Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    So far, there seems to be a bit of team difference from the perspective that under the Vance Joseph regime, the coaching spoke often, loudly, and positively about the coaching, the players, and the progression that was happening. The players typically spoke little and guardedly. We all know how that ended...

Under the Fangio regime the coaches seem to be eyeing things from a tempered standpoint of ďthereís room for a lot of progressĒ and the players are the ones talking positively about the coaches and the benefits of the new coaching group. Itís certainly a different vibe than the last couple of years from that standpoint.

I think with our running game, our defense, and our new coaching and scheme, Flacco can be a solid mid-tier QB.

And I think that's all we need to be competitive with this roster.

We're a prime candidate to be a bounce-back team that surprises people this year for many of the reasons the smart people in this thread have cited (lost many very close games, have had two strong drafts in a row, massive upgrade in coaching and scheme).

We're in a tough division but I do think KC will regress some this year. They've lost some weapons on offense, they've completely overhauled their defensive personnel. Coaches have a full season of tape on Mahomes. I have them pegged at 10-6.

I see us landing somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6 barring injuries or a streak of bad bounces.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkyBronco View Post
    So far, there seems to be a bit of team difference from the perspective that under the Vance Joseph regime, the coaching spoke often, loudly, and positively about the coaching, the players, and the progression that was happening. The players typically spoke little and guardedly. We all know how that ended...

Under the Fangio regime the coaches seem to be eyeing things from a tempered standpoint of ďthereís room for a lot of progressĒ and the players are the ones talking positively about the coaches and the benefits of the new coaching group. Itís certainly a different vibe than the last couple of years from that standpoint.
    I donít know man, I think thereís a little conjecture in your post. After the 2017 season a lot of players took the criticism of Vance and his staff personally and said it was the players fault for not executing, of course I will concede the tone seemed to change a little after the departure of DT and VJ publicly calling our Von half way through the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I donít know man, I think thereís a little conjecture in your post. After the 2017 season a lot of players took the criticism of Vance and his staff personally and said it was the players fault for not executing, of course I will concede the tone seemed to change a little after the departure of DT and VJ publicly calling our Von half way through the season.
    Weíll likely never know the entire story, but it seems that the players (under VJ) May have felt like they werenít sure of what they were supposed to be doing at least some of the time on the field. The VJ coaching staff has to shoulder that blame... I believe the players felt they needed to do more, be better, to make up for the incompetence of the coaching staff and chose to put it on their own shoulders both on the field and to the media. Some of the players were quick to air out their feelings once VJ and company were out the door.

I donít remember the players heaping compliments on the VJ staff at any point. Fangio, Munchak, and Scangarello all seem to be getting some complimentary words early on from the players which at least feels like a positive change. Time will certainly tell....

Right out of the gate, Miller said Fangio is the same guy behind the scenes that he is on the podium in front of the mic.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    It really sounds personal with you. Flacco is far more accomplished than Keenum. Flacco played well last year before the injury. Flacco looked good in the game he beat the Broncos.
    Mike Florio is calling Joe the AFC version of Eli Manning saying if not for the Broncos, the Ravens would had zero trade partners.

Iím so hoping Flacco will come out strong under Scangarello!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    I think with our running game, our defense, and our new coaching and scheme, Flacco can be a solid mid-tier QB.

And I think that's all we need to be competitive with this roster.

We're a prime candidate to be a bounce-back team that surprises people this year for many of the reasons the smart people in this thread have cited (lost many very close games, have had two strong drafts in a row, massive upgrade in coaching and scheme).

We're in a tough division but I do think KC will regress some this year. They've lost some weapons on offense, they've completely overhauled their defensive personnel. Coaches have a full season of tape on Mahomes. I have them pegged at 10-6.

I see us landing somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6 barring injuries or a streak of bad bounces.
    Having mahomes means the chiefs are in a main superbowl window while he is on a rookie contract but they should be competing for the next 15 years with mahomes

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Having mahomes means the chiefs are in a main superbowl window while he is on a rookie contract but they should be competing for the next 15 years with mahomes
    They can score but we all know all to well from the mike Shanahan era that you can score 45 points a game but without defense you lose.

I have very little faith in KCs new D-coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    They can score but we all know all to well from the mike Shanahan era that you can score 45 points a game but without defense you lose.

Steve Spagnuolo? He knows what he's doing. I just don't know if KC has given him enough to work with.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

The games changing becoming more offense focused. But I still think that chiefs team should be contending year In and out

If we had the same coaching staff I would have very little optimism that we would have any better record than last year. The new staff (and lack of the old one) is the real wild card for me. I still really doubt we do better than 8-8, though. Hope I'm wrong!

Mike Florio is calling Joe the AFC version of Eli Manning saying if not for the Broncos, the Ravens would had zero trade partners.

I’m so hoping Flacco will come out strong under Scangarello!
    I'm not a big Flacco fan, but the contract makes it perfect for us, in that we can keep him as long as he's useful and drop him the second he's not with no cap hit. It's tough for me to be upset about that get as it fills a mentor role and serviceable starter till we can move on. If the contract was different, my opinion would be different.

Watching that much film, you would think he would list Joes negative tendencies. Such as underthrowing the deep ball and hoping his receiver fights for the ball. Ever since Torrie Smith left, Joe tends to underthrow some deep passes because his receivers don't possess the extra gear to catch up to the ball like Torrie could. Hopefully Sanders will come off his acl at a hundred percent but its not likely.
    Something you wouldn't see on film is Joes not putting in extra offseason workouts with his receivers. He knows he needs to do this coming to Denver with a new group of guys, so hopefully he does.
    He used to throw a lot more off his back foot when facing an all out blitz which has led to interceptions. He rarely does it now, but when you see it, you will hold your breath and say No Joe No. Mahones does this a lot, but has not been punished enough to change his ways yet.
    On a positive note, Joes mobility, which has been questioned, is deceiving. I have seen Big Bird running for a plus thirty yard td.
    He is also very accurate when rolling out right. You would think the play is over, when he makes an accurate throw down the line on the move to stretch the chains.
    And one tendency I like a lot is he is a Winner. You are never out of a game, and I have seen many times with less than a minute on the clock, Joe move the ball down the field for the comeback win.

So what did you see on your condensed version of Joe Flacco ?

Ultimately I believe itís hard to truly quantify what we have or donít have in Flacco. Did he resort to check downs so much because of his poor supporting cast? Or was he reminiscing of Ray Rice being able to convert long distances? How was the pressure effecting his timing with that poor supporting cast? Did the cause him to check down more often than he wouldíve liked? Or was he not confident enough in his arm to beat tight windows consistently?

I can understand the poor support around him being used as an argument in defense of him but I think if you use that argument that you have to concede that he either doesnít have the velocity to maximize those short windows of opportunity or he doesnít process the field well enough in his pre and post snap reads. Either way I think he is dependent on those around him to a fault

A few points that I think are worth mentioning for this upcoming season:

1) Is it just me or does it feel like the adults are back in charge on the coaching staff? I felt like VJ's tenure was a "let's wing it" group that never instilled a lot of confidence on either side of the ball. He mentioned after his disastrous first season that there needed to be a change of culture. Well, I think the change has happened and not how he expected or wanted, but it is for the best. I'm excited about this coaching staff we have now. It may take a year to gel, but I feel a thousand times more confident than the previous staff we had in place.

2) Joe Flacco (or "Average" Joe Flacco as many call him) may surprise us. While many will point out that his last several years in Baltimore have been lackluster (at best), he also had a pretty putrid OC most of those years. Jim Caldwell was perhaps the "best" that he had coaching him in the last 7 years. Kubiak was there for a year, but does anyone see Kubiak as having an explosive offense? We certainly didn't when he was our coach. After Caldwell and Kubes came Marc Trestman and Marty Morniwheg. Obviously, Flacco still has to run the plays, but with OC's like that, I can't imagine he had a great playbook to work with. Again, going back to the coaching staff, I'm really excited to see what Rich Scangarello can do with Flacco. We may end up seeing much more production from our QB than many are thinking possible. On the flip side, we may not, but I think the tools are in place much more solidly this year than they were last year - BY FAR!

Overall, I'm really excited to see the progress our team makes this year - from the OL to the entire offense to the defense, I think across the board we have improved just by nature of those running the show. I'm excited to see what they can do. This year might not lead to all the W's that I would like, but I think we are going to take a GIANT leap forward from where we were with VJ steering the ship.