there needs to be pressure up the middle and from the edge, not just from the edge....
    Every time I hear people say Brady can be beaten with pressure up the middle I laugh, as if this were an easy formula. Truth is, Brady can be beaten up the middle with pressure if the Pats' interior offensive line is weak. In the last 2 AFCCGs against Denver, the Broncos d-line exploited our weak center and guards. That's really it. Denver does not hold a magical formula that 31 other teams don't have. It was all about fortunate timing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    Iím talking about when it matters the playoffs Denver 3-1 in Title games something you said the Pats are all about Denver is 2-0 vs Brady.

Beating Brady regular season is one thing the postseason is a whole different situation.
    Denver held Brady under 20 twice in those title games, the Giants who also had a great pass rush ( inside and out) also beat the GOAT twice in the big game.
    Beating the best postseason Qb of all-time when it matters is something to brag about in my opinion.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 05-08-2019 at 08:50 PM.