Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DeMarcus Walker

Hybrid View

DeMarcus Walker

I could not find a thread on Walker (i thought there was one...weird). I just watched the Fangio presser where he commented on Champ getting into the Ring of Fame. The one thing which really stuck out for me was his tone and comments on Walker. Perhaps I am reading too much into it but the way he spoke of Walker was VERY different then the other players. We always hear from the players who turn analysts that most players get warned if they violate certain polices before they get dinged. There is a large part of me that wonders if Walker has gotten himself into trouble and it just never made it to the fans....The one comment that made me go down this road/ comments is when Fangio stated that he thought Walker had likely "matured". He also said that he thought he was in a good mental place/ mental mind-set. Again there were just a few oddities and MAJOR differences in how he spoke of Walker compared to others.

Thoughts?

There was a comment in the Denver Post recently where Walker said he felt good because he thought this coaching staff would treat him fairly. It seems he felt the last coaching staff didn't give him a fair shot.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    There was a comment in the Denver Post recently where Walker said he felt good because he thought this coaching staff would treat him fairly. It seems he felt the last coaching staff didn't give him a fair shot.
    Which is understandable, he played well in limited chances and wasnít given a fair chance. I hope him and Jones feature heavily this season getting after the QB

Demarcus Walker is being Coached by the same Coach that was coaching the Defensive Line when Walker came into the league. So blaming the Coaching staff, or some nebulous, imagined transgression as being Walker's problem seems to be "grasping at straws".

So, what are the possibilities? Either there is some vast conspiracy to keep a great player off the field, the coaches are incompetent, or Walker can't play. Sadly, I believe the odds favor that latter. I certainly hope I'm wrong. Drafted as a pass-rusher, Walker may benefit by the Broncos losing Shaq Barrett, and Shane Ray. But actually, Dre'mont Jones may be the player that spells the end of Walker's short, uneventful career.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Demarcus Walker is being Coached by the same Coach that was coaching the Defensive Line when Walker came into the league. So blaming the Coaching staff, or some nebulous, imagined transgression as being Walker's problem seems to be "grasping at straws".
    Really? The D-Line coaches were coaching the Outside Linebackers? That's news to me. No wonder our Defense fell off.

So, what are the possibilities? Either there is some vast conspiracy to keep a great player off the field, the coaches are incompetent, or Walker can't play. Sadly, I believe the odds favor that latter. I certainly hope I'm wrong. Drafted as a pass-rusher, Walker may benefit by the Broncos losing Shaq Barrett, and Shane Ray. But actually, Dre'mont Jones may be the player that spells the end of Walker's short, uneventful career.
    You are incorrect. In 2017 the Broncos kept Fred Pagac from the previous staff as their OLB coach. In 2018 they fired Pagac and decided that the OLBs would spend half their time with Reggie Herring and half their time with Bill Kollar.

So for Walker's rookie year at OLB he was coached by Fred Pagac, his second year he was coached by Bill Kollar.

It's also not really "grasping at straws" to suggest that his struggles could be due in part to a coaching staff asking a 280 pound DE to lose 25-30 pounds and play a position he's never played before, before then asking him to get back up to 280 and go back to his other position.

I'm with you in that I don't think he'll make it, but I think you're overlooking several things to get to your conclusion.

He never should have been drafted here. It was a terrible scheme fit from the beginning.

Isnít athletic enough to be a standup OLB as has shown to be the case. To small to be the DE in a 3-4.

Needed to go to a 4-3 team where he could one gap, and use his quick 1st step and swim move. Hated the pick Day one because of the fit not the player.

Hopefully he can get some 3tech work in nickel and dime packages and be a nice rotational player. Will never be a everydown player here though unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by kerkhoff1 View Post
    He never should have been drafted here. It was a terrible scheme fit from the beginning.

Isn’t athletic enough to be a standup OLB as has shown to be the case. To small to be the DE in a 3-4.

Needed to go to a 4-3 team where he could one gap, and use his quick 1st step and swim move. Hated the pick Day one because of the fit not the player.

Hopefully he can get some 3tech work in nickel and dime packages and be a nice rotational player. Will never be a everydown player here though unfortunately.
    The kid is getting up there towards 300 pounds. He's not too small to be a 3-4 DE. Here's an interview with him from last year's training camp where he talks about the change from OLB to DE:

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/...tural-position

Some excerpts:

Reporter: Do you feel like you're back to your natural position now?

Walker: I feel like I'm back, period.

Reporter: What's the difference, I mean what have you been able to do?

Walker: It's just my mindset, you know, buying in to what I got to do. Enjoying what I do. Just coming out here and just getting better.

Reporter: Your second season now. You feel like you're in a completely different spot?

Walker: Oh man, yeah. Yeah. I love where I'm at. Just got to keep performing. Every chance I get.

A lot of you don't want to hear this, but DeMarcus Walker got screwed over by the Denver Broncos. The coaching staff blew his rookie year on a failed experiment. He had to do the work to come back from that. Mentally and physically...and he did that. During his second year he wasn't given the snaps that he earned. If we had been in the midst of a playoff hunt late in the year, sure. No reason to upset the apple cart. But that's not where we were. We were spiraling into the depths of our division and should have been playing 'potential' guys to examine our roster. Guys like Walker who showed impact with limited snaps. Situations like this are what make me glad that VJ was fired. He needed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    The kid is getting up there towards 300 pounds. He's not too small to be a 3-4 DE. Here's an interview with him from last year's training camp where he talks about the change from OLB to DE:

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/...tural-position

Some excerpts:

Reporter: Do you feel like you're back to your natural position now?

Walker: I feel like I'm back, period.

Reporter: What's the difference, I mean what have you been able to do?

Walker: It's just my mindset, you know, buying in to what I got to do. Enjoying what I do. Just coming out here and just getting better.

Reporter: Your second season now. You feel like you're in a completely different spot?

Walker: Oh man, yeah. Yeah. I love where I'm at. Just got to keep performing. Every chance I get.

A lot of you don't want to hear this, but DeMarcus Walker got screwed over by the Denver Broncos. The coaching staff blew his rookie year on a failed experiment. He had to do the work to come back from that. Mentally and physically...and he did that. During his second year he wasn't given the snaps that he earned. If we had been in the midst of a playoff hunt late in the year, sure. No reason to upset the apple cart. But that's not where we were. We were spiraling into the depths of our division and should have been playing 'potential' guys to examine our roster. Guys like Walker who showed impact with limited snaps. Situations like this are what make me glad that VJ was fired. He needed to be.
    There were some things which I liked about VJ and others which just solidified that I knew he was not HC ready. The one ting I liked was that we saw an un-drafted guy like Lindsay rise through the ranks properly and earn playing time. This was a pleasant departure from what we saw this team do with Kyle Sloter and letting him walk despite having major questions at that position. I also saw it as growth from the days we saw CJ Anderson playing well as a UDFA, making the 53-Man roster but then getting little to no playing time.

Then the bad - we took a lighter DE and made him lose weight and play a position which he was not used to playing. Then we never bothered to bring him back into the rotation in his second year once we had him put back on the weight....what shocked me here is that Elway and others never bothered to step in and ask VJ to play some of the younger draft picks despite the team losing multiple games in a row. EVEN if it was just to see what we had as a team.

AS a poster mentioned above there was mention at one point where Walker and VJ were feuding....I have YET to find a specific mention of it but did find this article where the title suggests that Walker was in the doghouse no mention of why AND VJ kept spewing nonsense that the best guys will play and that based on who dressed that "D-Walk" was essentially not one of them. ALLL of this despite the fact that the Broncos have been starving for an interior rush since the 2015 season and our SB victory.

I hope Walker can prove these coaches wrong and that a guy sitting at 285 can be a force in the middle of the Defensive line. Based on VJ's comments and Vangio's less that committed response I wish Walker all of the best in the PS games. He'll need to wreak havoc IMO to make the 53-man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by kerkhoff1 View Post

Isn’t athletic enough to be a standup OLB as has shown to be the case. To small to be the DE in a 3-4.

Denver has 1 gapped since Del Rio left, so it's not a bad scheme fit that way. But I agree he's a strong side end. I think he could be a good rotational player at End in nickel and dime packages, subbing with Miller, Chubb and Holland.

What is treated fairly? What might have been considered no big deal by some might be an insult to others.

Just spitballing here but Walker came out of college as a dline pass rusher. He was asked to lose weight and standup as a linebacker his rookie season. Maybe he didnít handle it well?

Maybe he needed last year out of the rotation to ďmatureĒ and get his head back into football.

Personally I liked what I saw him do in college. It will be interesting to see if he can regain some of that intensity now that he is back on the line and Fangio seems to be giving him a fresh start.

I hope he finds whatever he lost. Because the Broncos can use the depth on the line.

As others have said, he has made some plays when getting a chance to play. His first season was mostly wasted trying to play him at OLB/Edge, somewhere that he didn't really fit. Some players take some time to become good NFL players; I hope Walker comes through to be part of the Dline rotation this season... I am interested in seeing it.

You mean other then VJ forcing him to lose a a lot of weight and play out of position as a stand up olb then ya same dline coach

When Walker came out, the options were: have him gain weight to play DE in a 3-4 defense or lose weight to play OLB.

I donít think it was necessarily a bad decision to go with the latter.

Weíll see if he does better as a lineman.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    When Walker came out, the options were: have him gain weight to play DE in a 3-4 defense or lose weight to play OLB.

I donít think it was necessarily a bad decision to go with the latter.

Weíll see if he does better as a lineman.
    i don't think he fits in the nfl as a pure outside rusher. one of the things he did best in college was rush from the interior. and he is general to fast and quick for guards.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait