Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    I don't think it's outlandish to think we could potentially replace as many as 3 OL next year. Bolles and McGovern need to improve, and Leary hasn't been able to stay healthy. I think we will take OL early and another later.
    Let's see how everyone does this year. The only O-Linemen we got a long look at during preseason games were second and third team. They showed improvement through the five games. If the starting O-Line also shows improvement, they will be pointed in the right direction under the guidance of Mike Munchak, et al.

The only UFA next year is Connor McGovern. His backup at C is Corey Levin who will be UFA in 2021. Ron Leary will be UFA in 2021, too, but he could be released next year with dead cap of $875,000. Elijah Wilkinson will be RFA next year, and we'll see what happens there. Bolles is UFA in 2022; James and Risner in 2023; and, Schlottmann is ERFA in 2021.

Denver has a first, second and two third round picks next year. If they use one of them on an O-Lineman, they should probably get a versatile guy. Quinn Bailey, Tyler Jones and Jake Rodgers will get a lot of reps on scout team O going against the starters on D. Scout team O-Line will probably be Levin, Schlottmann, T. Jones, Bailey and Rodgers with Wilkinson filling in on the starting O-Line to keep Leary fresh. Too bad Leglue signed with the Saints' PS. Nico Falah is on IR.

I would be surprised if Denver didn't draft at least one O-Lineman next year, but I've been surprised before.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post

I would be surprised if Denver didn't draft at least one O-Lineman next year, but I've been surprised before.
    Not only that but I'd like to see it in the 1st 3 rounds if the talent is there ......... and continue year after year till it's fixed
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Not only that but I'd like to see it in the 1st 3 rounds if the talent is there ......... and continue year after year till it's fixed
    Right. IMO the way to build and sustain an O-Line is through the Draft. Free agent O-Linemen are very expensive. I think Denver should draft a couple next year one of whom should be in the first three rounds. Dalton (aka "Route 66") is a good example of the kind of O-Linemen necessary to develop a dominant group.

Denver will continue to sign undrafted college free agent O-Linemen. Elijah Wilkinson two years ago, Austin Schlottmann last year and Quinn Bailey this year all start out on the PS playing on scout team. It's an important way to develop quality depth in a cost effective way.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I would keep drafting them even after itís fixed. Probably extend it from round 3 to round 5 once they start looking good. I think the group should be treated like the QB. The oline directly influences so much of what you can and canít do that you really canít legitimately contend without one. Especially now that we have a sound defensive coach in place that can get the most out of these defensive guys.

The Colts will likely be in the playoff hunt because of the oline. Same thing with teams like the Cowboys and Titans. Not super loaded teams with a phenomenal QB like the Patriots, Rams, Chiefs, or the Saints but once youíre in the playoffs anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I would keep drafting them even after it’s fixed. Probably extend it from round 3 to round 5 once they start looking good. I think the group should be treated like the QB. The oline directly influences so much of what you can and can’t do that you really can’t legitimately contend without one. Especially now that we have a sound defensive coach in place that can get the most out of these defensive guys.

The Colts will likely be in the playoff hunt because of the oline. Same thing with teams like the Cowboys and Titans. Not super loaded teams with a phenomenal QB like the Patriots, Rams, Chiefs, or the Saints but once you’re in the playoffs anything can happen.
    Sure. Rookie contracts for draftees only last four years, five for first rounders, if the option is exercised. Teams with a lot of cap space offer big contracts to UFA O-Linemen and many of them follow the money.

The QB is the most important player and the O-Line is second on offense, because they protect him and generate a rushing attack. NFL O-Lines need constant maintenance or they end up taking more than one draft to fix.

We have seen that happen with a series of failed free agent O-Linemen. James was expensive, but probably worth it. I don't think Elway wants to sink a ton of cap space in the O-Line, so he will probably try to sustain it through the draft and by signing UDFAs.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I would keep drafting them even after itís fixed. Probably extend it from round 3 to round 5 once they start looking good. I think the group should be treated like the QB. The oline directly influences so much of what you can and canít do that you really canít legitimately contend without one. Especially now that we have a sound defensive coach in place that can get the most out of these defensive guys.

The Colts will likely be in the playoff hunt because of the oline. Same thing with teams like the Cowboys and Titans. Not super loaded teams with a phenomenal QB like the Patriots, Rams, Chiefs, or the Saints but once youíre in the playoffs anything can happen.
    Do you not like Nelson in the top 10 still now? I remember you saying not to take him top 10 and now he's one of the main pieces to why you think they'll be in the playoff hunt for a minute now.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Mentioned once already but USU LB David Woodward would fill a need in Denver. This guy is everywhere. I tuned in to watch the Aggies QB the other night and this guy jumps off the screen. I have my suspicion we will see our team linked with him throughout the draft process.
    He looks undersized.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Do you not like Nelson in the top 10 still now? I remember you saying not to take him top 10 and now he's one of the main pieces to why you think they'll be in the playoff hunt for a minute now.
    I think you have me confused with someone else. I thought Nelson was a generational talent, however I thought we had a bigger need at QB and wanted to trade down for Jackson (still think he will develop nicely) while picking up extra draft capital. There was another member who was heavily (putting it mildly) in favor of Jackson and hated the thought of an OG going that high however.

I will say I was definitely against taking Mayfield in the first at all. Seems to be I was wrong there

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    He looks undersized.
    He could be one of the tweeners, I don't know a whole lot about him yet. I was just impressed with his game the other night and it got me looking into him a bit more and he seems to be highly regarded in NFL circles as well. Troy Dye LB Oregon is another player I enjoy. He is a bit lean for the NFL but the position is changing with the influx of the speedy TE.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I thought Nelson was a generational talent, however I thought we had a bigger need at QB and wanted to trade down for Jackson (still think he will develop nicely) while picking up extra draft capital. There was another member who was heavily (putting it mildly) in favor of Jackson and hated the thought of an OG going that high however.

I will say I was definitely against taking Mayfield in the first at all. Seems to be I was wrong there
    Yep we all know it was me. I will own and still stand by it. Lamar will be a very good qb. Wished he had him. But we got lock and Flacco. Hope we do well with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Yep we all know it was me. I will own and still stand by it. Lamar will be a very good qb. Wished he had him. But we got lock and Flacco. Hope we do well with them.
    Jackson looked good this week. It was against a Highschool team but still good start.

Can we talk qb this next draft is completely loaded. We need to keep an eye on this class

We need the best ILB and OL in our first 2 picks next draft .

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    We need the best ILB and OL in our first 2 picks next draft .
    You draft bpa you never draft for need and we will need more things then that

Remember the names Walker Little and Dylan Moses.