Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 246
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,928
    Quote Originally Posted by MHS View Post
    'OK, you guys want to draft this guy? Well screw you, I’m going to prove that I’m the best guy. I’m going to make this decision look like a bad decision because of how I’m going to play.”

    One of Flacco's best friends said the above about Flacco when Ravens drafted Jackson. Flacco went on to not even send a congradulations text and then was motivated enough to go 4-5 with 12 TDs and 6 picks playing with a top 5 defense ... if that is a motivated Flacco then Lock will be starting by week 10.

    I can understand Flacco's frustration but at some point just saying something like " I look forward to working with Lock but my main focus is on winning" would have been saying the same thing but better phrasing. I can guarantee this will get brougt up by salty denver fans if Flacco struggle (even some of those who are glossing over it now)
    Flacco was well on his way to having, at least for him, a good season. But that really doesn't matter. Nor does it matter what he said about Jackson then or Lock now. All that matters is how he plays for the Broncos.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,068
    Quote Originally Posted by MHS View Post
    'OK, you guys want to draft this guy? Well screw you, I’m going to prove that I’m the best guy. I’m going to make this decision look like a bad decision because of how I’m going to play.”

    One of Flacco's best friends said the above about Flacco when Ravens drafted Jackson. Flacco went on to not even send a congradulations text and then was motivated enough to go 4-5 with 12 TDs and 6 picks playing with a top 5 defense ... if that is a motivated Flacco then Lock will be starting by week 10.

    I can understand Flacco's frustration but at some point just saying something like " I look forward to working with Lock but my main focus is on winning" would have been saying the same thing but better phrasing. I can guarantee this will get brougt up by salty denver fans if Flacco struggle (even some of those who are glossing over it now)
    Exactly, if Flacco couldnít inspire Harbaugh enough to hold his starting spot over Jackson why should we think heíd fare any better with a better passing QB behind him? Harbaugh trusted Lamar Jackson to save his job over Joe Flacco and that says a lot. Luckily for Flacco, Fangio probably isnít on the hot seat. But with Flacco having no guaranteed money and the NFL standing for Not For Long, you have to find out what you have in Lock and build a team around him so Flacco will have a short leash.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,068
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    You used the word "if". "Ifs" mean Lock COULD start. What I specifically addressed was the assumption that Lock will start. Your if scenario doesn't supported the assumption that Lock will start.
    Everything is an assumption, saying Fangio makes it through the season is technically an assumption. Anything can happen. Hell saying Flacco will start every game is an assumption. The only way he does that is IF he stays healthy AND IF he keeps us in playoff contention.

    If we are eliminated from playoff contention Lock will start, that is a guarantee. That would mean Flacco failed to do what he was brought in to do and there is no point whatsoever in trotting him out there when you can use those game(s) to get Lock meaningful reps and then cut Flacco in the offseason to get your future QB the pieces he needs to succeed. Everything we do from this point on is to build the team around Lock so he can be successful. Flacco is the bridge until either Lock proves himself or Flacco proves he canít get it done.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    329
    Harbaugh was on NFL network a few days back and he said Flacco was the first person to tell him to keep Jackson in if they were winning games. Not sure what is fake news or not but this came from Harbaugh.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,547
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Everything is an assumption, saying Fangio makes it through the season is technically an assumption. Anything can happen. Hell saying Flacco will start every game is an assumption. .
    Of course. It's also an assumption that Lock won't suffer a season ending injury or not look godawful in TC.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    1,286
    Mentoring your replacement is not a requirement.

    And what makes Flacco an eligible, yet alone desired mentor? Let's get real.

    It's not like he's been an elite QB in the league.... not by a long stretch.
    "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,084
    Quote Originally Posted by MHS View Post
    'OK, you guys want to draft this guy? Well screw you, I’m going to prove that I’m the best guy. I’m going to make this decision look like a bad decision because of how I’m going to play.”

    One of Flacco's best friends said the above about Flacco when Ravens drafted Jackson. Flacco went on to not even send a congradulations text and then was motivated enough to go 4-5 with 12 TDs and 6 picks playing with a top 5 defense ... if that is a motivated Flacco then Lock will be starting by week 10.

    I can understand Flacco's frustration but at some point just saying something like " I look forward to working with Lock but my main focus is on winning" would have been saying the same thing but better phrasing. I can guarantee this will get brougt up by salty denver fans if Flacco struggle (even some of those who are glossing over it now)
    I don't think Flacco has fully come to terms with his new role in the NFL- the mentor/bridge QB role. He will likely be forced to when this year proceeds similar to last year for him and he finds himself in Tampa Bay with Jake Fromm behind him for a couple of weeks. He is firmly in the McCown, Keenum, Fitzpatrick area.

    Fully entrenched starters have been far more gracious in their acceptance of new blood. I can't fault Flacco for how he responded and I'm not surprised by it either, but I would have hoped for something else in a perfect world. Heck, Eli Manning is significantly better than Flacco and he was a part of the pre-draft process, even took Daniel Jones out to dinner to go over things 1-on-1.

    When asked about the Giants taking a QB early he said "Yeah, I figure the Giants are going to get a young quarterback. So I understand that, I still have to do my job, and I'll do my part. And my job as I see it is to go out there and play quarterback and win football games. That is what I'll do." Then when asked specifically about mentoring the new QB, he said "That's just kind of part of being a quarterback, enjoy putting in the extra effort and work to get everybody up to speed and help young guys when they're trying to learn a new offense."

    Maybe that's because Eli was once the young kid taking the veteran Kurt Warner's job? Warner had this to say about it "I always took the approach that I was going to make that guy as good as he can be and then I want to beat him out," Warner said. "And show everybody that I can be the starter. If he was better and deserved to be on the field, he should be on the field, and I had to welcome that as part of what helped make our team the best. I believe that's the role that you play."

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,084
    Quote Originally Posted by onanygivensunda View Post
    Mentoring your replacement is not a requirement.

    And what makes Flacco an eligible, yet alone desired mentor? Let's get real.

    It's not like he's been an elite QB in the league.... not by a long stretch.
    This is partly true, Flacco really doesn't have a whole lot to offer in terms of QB play advices- he's never made a pro bowl or really even had an above average season. However, he's been in the league a long time and has a wealth of experiences he could share with Lock in terms of game day preparation, recovery, study habits, recollections about what has been difficult for him in the playoffs, ect.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    8,156
    I love it! Any starting QB worth his roster spot should feel and say the exact same thing. I don't want him "mentoring" He tried that in Baltimore and it bit him hard. All I was Joe to do is focus on giving us awesome Bronco football this season. If Lock wants to be the starting QB of the Denver Broncos, he has to take it upon himself to get to the next level.
    #swapping

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I don't think Flacco has fully come to terms with his new role in the NFL- the mentor/bridge QB role. He will likely be forced to when this year proceeds similar to last year for him and he finds himself in Tampa Bay with Jake Fromm behind him for a couple of weeks. He is firmly in the McCown, Keenum, Fitzpatrick area.

    Fully entrenched starters have been far more gracious in their acceptance of new blood. I can't fault Flacco for how he responded and I'm not surprised by it either, but I would have hoped for something else in a perfect world. Heck, Eli Manning is significantly better than Flacco and he was a part of the pre-draft process, even took Daniel Jones out to dinner to go over things 1-on-1.

    When asked about the Giants taking a QB early he said "Yeah, I figure the Giants are going to get a young quarterback. So I understand that, I still have to do my job, and I'll do my part. And my job as I see it is to go out there and play quarterback and win football games. That is what I'll do." Then when asked specifically about mentoring the new QB, he said "That's just kind of part of being a quarterback, enjoy putting in the extra effort and work to get everybody up to speed and help young guys when they're trying to learn a new offense."

    Maybe that's because Eli was once the young kid taking the veteran Kurt Warner's job? Warner had this to say about it "I always took the approach that I was going to make that guy as good as he can be and then I want to beat him out," Warner said. "And show everybody that I can be the starter. If he was better and deserved to be on the field, he should be on the field, and I had to welcome that as part of what helped make our team the best. I believe that's the role that you play."
    Wow. You are pretty sure Flacco is going to be a disaster, aren't you? You say Joe hasn't accepted his role. Well, maybe his role isn't what you think it is. Maybe he isn't a McCown type starter. Maybe Elway wasn't lying when he said he thought Flacco was still in his prime. Maybe there's a reason why he passed on Lock three times before drafting him. Maybe you should see how he actually plays for Denver before writing him off.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    691
    Joeís comments donít bother me. Heís trying to learn the system just like Lock is. Flacco should worry about winning games. Lock should try to soak up as much as possible by observing.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,768
    I donít mind the comments. For the second year in a row, heís on a team that drafted his imminent replacement. He should be focused on himself. Iím more worried that if Lock hasnít caught up by this time next season, or isnít at least in the discussion of being the starter, we have another Lynch on our hands.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    15,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    I donít mind the comments. For the second year in a row, heís on a team that drafted his imminent replacement. He should be focused on himself. Iím more worried that if Lock hasnít caught up by this time next season, or isnít at least in the discussion of being the starter, we have another Lynch on our hands.
    All good points although I donít see the signs of another Lynch. The only similarities they have are a big arm.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,083
    doesnt bother me.

    his job is to win games, not play at being a coach.

    Dont get me wrong, it would be great if he were to help, but honestly, its not a big deal.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,084
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Wow. You are pretty sure Flacco is going to be a disaster, aren't you? You say Joe hasn't accepted his role. Well, maybe his role isn't what you think it is. Maybe he isn't a McCown type starter. Maybe Elway wasn't lying when he said he thought Flacco was still in his prime. Maybe there's a reason why he passed on Lock three times before drafting him. Maybe you should see how he actually plays for Denver before writing him off.
    I'm just sure Flacco will be roughly what he always has been- below average.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •