Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: Darron Lee

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vernon, British Columbia
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Jets fans are excited that he's gone. According to them he played soft, couldn't diagnose and often filled the wrong gaps and while decent in coverage was n't nearly good enough to make up for his shortcomings.

    I also question the 5th in coverage because I assume it's from PFF, and their rankings are often questionable. I have two Broncos specific issues with their rankings, both where they had Broncos players way higher than their play.
    Exactly true. Its questionable for sure. I'd rather an ILB stop the run first. In a bend vs break scenario, the run needs to addressed first. May not need too many passes out there, so covering doesnt matter too much in that case. Perfect opponent to establish PA against. Should see many 3rd and shorts.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,720
    I swear, I despise Elways overall lack of interest in the ILB position. A 6th round pick, really? Oh, because Todd Davis and Josey Jewel are so enjoyable to watch in coverage. As long as we continue to neglect this position, our defense will never be elite.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,489
    Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    I swear, I despise Elways overall lack of interest in the ILB position. A 6th round pick, really? Oh, because Todd Davis and Josey Jewel are so enjoyable to watch in coverage. As long as we continue to neglect this position, our defense will never be elite.
    Well once Gase got GM control, we were never getting him unless he was cut. Gase has a vendetta against us. Plus, Allbright actually implied we made a better offer, and they sent him to the chiefs for less return.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clinton, MD (via Wash., DC)
    Posts
    2,685
    Quote Originally Posted by MHOC View Post
    Also to note... Gase hates us.

    Gase is a snake.

    Every time I see him I see his 'mentor', Josh McDevil.


    Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
    Gase is a snake.

    Every time I see him I see his 'mentor', Josh McDevil.

    I will actually laugh at his Demise he wanted to be a Head Coach so damn fast and was not ready for it so when Denver said yaaaa no Thanks lol he went to the Dolphins and look what happened to him there lol Gase was a Horrible Head Coach and after 1 or 2 years Miami finally got smart and sent him away and now the Jets got him LOL now we all get to grab our popcorn and enjoy the show because it will be one in NY lol

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    11,874
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Well once Gase got GM control, we were never getting him unless he was cut. Gase has a vendetta against us. Plus, Allbright actually implied we made a better offer, and they sent him to the chiefs for less return.
    I never saw this, could you post a link

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I never saw this, could you post a link
    i thought we offered a 5th 2020
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    11,874
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    i thought we offered a 5th 2020
    Idk, I just hadnít seen it. Last I heard was that the jets wanted a 2nd and teams scoffed.

    Anyway a 5th is still far more valuable than a 6th but hurting your team by taking less over a grudge is very selfish and marks the first incident in Gaseís downfall.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,031
    Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    I swear, I despise Elways overall lack of interest in the ILB position. A 6th round pick, really? Oh, because Todd Davis and Josey Jewel are so enjoyable to watch in coverage. As long as we continue to neglect this position, our defense will never be elite.
    The scheme was as much to blame for the issues as the personnel.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The scheme was as much to blame for the issues as the personnel.
    This.

    Offenses knew exactly where our defensive personnel were going every play because Woods didn't mix things up or play any deception angles. It's one of the reasons CHJ was getting so frustrated.

    Fangio is a master of disguising looks. With Jackson and Callahan able to play safety, outside, and slot, that's going to make it much harder for the Kelces of the league to feast on us.

    Also...clearly Fangio wasn't that interested in addressing the ILB position either. Maybe he knows what he's doing?

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I never saw this, could you post a link
    I wonder if Gase still harbors resentment against the Broncos, and traded Lee to a division rival for less...
    https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/sta...335817728?s=09

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    This.

    Offenses knew exactly where our defensive personnel were going every play because Woods didn't mix things up or play any deception angles. It's one of the reasons CHJ was getting so frustrated.

    Fangio is a master of disguising looks. With Jackson and Callahan able to play safety, outside, and slot, that's going to make it much harder for the Kelces of the league to feast on us.

    Also...clearly Fangio wasn't that interested in addressing the ILB position either. Maybe he knows what he's doing?
    Well Brandon Marshall said it best, the guys on the field had no idea what each other was doing. Came out and said the LBs would think one thing, and the DBs another. VJ and Co were terribad.

    They did want Lee, Gase doesn't want to help Denver.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,626
    It seems the plan is to keep Todd Davis and Josey Jewell on when stopping the run, but to bring on Hollins or Cravens on passing downs. My question is, how do you know when it is a pass or run if it's RPO/Play action? To me that still says our slow ILB's like Davis and Jewell are liabilities in coverage.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,649
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    It seems the plan is to keep Todd Davis and Josey Jewell on when stopping the run, but to bring on Hollins or Cravens on passing downs. My question is, how do you know when it is a pass or run if it's RPO/Play action? To me that still says our slow ILB's like Davis and Jewell are liabilities in coverage.
    Depends on what kind of coverage, and there are a bunch of them only about three of which put an Inside Backer in man on an eligible receiver from the inside of the formation. Some say Fangio uses a lot more zone than we've seen from the last two DCs. Even straight short zones put less of a strain on the Hook/Curl defenders, and it's less predictable for the QB when it's a rotation or an invert.
    All QBs, including Peyton Manning are challenged by a defensive call that puts defenders where they are not expected to be. That is more easily accomplished by using various zones from different alignments with a mix of Combos. I've seen Manning picked against 3-3-5, Cover 2 Robber and Zone Blitz. I'm looking forward to seeing Fangio's D.
    Last edited by samparnell; 05-22-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: format

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,031
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    It seems the plan is to keep Todd Davis and Josey Jewell on when stopping the run, but to bring on Hollins or Cravens on passing downs. My question is, how do you know when it is a pass or run if it's RPO/Play action? To me that still says our slow ILB's like Davis and Jewell are liabilities in coverage.
    The whole basis of an RPO is to make the defense wrong, regardless of what they play, much like an option play. Regardless of who the personnel is the QB is still reading a backer, if he vacates you pull and pass, if he stays you handoff.

    Sam has done a great job talking about coverages, what I'll add is that you still play your personnel and situations based on down and distance as well as which personnel they send on the field. On 3rd and 10 you don't care much about the run, nor are you worried about a 4 yard replace route from the receiver.

    If you play fundamental defense and your guys stay true to their assignments and don't cheat, and RPO plays mean nothing. If you can shut down the run, the RPO means nothing. If you take away those short replace routes (sometimes with drops from linemen) and the RPO means nothing. I know RPO is the new thing that everybody loves, but they're really not that big of a deal. Their use is overstated. And much like play action, they only really work if the offence is having a lot of success at something.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •