Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    That's true. He also led us to some of our worst playoff losses ever.
    Did lead us to a Superbowl. Fox isn't a great coach, but he's probably the ideal coach for a transition. He will take a bad team, and make them very respectable. If everything breaks right he can go to the Superbowl, but he isn't the guy who can get you over the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    It’s actually funny, redskins fans are all hyped from the 2017 version of Case Keenum mentoring Dwayne Haskins!!!

I can’t help but laugh my ass off at that one!
    It's almost as funny as people hyping up Flacco here. He's getting the same treatment as 2018 Keenum and it is sad. Hopefully, when he plays poorly, fans actually accept the fact that he's just a bad QB rather than blame each of his mistakes on other players like they did for Keenum last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    It's almost as funny as people hyping up Flacco here. He's getting the same treatment as 2018 Keenum and it is sad. Hopefully, when he plays poorly, fans actually accept the fact that he's just a bad QB rather than blame each of his mistakes on other players like they did for Keenum last year.

It will be funny when Joe leads Denver to the playoffs and all the non Joe fans will be eating crow I guess we will all see by Week 4 !!

I would say there are more people saying similar comments like yours, than are actually "hyping" Flacco the way you're saying they are. I would say most have tempered expectations, and have reasonably looked at the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    That's true. He also led us to some of our worst playoff losses ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Did lead us to a Superbowl. Fox isn't a great coach, but he's probably the ideal coach for a transition. He will take a bad team, and make them very respectable. If everything breaks right he can go to the Superbowl, but he isn't the guy who can get you over the hump.
    Fox is a great transition coach because he brings back professionalism and accountability to teams. He's got a ceiling, but he's a great coach. He took over a 1-15 Carolina team and they were in the Super Bowl 2 years later. He took over a 4-12 Broncos team and they played in the Super Bowl 3 seasons later. He didn't have the same success in Chicago, but it's been said that he helped lay down the foundation for the success they had after him.

As for the comment about worst playoff losses, it's true, but if you're going to be a coach at some point your team will suffer bad losses. Mike Shanahan won 2 Super Bowls with the Broncos but he's also the coach on record for 3 of their worst playoff losses, v the Jags and then the two massacres in Indy. Dan Reeves guided Denver to 3 Super Bowl appearances (or rode Elway's coattails...) and they were crushed 3 separate times. It's part of coaching.

Fangio was “very pleased” with Justin Hollins at ILB and OLB

“He's done a good job of learning both spots. I think he's ready to go out there and plug in with the veterans and see if he can continue his good work. Very pleased with what he was able to do from a mental standpoint

Hope this turns into something special

Kareem will work at both S and CB next week

Callahan will practice fully

Leary, Lindsay, and Sanders limited all OTAs

Yiadom will be limited week 1 and then full week 2

Flacco gets all the #1 reps, everyone else will split 2s and 3s

Risner will stay at LG for now

Wants to install 90% of defense before summer

All per Fangio

Nicki said that in the portion of rookie camp today that was no video/pics Dremont Jones looked like a beast

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Fox is a great transition coach because he brings back professionalism and accountability to teams. He's got a ceiling, but he's a great coach. He took over a 1-15 Carolina team and they were in the Super Bowl 2 years later. He took over a 4-12 Broncos team and they played in the Super Bowl 3 seasons later. He didn't have the same success in Chicago, but it's been said that he helped lay down the foundation for the success they had after him.

As for the comment about worst playoff losses, it's true, but if you're going to be a coach at some point your team will suffer bad losses. Mike Shanahan won 2 Super Bowls with the Broncos but he's also the coach on record for 3 of their worst playoff losses, v the Jags and then the two massacres in Indy. Dan Reeves guided Denver to 3 Super Bowl appearances (or rode Elway's coattails...) and they were crushed 3 separate times. It's part of coaching.
    Regarding Shanny, I don't place too much blame on him for the Indy losses. We simply had no answer for Manning in his prime. Jacksonville is a different story.

Reeves is no favorite of mine, but I can't blame him for the NFC being absolutely dominant during that era. That being said, Reeves was certainly not in the same ballpark as Parcells, Gibbs, or Walsh (Yes, technically Seifert was the HC of S.F. in 1989, but I still consider it to be Walsh's team).

Finally, John Fox. The losses to Baltimore and Indy were inexcusable in my book. We were better than those teams and should have won. Seattle was a matchup nightmare, but Denver seemed woefully unprepared as well. I'll say this. I'm incredibly grateful Fox was not the coach in 2015 and Kubiak was. I don't think we win a SB with Fox as HC.

Nicki said that in the portion of rookie camp today that was no video/pics Dremont Jones looked like a beast
    DC Ed Donatell said Jones was a “very good pickup”.

Quote Originally Posted by maaskesr View Post
    I know there's probably little going on, but I'm desperate for any broncos news. Is there any coverage of Rookie Minicamp? Open to any press? Reporters on twitter covering?

My baseball team sucks and my basketball team is out of the playoffs, so I need some Broncos news!
    If you download the Bleacher Report app and follow the Broncos they have a Twitter feed which picks up local media.

I would say there are more people saying similar comments like yours, than are actually "hyping" Flacco the way you're saying they are. I would say most have tempered expectations, and have reasonably looked at the matter.
    Most opinions will depend on what those expectations are. If you are expecting an All Pro performer you will be disappointed. Conversely if you are expecting a bum you will be equally disappointed IMO.

My expectation is that Flacco will bring a level of leadership to the offense that has been missing for several years. A vet that has been there and done that. He will give a young and rudderless offense some direction. He will get the players in the right place for the right call and maximize what they have. He is not physically going to dominate, just mentally direct the offense.

I'm not expecting huge numbers just competent QB play. More like a quality PG distributing the ball over the superstar stats machine. Think an aging Billups or Rondo over a Curry. .Flacco needs to get the ball to the playmakers and avoid the big hits or mistakes..

My biggest concern will be Flacco's back. He has to avoid the big hits and even then there are no guarantees. As an old guy with a bad back, sometimes you just wake up wrong and it is tough to move.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 05-13-2019 at 06:47 AM.

pretty sad you ask me...its like your hoping flacco sucks to validate your opinion instead of being positive that he can and will be better than Siemian or keenum

Flacco has at least shown to be a competitive player in the past. Keenum had one good year.

Besides, most fans do hype up their own team... They hope for the very best for the players on the roster because they want to see the team succeed. Very few fans sit around being negative pessimists boo hooing every move that's made. Especially just so they can say "see, I told you so"

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Most opinions will depend on what those expectations are. If you are expecting an All Pro performer you will be disappointed. Conversely if you are expecting a bum you will be equally disappointed IMO.

My expectation is that Flacco will bring a level of leadership to the offense that has been missing for several years. A vet that has been there and done that. He will give a young and rudderless offense some direction. He will get the players in the right place for the right call and maximize what they have. He is not physically going to dominate, just mentally direct the offense.

I'm not expecting huge numbers just competent QB play. More like a quality PG distributing the ball over the superstar stats machine. Think an aging Billups or Rondo over a Curry. .Flacco needs to get the ball to the playmakers and avoid the big hits or mistakes..

My biggest concern will be Flacco's back. He has to avoid the big hits and even then there are no guarantees. As an old guy with a bad back, sometimes you just wake up wrong and it is tough to move.
    I think most on these boards recognize that if he manages the ball, throws some deep passes to keep the box from being stacked and plays captain checkdown the rest of the time, we'll likely have a good season.

He's not going to be Peyton Manning out there, anyone who expects that is going to be bummed out, but he's also not going to be Trent Dilfer bad... He's going to be somewhere in the middle and that's ok. With a strong defense and run game that's what we need out of him.