2022 Draft And THC.

So, I am sitting here today after reading all the news today. The NFL announced 2023 draft leaving 2022 up in the air. Also announced that the league will look at medicinal benefits of marijuana and whether or not it should be taken off the banned substance lift.

So I am wondering if any of you are optimistic about Denvers chances of hosting the 2022 draft IF marijuana is deemed safe?

I started to think of the 2 being tied together today. If THC is approved, draft will go to Denver. If Not approved they will name another city. I realized that the league really could not give it to Denver under the current circumstances as with it being legal, but banned in the NFL, it could be a nightmare scenario with many failed blood tests, TMZ trying to catch guys in shops etc... but if THC is approved by the NFL and then let Denver have 2022 the following year...party on. No bad press, no failed tests, just the ability to kick back and enjoy the draft.
    2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by conannilsen View Post
    So, I am sitting here today after reading all the news today. The NFL announced 2023 draft leaving 2022 up in the air. Also announced that the league will look at medicinal benefits of marijuana and whether or not it should be taken off the banned substance lift.

So I am wondering if any of you are optimistic about Denvers chances of hosting the 2022 draft IF marijuana is deemed safe?

I started to think of the 2 being tied together today. If THC is approved, draft will go to Denver. If Not approved they will name another city. I realized that the league really could not give it to Denver under the current circumstances as with it being legal, but banned in the NFL, it could be a nightmare scenario with many failed blood tests, TMZ trying to catch guys in shops etc... but if THC is approved by the NFL and then let Denver have 2022 the following year...party on. No bad press, no failed tests, just the ability to kick back and enjoy the draft.
    You may be onto something however I think the league may just be looking into it to satisfy Denver officials. Sadly I doubt the league has any intentions of accepting medicinal marijuana by removing it from the banned substance list.
    Miller Ware Chubb 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    You may be onto something however I think the league may just be looking into it to satisfy Denver officials. Sadly I doubt the league has any intentions of accepting medicinal marijuana by removing it from the banned substance list.
    It was definitely not something I really considered before. I have my doubts about the issue too, but enough players are admitting to using it, and the league really does need some positive press. I'm thinking this issue gets used as a bargaining chip as we head into the next cba. Something I also haven't considered is that 2021 is expected to be a lockout isnt it. Probably the real reason they didn't name a team could be that they may believe there wont be a draft. May need a last minute location IF a cba gets reached. Totally forgot about that.

When approved, I think all the first round players should take a hit off the same communal joint handed to them by Goodell.

Here's a list from the HoF web site:

"Only eight cities have hosted the NFL draft since it was first established in 1936. Those cities alphabetically include Chicago (1938, 1942-1943, 1951, 1962-1964, 2015-2016), Dallas (2018), Los Angeles (1956), Milwaukee (1940), New York City (1937, 1939, 1944-1947, 1952, 1955, 1965-2014), Philadelphia (1936, 1944, 1949-1961, 2017), Pittsburgh (1948-1949) and Washington DC (1941)."

https://www.profootballhof.com/histo...t-host-cities/

If you are interested in the draft host city site then figure out what those places have in common, especially the cities that hosted multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    When approved, I think all the first round players should take a hit off the same communal joint handed to them by Goodell.
    That would be pretty sweet, would do wonders for the perception of Goodell. Although personally, he seems like the type that couldn't bear to put himself through that. "I just dont like losing control of myself" type. And if so would canoe the thing and everyone would boo him. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Here's a list from the HoF web site:

"Only eight cities have hosted the NFL draft since it was first established in 1936. Those cities alphabetically include Chicago (1938, 1942-1943, 1951, 1962-1964, 2015-2016), Dallas (2018), Los Angeles (1956), Milwaukee (1940), New York City (1937, 1939, 1944-1947, 1952, 1955, 1965-2014), Philadelphia (1936, 1944, 1949-1961, 2017), Pittsburgh (1948-1949) and Washington DC (1941)."

https://www.profootballhof.com/histo...t-host-cities/

If you are interested in the draft host city site then figure out what those places have in common, especially the cities that hosted multiple times.
    Well that's easy, closer proximity to multiple fan bases. That's always a goal. I think in this era though it's about developing smaller markets with potential for growth. Every city would do a great job of hosting the draft anyway. Tennessee was great as the only have Football and Hockey. It is Football State first and foremost.

I moreso hope legalization comes as players will flock to Denver to "Brand" themselves. Would be a definite selling point I am sure. Although maybe that would still be banned. Depends on whether its embraced, hesitantly accepted, or stays as is.

thread is OK but lets not get into the politics of THC or condoning use as it is still illegal in most states and federally...

I would love a draft in Denver ...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    thread is OK but lets not get into the politics of THC or condoning use as it is still illegal in most states and federally...

I would love a draft in Denver ...
    I certainly can't go that route. Not my Politics. All this is for me, is one part speaking it into existence, and another part pre planning my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by conannilsen View Post
    I certainly can't go that route. Not my Politics. All this is for me, is one part speaking it into existence, and another part pre planning my trip.
    perfect...especially the pre-planning
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    perfect...especially the pre-planning
    I've watched them in Seattle 3 times, but never there. First time in 97. Sat with Shawn Springs family. They were awesome. We were in Enemy Colors and we talked humorous trash talk all game. Was so fun. We won. Springs got his first 2 picks. Such a small chance we got to be a part of something special for both. Was awesome.

Now being born and raised in BC. I look forward to getting there soon. Because it was my destiny. I was born to get there at this time. It will be glorious. Lol.

The draft is going to Vegas next year, and Nevada is a state where pot is legal. The Super Bowl has been in Santa Clara and will be in Inglewood in 2022 and pot is legal there.

I don't think the two are connected at all. Supplements that contain substances banned by the NFL are available everywhere. Ultimately players are responsible for what's in their body when tested, regardless legality in each location.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

But they don't really even test for it. As long as a player is not in the Substance Abuse Program they can only be tested once per year between April 20th and the end of August. Once they pass that test then they can do what they want until April 20th of the next year.

That assumes that the player tests clean and that they aren't arrested for any drug related issues, both of which would put them into the program and open the door for unlimited year round tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    But they don't really even test for it. As long as a player is not in the Substance Abuse Program they can only be tested once per year between April 20th and the end of August. Once they pass that test then they can do what they want until April 20th of the next year.

That assumes that the player tests clean and that they aren't arrested for any drug related issues, both of which would put them into the program and open the door for unlimited year round tests.
    Absolutely, enough players have spoken up to say that used it the whole time, so has to be the case that they really dont screen hard for it. Or far more would have been caught. Excellent point.