Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 120

Thread: DeMarcus Walker

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Common sense would suggest the coaches make coaching decisions and the GM acquires personnel. This is not Jerry Jones or Al Davis we are talking about here. Elway has never had a hand in player decisions, so why would common sense dictate that Walker would be the one time he has?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Your comments about Elwayís involvement were speculation, which would be fine if not spoken as fact.
    So.... you assume GMS draft players with no idea with how they fit on a team?? That makes no sense

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    15,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post
    So.... you assume GMS draft players with no idea with how they fit on a team?? That makes no sense
    You were suggesting you knew Elway had a scouting report stating a 275 pound player with 4.9 speed would be a good OLB.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post
    So.... you assume GMS draft players with no idea with how they fit on a team?? That makes no sense
    Do you mean no sensley?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    You were suggesting you knew Elway had a scouting report stating a 275 pound player with 4.9 speed would be a good OLB.
    Yeah, lol, that whole line of reasoning is goofy. He was drafted as a DE/DT. Not an EDGE DE/OLB. Some people want to blame Elway for everything.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Yeah, lol, that whole line of reasoning is goofy. He was drafted as a DE/DT. Not an EDGE DE/OLB. Some people want to blame Elway for everything.
    Yes Iím suggesting that Elway scouted Walker with the potential to play both positions. Thatís exactly what Iím saying
    -Bronco in UT


    While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play [U]EVERY[/U] time on every drive[/COLOR][/B]. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

    Helll of a post

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post
    Yes Iím suggesting that Elway scouted Walker with the potential to play both positions. Thatís exactly what Iím saying
    There is a major difference when you have a player your asking to play both positions in a rotational role. Almost how we sometimes used D.Ware as an OLB and a DE....There is a completely different aspect to Walker's situation though....he was asked to fundamentally alter his body in a major way and completely CHANGE positions. So yes I agree Elway likely scouted him with the potential of moving him around....that is NOT how we first started to try and use him as a team though....

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    There is a major difference when you have a player your asking to play both positions in a rotational role. Almost how we sometimes used D.Ware as an OLB and a DE....There is a completely different aspect to Walker's situation though....he was asked to fundamentally alter his body in a major way and completely CHANGE positions. So yes I agree Elway likely scouted him with the potential of moving him around....that is NOT how we first started to try and use him as a team though....

    Finally someone gets what Iím saying
    -Bronco in UT


    While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play [U]EVERY[/U] time on every drive[/COLOR][/B]. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

    Helll of a post

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    8,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post
    So.... you assume GMS draft players with no idea with how they fit on a team?? That makes no sense
    Your previous comments spoke to specific conversations between Elway and Vance Joseph. The fact is that we donít know what they spoke about with respect to DeMarcus Walker. Itís one thing to generalize how a GM might assess a player however itís completely different to act as if you know Elwayís thought process and/or the specific details of his discussions with the coaching staff.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post
    Yes Iím suggesting that Elway scouted Walker with the potential to play both positions. Thatís exactly what Iím saying
    What are you basing that on?

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,510
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    What are you basing that on?
    Well I think it is a fair statement. I mean Walker entered into our building nearly immediately after we lost D.Ware. D.Ware weighed in at 260ish pounds. So a guy who weighted in at 275 LBS who had a general reputation for beating guys with a combination of speed and power.... basically a stretch attempt to replace D.Ware. Ware was used in both DE/OLB spots. I don't think it is a stretch to think that Elway and the scouting staff saw an opportunity to get a larger younger version of D.Ware.

    Before you try to go off on me comparing the two...NO I am not saying Walker is anywhere NEAR D.Ware in terms of skills or skill-sets. AS far as draft profiles go though...I would say they are more similar than not. IE. DE/OLB role NOT DE/DT role.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Well I think it is a fair statement. I mean Walker entered into our building nearly immediately after we lost D.Ware. D.Ware weighed in at 260ish pounds. So a guy who weighted in at 275 LBS who had a general reputation for beating guys with a combination of speed and power.... basically a stretch attempt to replace D.Ware. Ware was used in both DE/OLB spots. I don't think it is a stretch to think that Elway and the scouting staff saw an opportunity to get a larger younger version of D.Ware.

    Before you try to go off on me comparing the two...NO I am not saying Walker is anywhere NEAR D.Ware in terms of skills or skill-sets. AS far as draft profiles go though...I would say they are more similar than not. IE. DE/OLB role NOT DE/DT role.
    I disagree, even in college Walker had the majority of his success inside as a 3 tech. Elway typically drafts his replacement guys a year or two before their contracts expire so Ray was supposed to be the guy. I think Walker was drafted because Gotsis was still a question mark at the time. There was little depth on the dline in 2016 with Wolfe, Winn, Crick, Gotsis, Kilgo, and Williams. Crick and Williams werenít retained and Kilgo was let go midseason. Then in the offseason we never really addressed the depth signing bargain guys like Kerr and Harris and I think Rubin at some point. Kerr was just a guy to fill out the rotation and Harris ended up being a gem but wasnít brought in with the intention of being a big contributor. Walker was drafted in the 2nd round and we brought UDFAs Kyle Peko and Jarrett.

    I definitely believe he was brought in to play dline and be an interior rusher but when Mount, Ray, and Barrett were all hurt someone had to come in and play and pass rushers arenít on the market by that time in training camp and with Harris playing very well throughout camp plus with Walker needing to add weight to be a regular contributor he ended up being the odd man out. If we didnít suffer all those injuries at OLB, I donít believe Walker ever gets moved and weíd be having a totally different conversation about him right now.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    15,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Well I think it is a fair statement. I mean Walker entered into our building nearly immediately after we lost D.Ware. D.Ware weighed in at 260ish pounds. So a guy who weighted in at 275 LBS who had a general reputation for beating guys with a combination of speed and power.... basically a stretch attempt to replace D.Ware. Ware was used in both DE/OLB spots. I don't think it is a stretch to think that Elway and the scouting staff saw an opportunity to get a larger younger version of D.Ware.

    Before you try to go off on me comparing the two...NO I am not saying Walker is anywhere NEAR D.Ware in terms of skills or skill-sets. AS far as draft profiles go though...I would say they are more similar than not. IE. DE/OLB role NOT DE/DT role.
    I donít know man, it still seems like a move of desperation by the coaching staff. Ware had 4.5 speed coming out of college. There is nothing about Walker that tells me he could be like Ware, maybe similar to Malik by bulking up to 290 and playing inside, but similar to Ware? Not even close
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 06-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I don’t know man, it still seems like a move of desperation by the coaching staff. Ware had 4.5 speed coming out of college. There is nothing about Walker that tells me he could be like Ware, maybe similar to Malik by bulking up to 290 and playing inside, but similar to Ware? Not even close
    Here's Elway referencing Malik Jackson when talking about Demarcus Walker right after the draft:

    “You look at our defense and where our defense was two years ago,” Elway said Friday night, “and [Coach Vance Joseph] and I were talking about this, how effective we were when we had Malik inside and rushing inside. DeMarcus has that ability and will have that ability. That’s why we’re so excited about him.”

    https://milehighsports.com/second-ro...enver-lineman/

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    15,922
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Here's Elway referencing Malik Jackson when talking about Demarcus Walker right after the draft:

    “You look at our defense and where our defense was two years ago,” Elway said Friday night, “and [Coach Vance Joseph] and I were talking about this, how effective we were when we had Malik inside and rushing inside. DeMarcus has that ability and will have that ability. That’s why we’re so excited about him.”

    https://milehighsports.com/second-ro...enver-lineman/
    And there you have it

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    11,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    And there you have it
    So basically it was VJ who contradicted Elwayís plan to play Walker inside. VJ is gone now while Walker is still here and Vic will give him his fair shot to make a difference and thatís all thatís important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •