Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gerald McCoy released

Thoughts?

We need a true DT but I am not sure if he would fit our system because I donít pay attention to the Bucs.

I know cap would be a concern but there are still ways to make some room cough cut Wolfe cough.

Heíd make at least what Wolfe is making if not more so there isnít any salary cap relief and while heís more productive than Wolfe heís also 2 years older. If heíd come for less money than Wolfe and we could some of that extra to resign Harris Iíd be for it but I think he will want to go to an established contender before considering us.

However this does leave Tampa Bay in an interesting predicament with LaVonte David. They released McCoy because no team would trade for him and his 13 million dollar salary. David is similar in that heís 9.75 this year and 10.75 next but none of it is guaranteed. With ILB being a gaping hole at the moment I might float an offer to try and get him here. Perhaps Wolfe for David and the usual late round pick nonsense. Walker and/or Jones would really have to step up to fill the void in the rotation this season but I think that would improve our defense.

If no one is willing to pay McCoy $13 million his play has dropped off a lot.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 05-20-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Doubt it, but

Guesstimated Depth:
    DE: Derek Wolfe 10.925M (2.375M Dead) / Dre'Mont Jones Rookie Deal
    DT: Shelby Harris 3.1M (0 Dead) / Zach Kerr 2.05M (600K Dead)
    DE: Adam Gotsis 1.253M (266K Dead) / DeMarcus Walker 1.4M (915K Dead)

Bubble: Billy Winn 805K (0 Dead), Mike Purcell 645K (0 Dead)

Team Cap Space (OverTheCap): $10,650,205
    Current Dead Cap: $21,407,244

Maybe McCoy will take 5M on a prove it deal and Denver releases DeMarcus Walker?

Wolfe / Jones
    Harris / Kerr
    McCoy / Gotsis

They cut McCoy to sign Suh! Now whatís that say about McCoy?

On a very cap friendly deal, coo but if not then Sayonara!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    They cut McCoy to sign Suh! Now whatís that say about McCoy?

On a very cap friendly deal, coo but if not then Sayonara!
    Just means they want to save money. I donít know the details to sub deal but Iím sure itís less than what McCoy was making.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Guesstimated Depth:

Maybe McCoy will take 5M on a prove it deal and Denver releases DeMarcus Walker?

Wolfe / Jones
    Harris / Kerr
    McCoy / Gotsis
    I don't particularly want to release Walker period when he is only at 1.4 million. I think he has looked good when he has seen action. Now that we may actually have some competent coaches who can coach him up and utilize what he does best and not the opposite, I would like to see what we have.

I doubt McCoy would take 5 to begin with. But regardless , I'd prefer Walker not be a part of the deal. He doesn't cost that much and I'd like to actually see what he can do if given a chance.
    ďNever argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.Ē

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I don't particularly want to release Walker period when he is only at 1.4 million. I think he has looked good when he has seen action. Now that we may actually have some competent coaches who can coach him up and utilize what he does best and not the opposite, I would like to see what we have.

I doubt McCoy would take 5 to begin with. But regardless , I'd prefer Walker not be a part of the deal. He doesn't cost that much and I'd like to actually see what he can do if given a chance.
    I think Suh got $10m which might set a ballpark figure for McCoy. Negotiations with Harris are in progress, and I don't think Denver has the cap space to consider McCoy.

Walker is my favorite DLman on our roster.

My logic cutting him was the following:

Wolfe's '19 option was picked up. He's safe.
    Harris was re-signed and possibly our second best DLman.
    Kerr was re-signed and doubt he gets released.
    Gotsis is still under a rookie deal and showed promise.
    Jones is a rookie.

If Denver carries six DLs, then Walker may be on the bubble if the Broncos sign McCoy.

Again, I hope Walker stays too.

In the 2018 preseason I saw Walker double teamed often when he was on the field. Who knows what VJ and Woods weíre thinking but weíre Finding out more and more that their main focus was on the secondary.

They didnít have a clue on the defensive line or how to Coach players in the trenches. It would be absolutely detriment to the team to cut player who was drafted high without first giving him a legit shot.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 05-23-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    In the 2018 preseason I saw Walker double teamed often when he was on the field. Who knows what VJ and Woods we’re thinking but we’re Finding out more and more that their main focus was on the secondary.

They didn’t have a clue on the defensive line or how to Coach players in the trenches. It would be absolutely detriment to the team to cut player who was drafted high without first giving him a legit shot.
    Wouldn't it be great for the Broncos that after 3 years in the league, with a total of 11 Tackles, that somehow every Coach on the Broncos staff, including Kollar, somehow have missed on Walker's hidden talents?

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Guesstimated Depth:

Wolfe / Jones
    Harris / Kerr
    McCoy / Gotsis
    Pass I don't think he fits the system well and I like what we have in Walker and Jones

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Wouldn't it be great for the Broncos that after 3 years in the league, with a total of 11 Tackles, that somehow every Coach on the Broncos staff, including Kollar, somehow have missed on Walker's hidden talents?
    Yes it would be. And considering our coaching and the utter mess of a defense they put together the last two years , it wouldnít even be a surprise.

Those coaches didnít correctly use the talent they were given and couldnít gameplan worth a damn. I honestly think they couldíve been given a square peg with 9 square holes and one round hole and they would have tried to fit the square peg in the round hole. Then they would have come to the podium with a dear in the headlight look and said the square peg had to perform better.

Yes it would be. And considering our coaching and the utter mess of a defense they put together the last two years , it wouldnít even be a surprise.

Those coaches didnít correctly use the talent they were given and couldnít gameplan worth a damn. I honestly think they couldíve been given a square peg with 9 square holes and one round hole and they would have tried to fit the square peg in the round hole. Then they would have come to the podium with a dear in the headlight look and said the square peg had to perform better.
    Or that the square peg had a good week of practices.......

Yes it would be. And considering our coaching and the utter mess of a defense they put together the last two years , it wouldn’t even be a surprise.

Those coaches didn’t correctly use the talent they were given and couldn’t gameplan worth a damn. I honestly think they could’ve been given a square peg with 9 square holes and one round hole and they would have tried to fit the square peg in the round hole. Then they would have come to the podium with a dear in the headlight look and said the square peg had to perform better.
    Yeah, I don't buy it. Bill Kollar has been our Defensive Line Coach since 2014, and has been Walker's coach since Walker came into the NFL. If Kollar wanted Walker out on the field, Walker would have been out on the field. There was no conspiracy of incompetence on the part of Vance Joseph (who is still employed in the NFL as a DC in Arizona), or any of the other fired coaches, to hide a secret talent from the Broncos fans, or to keep Walker hidden from the rest of the NFL. At this point, the only reason for the Broncos to keep Walker on the roster is for reasons of "pride" and "ego" from a Front Office who may have made a huge mistake with another top Draft choice.

I certainly hope I'm wrong about him.