Thread: Joseph Jones

Joseph Jones

One guy who caught my eye a lot last year for us was Joseph Jones. He flat out made plays on special teams for us. I remember him saying he believes he can be a starting linebacker. I know even dominant special teamers don't always translate to regular positional players, but I had to look into this guys past to see if he might be a diamond in the rough for us.

Here is one quote of when he was coming out of college:

Jones’ measurements are insane. The 6-foot-1, 235 pound linebacker is an absolute freak athlete. Had Jones posted these numbers at the combine, he would have had the 2nd-best 40-yard dash (just .03 seconds behind Jabrill Peppers), the 5th-best vertical jump, 7th-best broad jump, 4th-best 3-cone drill, 5th-best 20-yard shuffle and 3rd-best 60-yard shuffle. This is only among linebackers of course, but it’s still a pool of 29 elite players who were invited to the combine. He’s a top-tier athlete, there’s no doubt about that. Ridiculously, his 40 time is the just .01 seconds short of Christan McCaffrey, the same as Dalvin Cook and better than Leonard Fournette.

https://www.insidenu.com/2017/4/26/1...anthony-walker

On his Wikipedia it states:

Jones accepted a football scholarship from Northwestern University. He was converted into a linebacker as a freshman and had only 6 tackles after his first 2 seasons, playing almost exclusively on special teams. As a junior, he appeared in 13 games, making 18 tackles (14 solo) and one sack.

He became a starter at linebacker as a fifth year senior, playing most of the season with a broken right thumb and his hand and wrist in a cast. He appeared in 13 games (5 starts), while posting 43 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 passes defensed, 3.5 tackles for loss and one fumble recovery. He finished his college career after appearing in 37 games (5 starts), recording 70 tackles (44 solo), 3 sacks, 2 passes defensed and one fumble recovery.

So he only started linebacker really his last year in college and did this with a broken thumb.

He got married in college and had a daughter. He was working 3 part time jobs to support them during the offseason. This man is motivated to try and put bread on the table for his family.

He is listed as an inside linebacker. With his speed and measurables along with the ferocity he has played special teams for us, could he be that sideline to sideline linebacker we desperately need on the inside?
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMoss View Post
    One guy who caught my eye a lot last year for us was Joseph Jones. He flat out made plays on special teams for us. I remember him saying he believes he can be a starting linebacker. I know even dominant special teamers don't always translate to regular positional players, but I had to look into this guys past to see if he might be a diamond in the rough for us.

Here is one quote of when he was coming out of college:

Jones’ measurements are insane. The 6-foot-1, 235 pound linebacker is an absolute freak athlete. Had Jones posted these numbers at the combine, he would have had the 2nd-best 40-yard dash (just .03 seconds behind Jabrill Peppers), the 5th-best vertical jump, 7th-best broad jump, 4th-best 3-cone drill, 5th-best 20-yard shuffle and 3rd-best 60-yard shuffle. This is only among linebackers of course, but it’s still a pool of 29 elite players who were invited to the combine. He’s a top-tier athlete, there’s no doubt about that. Ridiculously, his 40 time is the just .01 seconds short of Christan McCaffrey, the same as Dalvin Cook and better than Leonard Fournette.

https://www.insidenu.com/2017/4/26/1...anthony-walker

On his Wikipedia it states:

Jones accepted a football scholarship from Northwestern University. He was converted into a linebacker as a freshman and had only 6 tackles after his first 2 seasons, playing almost exclusively on special teams. As a junior, he appeared in 13 games, making 18 tackles (14 solo) and one sack.

He became a starter at linebacker as a fifth year senior, playing most of the season with a broken right thumb and his hand and wrist in a cast. He appeared in 13 games (5 starts), while posting 43 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 passes defensed, 3.5 tackles for loss and one fumble recovery. He finished his college career after appearing in 37 games (5 starts), recording 70 tackles (44 solo), 3 sacks, 2 passes defensed and one fumble recovery.

So he only started linebacker really his last year in college and did this with a broken thumb.

He got married in college and had a daughter. He was working 3 part time jobs to support them during the offseason. This man is motivated to try and put bread on the table for his family.

He is listed as an inside linebacker. With his speed and measurables along with the ferocity he has played special teams for us, could he be that sideline to sideline linebacker we desperately need on the inside?
    Man do I hope someone emerges to take a starting gig away from Todd Davis. Jones has potential but I gotta wonder why he never really produced at the position. He may be lacking instincts, which I believe is what dampers Davis' performance. There are "freak" athletes fighting for roster spots all over the league, you have to have instincts to play ILB and do it effectively. Maybe Fangio will find a gem in our group, maybe it's Jones, who knows?

Todd Davis is our starter because he gets the job done. He is not a freak athlete, he is not fast. He tackles and is a team leading tackler to boot. Maybe the new scheme will fit him better ? Lets let the coaches coach and let the scheme work it's purpose. We didn't pick up any ILB draft picks for a reason. I trust the management.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    Todd Davis is our starter because he gets the job done. He is not a freak athlete, he is not fast. He tackles and is a team leading tackler to boot. Maybe the new scheme will fit him better ? Lets let the coaches coach and let the scheme work it's purpose. We didn't pick up any ILB draft picks for a reason. I trust the management.
    I get what you are saying and I do trust the management as well. Time will tell if Davis is a good fit for Fangio. I just feel that both Davis and Jewell are kind of similar, both lacking that sideline to sideline speed Fangio seems to covet.

We did pick Justin Hollins and during Fangio/Elway interviews they said they may try him inside as he played there a bit in college.

If they are willing to give Hollins a shot, you think Jones would be in the mix as well.
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Man do I hope someone emerges to take a starting gig away from Todd Davis. Jones has potential but I gotta wonder why he never really produced at the position. He may be lacking instincts, which I believe is what dampers Davis' performance. There are "freak" athletes fighting for roster spots all over the league, you have to have instincts to play ILB and do it effectively. Maybe Fangio will find a gem in our group, maybe it's Jones, who knows?
    Good points. Hopefully a Fangio system lends well to releasing split second instinct with some of our freak athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMoss View Post
    Good points. Hopefully a Fangio system lends well to releasing split second instinct with some of our freak athletes.
    If it's one-gap run D, it probably will.

People very often focus WAY too much on raw athletic ability and not enough on character, dedication, and football intelligence. Paxton Lynch is a prime example. There were people here constantly going gaga over his arm and mobility, and forgetting the other things a player MUST have to be a good QB.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    People very often focus WAY too much on raw athletic ability and not enough on character, dedication, and football intelligence. Paxton Lynch is a prime example. There were people here constantly going gaga over his arm and mobility, and forgetting the other things a player MUST have to be a good QB.
    I would agree with that but even with the mental game sharpened to a point 100% of the time if you're just a slow guy you're still gonna get beat by a faster guy who works as hard as you do on their craft. For example T.Davis looks to be a pretty decent player. When it comes time to cover players like RBs and TEs he struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I would agree with that but even with the mental game sharpened to a point 100% of the time if you're just a slow guy you're still gonna get beat by a faster guy who works as hard as you do on their craft. For example T.Davis looks to be a pretty decent player. When it comes time to cover players like RBs and TEs he struggles.
    A player obviously has to have very good athletic ability to be in the NFL. I was just commenting on the all too common tendency to go gaga over a player because he's a "freak athlete", as if that's the be all and end all of NFL success. No it isn't.

As an inside linebacker, vision and instincts are crucial. No sense in having a 4.1 40 yd, if your accelerating to the wrong spots. I cross my fingers but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    A player obviously has to have very good athletic ability to be in the NFL. I was just commenting on the all too common tendency to go gaga over a player because he's a "freak athlete", as if that's the be all and end all of NFL success. No it isn't.
    You bring up a great point. The Raiders have drafted some phenomenal athletes that weren't NFL football skill good enough, regardless of speed. If DK Metcalf could run routes and catch like Steve Largent he would be the best WR potentially ever. Everyone who plays in the NFL is a phenomenal athlete. The football skills for each position is what separates the good from the great.

I didn't realize that Joseph was starting for Davis in camp while Todd was having his baby.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mil...r-joseph-jones