Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Darron Lee

Hybrid View

Darron Lee

Is he a good fit? What would it take to get him? Any thoughts?

Tough call now. Probably wait to see if he gets cut or not. I think if we wanted him, we would have not traded for Watson instead. Price probably too high or it should have been done already. Not a fan of giving up next year's capital either in case we need the picks. Only way I'd do it is to trade a player for him, which could happen. Maybe he will be released if Cashman starts by preseason? Or maybe other cap casualties surface in the next few months as well.

Word is the Jets need help at cb and center. Darn, we got nothin.

Ben Albright reported a few days ago that the Jets want a 2nd round pick for him but nothing would get done until mid May!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Ben Albright reported a few days ago that the Jets want a 2nd round pick for him but nothing would get done until mid May!
    Ya I'd never give a second round pick up for Lee. He never impacted the game in a way that the Jets feel inclined to keep him, so why would anyone pay that much? I'd wait it out. With what little money we have left, I'd like to kick the tires on Bowman. And the kid we got from Kansas was highly productive in college too. Tied with White for tackles etc...you never know who may break out, but you know what you get with Lee already...solid coverage with minimal game changing play. I'd still want Lee but with minimal investment. If Fangio wants Jackson at S, I could see Parks as a viable trade possibility. Either way, I'll trust their judgement. Maybe scheme change helps Davis and Jewell thrive. Team seems confident in Davis more than I, and I hope they are right, not me. Bierria did well late last year in the middle too. If Hollins and Bierria look good there this year, we may not need to address ILB as desperately as it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by conannilsen View Post
    Ya I'd never give a second round pick up for Lee. He never impacted the game in a way that the Jets feel inclined to keep him, so why would anyone pay that much? I'd wait it out. With what little money we have left, I'd like to kick the tires on Bowman. And the kid we got from Kansas was highly productive in college too. Tied with White for tackles etc...you never know who may break out, but you know what you get with Lee already...solid coverage with minimal game changing play. I'd still want Lee but with minimal investment. If Fangio wants Jackson at S, I could see Parks as a viable trade possibility. Either way, I'll trust their judgement. Maybe scheme change helps Davis and Jewell thrive. Team seems confident in Davis more than I, and I hope they are right, not me. Bierria did well late last year in the middle too. If Hollins and Bierria look good there this year, we may not need to address ILB as desperately as it seems.
    Reports were that teams scoffed at the Jets asking price. Albright predicted the jets will get atleast a 4th nothing higher than 3rd.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 05-04-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Sounds like the team has taken a pass, AND, we may not be as thin @ ILB as most of us think. Can't wait till camps to see what we got. Really looking forward to the Hall of Fame game too !

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    Sounds like the team has taken a pass, AND, we may not be as thin @ ILB as most of us think. Can't wait till camps to see what we got. Really looking forward to the Hall of Fame game too !
    Keishawn Bierra
    Alexander Johnson
    Joe Jones

Plus all the undrafted guys with Jeff Holland and Dekota Watson backing up the edge so may be they really feel Justin Hollins is the guy to man the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Reports were that teams scoffed at the Jets asking price. Albright predicted the jets will get atleast a 4th nothing higher than 3rd.
    The Jets themselves took Cashman in the 5th to replace Lee. So his value should be a 5th at best. More like a 6th as his value is lower than Cashman. They set their own bar with that pick in my opinion.

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone is so high on him? He's been suspended for PEDs, has struggled in pass coverage and the Jets seem anxious to get rid of him. And he's got 1 year left on his contract with the 5th year already having been declined.

I know he was a high pick, and he ran fast, but three years later he appears to be a borderline NFL starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why everyone is so high on him? He's been suspended for PEDs, has struggled in pass coverage and the Jets seem anxious to get rid of him. And he's got 1 year left on his contract with the 5th year already having been declined.

I know he was a high pick, and he ran fast, but three years later he appears to be a borderline NFL starter.
    Thereís a couple reason for me: 1) our LB currently are not very good nor do I trust. 2) Lee has shown flashes of being able to cover and be a good back.

With Vic being a LB guru, there is a chance of helping him be more consistent. Plus, itís a low risk high reward situation with his contract being so low. If he plays amazing next year, he still wonít be getting top LB money in the extension. Reports are saying the Jets want a 2/3 round pick. I would pass in a heartbeat though. Iíd be looking to send them a 4th or later.

I would like to see him in Denver sometimes Change of scenery can do wonders however I do not think Lee will be in a Denver Uniform this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post

The QBR against him this past season was 30 points lower than the previous year so heís definitely improved in that area. We donít have any LBs that have even shown flashes of being a sideline to sideline defender. I expect us to be one of the first teams in line if he gets cut, possibly even an Evan Mathis situation where we send an offer just to make sure we get him. But the Jets are going to wait until injuries start happening throughout these camps before they lower their asking price.

Edit: Also since it appears we are sticking with a one gap defense, that makes his job much easier as a run defender. He wonít have to make nearly as many reads and he can use his athleticism to bring the attack to the blockers in the trenches vs having read and react and then stack and shed
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 05-04-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    There’s a couple reason for me: 1) our LB currently are not very good nor do I trust. 2) Lee has shown flashes of being able to cover and be a good back.

With Vic being a LB guru, there is a chance of helping him be more consistent. Plus, it’s a low risk high reward situation with his contract being so low. If he plays amazing next year, he still won’t be getting top LB money in the extension. Reports are saying the Jets want a 2/3 round pick. I would pass in a heartbeat though. I’d be looking to send them a 4th or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    The QBR against him this past season was 30 points lower than the previous year so he’s definitely improved in that area. We don’t have any LBs that have even shown flashes of being a sideline to sideline defender. I expect us to be one of the first teams in line if he gets cut, possibly even an Evan Mathis situation where we send an offer just to make sure we get him. But the Jets are going to wait until injuries start happening throughout these camps before they lower their asking price.

Edit: Also since it appears we are sticking with a one gap defense, that makes his job much easier as a run defender. He won’t have to make nearly as many reads and he can use his athleticism to bring the attack to the blockers in the trenches vs having read and react and then stack and shed
    Fair enough, but to me it just looks like it would be adding someone else's bust and hoping he can develop for you. Based on his play thus far, his suspension, his fines, and only 1 year left on his contract I'm not sure I would give up much of anything for him.

As for him not getting much on his next contract, even if he were amazing, I just don't see it, too many teams have too much money available in cap space for a free agent coming off a great year not to get paid. Look at Trent Brown, was not a good player in San Fran, NE gave up little for him and he played decent in front of a QB with a quick release and then he got a massive contract from Oakland and is getting moved back to RT. If Lee has a great year anywhere he's going to get a massive contract somewhere else. Of course the one plus is that you'd probably get more in a 2021 comp pick than you'd give up in a 2020 pick.

There are possibly other cover ILB out there such as Patrick Onwuasor. The Ravens put a 2nd tender on him at Age: 27. Onwuasor misses some tackles, but is terrific in coverage.

Rather have than give up a fourth for Lee, would it be worth it to give up a 2nd for Onwuasor? If possible?

Also Cory Littleton is a RFA, the Rams have him tendered with a 2nd as well. Heís also very young at 26 so perhaps he'll be able to improve his tackling ability since he misses a lot, but he covers pretty good in space and was the Rams' top inside linebacker.

Josh Bynes, LB, Cardinals, coming off his best season for AZ but heís also 30 so his best days could behind him. Still need depth at the position plus we just gave 11mil to an aging CB.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 05-05-2019 at 04:51 AM.