Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Yeah, I don't buy it. Bill Kollar has been our Defensive Line Coach since 2014, and has been Walker's coach since Walker came into the NFL. If Kollar wanted Walker out on the field, Walker would have been out on the field. There was no conspiracy of incompetence on the part of Vance Joseph (who is still employed in the NFL as a DC in Arizona), or any of the other fired coaches, to hide a secret talent from the Broncos fans, or to keep Walker hidden from the rest of the NFL. At this point, the only reason for the Broncos to keep Walker on the roster is for reasons of "pride" and "ego" from a Front Office who may have made a huge mistake with another top Draft choice.

I certainly hope I'm wrong about him.
    Who said anything about a conspiracy?

They were simply inept.

Walker has until about 3rd preseason game to prove me wrong.

Yeah, I don't buy it. Bill Kollar has been our Defensive Line Coach since 2014, and has been Walker's coach since Walker came into the NFL. If Kollar wanted Walker out on the field, Walker would have been out on the field. There was no conspiracy of incompetence on the part of Vance Joseph (who is still employed in the NFL as a DC in Arizona), or any of the other fired coaches, to hide a secret talent from the Broncos fans, or to keep Walker hidden from the rest of the NFL. At this point, the only reason for the Broncos to keep Walker on the roster is for reasons of "pride" and "ego" from a Front Office who may have made a huge mistake with another top Draft choice.

The coach can be the greatest position coach in the league but if a player doesn’t fit the scheme of the head coach it won’t matter much.

We’re about to witness the best POWER blocking offensive line coach In the league coach Garrett Bolles to fit a zone blocking scheme...

Not saying Bolles doesn’t fit but as good as Munchak is coaching a power scheme, he may not be so successfully coaching a zone blocking scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    The coach can be the greatest position coach in the league but if a player doesn’t fit the scheme of the head coach it won’t matter much.

We’re about to witness the best POWER blocking offensive line coach In the league coach Garrett Bolles to fit a zone blocking scheme...

Not saying Bolles doesn’t fit but as good as Munchak is coaching a power scheme, he may not be so successfully coaching a zone blocking scheme.
    Dave Magazu coached a rushing attack that was about half zone/half angle. I'm sure Mike Munchak can do the same.

When he was named HC, Vic Fangio talked about offensive balance and how it's more than just number of plays rushing/passing. It's how a team runs or passes. I'll be watching to see if Denver's rushing attack includes angle blocked run plays in addition to zone steps.

Fangio knows what he wants the offense to do in terms of balance. He has already given Scangarello his parameters. RS knows angle blocked rushing because he's been around, probably has a comprehensive playbook and has Mike Munchak & Chris Kuper to coach his O-Line.

As far as Bolles is concerned, I've thought for a long time that it's easier to teach an angle blocker zone steps than the other way around.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new offense in action. I may even chart plays again.

Walker was moved to OLB his rookie year so Kollar has not coached him his whole career. Vance Joseph made the decision to ask a 280 lb interior pass rusher to drop 30 lbs and play standing up something he had never done before. He didn’t even look comfortable playing DE in college and got the majority of his sacks rushing as a 3 tech. That is a stupid coaching decision point blank. Then in year two they move him back to DE and he has to regain his weight and try to keep his weight up throughout the season. 1 stupid decision in year one effectively ruined 2 of his seasons and despite that he’s still been productive when on the field.

Kollar may be the best dline coach in the NFL but how do you know he’s setting up the dline rotations? Many people on this board think Shelby Harris is our best dlinemen (rightfully so IMO) yet Harris had the lowest snap count of all of them aside from Walker and his 21 snaps. Was Kerr, Peko, and Wolfe better than Harris? They were not, the only dlinemen I feel you could even make a case for us Adam Gotsis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

Munchak actually coaches both. I read stories about how he brought the zone scheme to the Steelers. Which makes sense when you consider how Bell played, he would almost stop while waiting for the hole to open up, that works in a zone scheme, in a power/angle scheme he'd have been blown up.

Here's an article from January where Munchak talked about the blocking scheme they'd be using in Denver and how he's experienced with both zone and angle.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ver-128303375/
    Last edited by Butler By'Note; 05-24-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Walker has done little to this point, everyone agrees with that. And I'm not sure that he'll do anything. But I really don't see blaming Kollar here? Walker has played 2 seasons, during season 1 they moved him to linebacker and tried to get him to do things he's never done, while losing weight. It didn't work and he got moved back. Last year he played DL and that was Kola's first year working with him. Chances are he didn't show enough to elevate himself to being active on game days ahead of the other guys, and he isn't a Special Teams guy which means that he would never be an extra guy who was active.

Regardless of who has position coach is, his biggest issue is that he doesn't really fit the defensive front they used, nor the one they're going to use. At 280 he's a strong side Defensive End, not an interior guy. His best role for the Broncos (actually his only role) might be playing DE in nickel and dime packages when they go to a 4-2-5 or 4-1-6, work him in as a rotation player with Miller, Chubb and Holland. The only problem with that, he'd need to start appearing on some Special Teams. And a 280 pound player that ran a 4.88 probably won't have a role on Special Teams.

As for the original subject of McCoy, the Broncos don't have cap space for him, and he doesn't really fit the makeup of their team. He'll sign with either Baltimore or Cleveland thinking they're contenders but I don't think either will be as good as expected this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Munchak actually coaches both. I read stories about how he brought the zone scheme to the Steelers. Which makes sense when you consider how Bell played, he would almost stop while waiting for the hole to open up, that works in a zone scheme, in a power/angle scheme he'd have been blown up.

Here's an article from January where Munchak talked about the blocking scheme they'd be using in Denver and how he's experienced with both zone and angle.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ver-128303375/
    Dave Magazu used influence effectively. If Scangarello/Munchak intend to use influence in their rushing attack, they will need to use enough angle blocking to make it viable.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Dave Magazu used influence effectively. If Scangarello/Munchak intend to use influence in their rushing attack, they will need to use enough angle blocking to make it viable.
    From what I've seen/read the run game will be outside zone heavy and everything will be based off of that. That seems to be the new vogue run game.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    From what I've seen/read the run game will be outside zone heavy and everything will be based off of that. That seems to be the new vogue run game.
    We shall see.