Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 89
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    15,048

    AFC West 2019 offseason grades: Broncos' shrewd offseason helps close gap on Chargers

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...argers-chiefs/

    If singular offseasons automatically dictated records, the Denver Broncos would be as much of a contender for the AFC West crown as the reigning division champion Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Chargers, who both won playoffs games a season ago while Denver went 6-10.
    No, the Broncos didn't have an all-time awesome offseason, but they had the most impressive team-building period of any team in the division,


    and I don't think the gap was that wide other then coaching
    we split the dolts and should have split the chiefs if CK could have actually hit a wide open DT for the winning score

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    8,585
    Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...argers-chiefs/

    If singular offseasons automatically dictated records, the Denver Broncos would be as much of a contender for the AFC West crown as the reigning division champion Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Chargers, who both won playoffs games a season ago while Denver went 6-10.
    No, the Broncos didn't have an all-time awesome offseason, but they had the most impressive team-building period of any team in the division,


    and I don't think the gap was that wide other then coaching
    we split the dolts and should have split the chiefs if CK could have actually hit a wide open DT for the winning score
    Right now Baphs is emailing the writer of this article to inform him Flacco is horrible and Rivers is way better.
    .....Some fear Terrorist.....I view them as JUSTIFIED TARGETS!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    11,919
    We have as much talent on this roster as any other team. With guys like Lindsay, Jano, Fant, Fumagali, Sutton and ES we shouldn’t have any trouble putting the points on the board and we have the defense to back us up.

    That is what these trolls under the forum floor boards live in fear of every day!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    15,048
    baps knows that his smack is weak an clueless so he avoids us

    his penchant for crying about Elway, even though Elway as a GM has done more for our team than any GM in bolt history

    his first cry was, manning is washed up, never be good again...soon followed by well he fell in your lap, as if Elway had nothing to do with convincing manning to come here

    he followed that by well all Elway does is write big cap killing checks that will cripple the broncos for years,

    when that didn't work out and we won a superbowl it was, well its because of wade, Elway assembling the defense and hiring wade had nothing to do with it
    and after manning retired and our HC kubiak was forced to quit, it then became well, Elway has done nothing...look!! he cries in his shrilly girlie voice...the team is bad and only getting worse

    but quietly Elway had three solid drafts and one decent on since 2016

    with starters
    Gotsis
    simmons
    Parks
    McGovern
    jano
    Bolles
    chubb
    Sutton
    Hamilton
    freeman/lindsey
    jewell
    fant
    risnar


    quietly our oline went from
    okung
    Garcia
    paradis
    schofield
    Stephenson
    to the best oline we have had in a decade
    Bolles
    Risnar
    McGovern
    Leary
    J James coached by the best oline coach in the game

    we have one of the best defensive coaches in the league as our HC he will get this defense back to the top again, two of the best pass rushers in the league, three Cbs in the top level of cornerbacks

    we will again have the best rushing attack in the west with a better oline.
    a better qb, and yes Flacco is better than keenum by a long way...if you only judge a qb by his stats, disregarding team talent and makeup, coaching and scheme, then qbs like rivers would be sporting rings
    but im using the fact he still can play and has more starting experience than keenum, oz, siemian combined, with the best wrs and tes he has had in years, a solid run game and improved oline, I expect the qb play to be improved

    I don't thing the talent level was below that of the charges or chiefs other than at QB, last year in DBs and the biggie, coaching...those issues are gone
    Last edited by arapaho; 06-04-2019 at 08:52 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    11,919
    Here’s a nice article on “Elway’s Broncos”.

    I originally posted in the GD section but I wanted to give our AFC WEST opposition the opportunity to voice their opinions as well so I’m reposting here.

    https://milehighsports.com/show-me-s...d-the-broncos/

    Anyone and everyone can (and will continue to) debate whether or not John Elway should have given cornerback Chris Harris Jr. a raise this season. Harris’ bump in pay was not required, as the All-Pro cornerback was already under contract. It’s also understood that there’s specific language in the contract that all but guarantees this will be Harris’ final year in Broncos orange.

    Call it a nice gesture by Elway. Say that Harris’ wish is a sign of the of the times. Believe that Harris is one of the best Broncos of all time and should be treated as such.

    Call it strange. Say it’s weird. Believe the Broncos either won or lost.

    It’s all just opinion.

    But here are the facts:

    First, Elway believes the Broncos are fully capable of winning… now.

    Second, Elway and new head coach Vic Fangio will get the best Chris Harris Jr. they possibly can.

    Elway’s desire to get a happy Chris Harris Jr. in OTAs and camp is as self-serving as it is generous. Remember, Elway’s job is two-fold every season – to put together the best possible roster he can, and to win. Period.

    And quite frankly, Elway “the GM” has not done either the past few seasons. The Broncos record of late reflects that. His missteps cannot only be found in the draft, but the Broncos have been mediocre in free agency and “staffing,” too. The Broncos coaching staff over the past two seasons was dreadful. And in free agency, the most glaring example of a big decision gone wrong is Case Keenum.

    If ever a season will be marked by the moves of a team’s GM, it’s this one for the Broncos and Elway.

    The Vance Joseph debacle was addressed by Elway. Enter Fangio.

    The Keenum mistake was admitted and correct (or so hopes Elway). Enter Joe Flacco.

    The draft was used to give his new, old quarterback a new toy in tight end Noah Fant, and protection in tackle Dalton Risner.

    Aside from Flacco, most of free agency was largely spent giving his new, old, defensive-minded coach plenty of toys on the defense – including (with Harris) three of the top-10 cornerbacks in all of football.

    If Elway’s offseason is as effective as it was busy, the Broncos – in theory – should be pretty damn good.

    And you’d better believe that Elway thinks they will be. So, not only are the quality of Elway’s transactions going to scrutinized, but so too is his assessment of his team.

    If his acquisitions – his coaching hire, his choice of quarterback, his draft, his free-agent signings – were solid, then restructuring Harris’ contract was a wise move by Elway. Not only will the Broncos retain the services of one of the league’s best cornerbacks, but they’ll be getting a player who’s auditioning for his next contract. And if we now know anything Harris, it’s that he wants to be paid and paid handsomely. The only way to make that happen in 2020 is to play above and beyond in 2019.

    If Elway bats 1.000, he might have a defense worthy of winning a Super Bowl and a quarterback capable of not screwing it up (see the 2012 Baltimore Ravens).

    If Elway bats, oh, let’s say .500, the Broncos should be much improved from a season ago.

    If Elway strikes out, then $3 million was wasted on Chris Harris Jr.

    And the Broncos might need to evaluate the evaluator. In Denver, that’s practically an unthinkable suggestion, but this season will show plenty.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    15,048
    https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...-defenders/11/


    Even a decade ago, your average slot defender was just that—average. A smaller guy without the speed to take outside receivers up the post routes and down the sideline. But as NFL offenses have defaulted to three- and four-receiver sets, the nickel and dime defender has not only become a de facto starter, but also as important as any other defensive back on the field.



    1. Chris Harris, Denver Broncos


    Harris is the best slot defender of his era, and given the importance of that position in his era, it’s easily arguable that he’s the best slot defender in NFL history. He’s posted shutout after shutout of his slot targets since he became a full-time starter for the Broncos in 2012, and though he’s also developed into an estimable outside cornerback (you don’t nab a five-year, $42.5 million contract, as he did in 2014, without that ability), it’s his unrivaled ability to shut down everything in the slot receiver’s palette—option routes, two-way goes, and all manner of route combinations—that allow him to transcend the position.
    In 2018, Harris was targeted in the slot 36 times, allowing 23 receptions for 217 yards, 104 yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions, and an opposing quarterback rating of 57.3. Just another season for the best at what he does, and it was smart of the Broncos to give the veteran a raise from $8.9 million to $12.05 million in the final year of his current contract. If Harris is a free agent in 2020, barring any labor strife, he’ll be one of the most coveted players on the open market.

    3. Bryce Callahan, Denver Broncos


    With the additions of Callahan and Kareem Jackson in free agency, and the raise they just gave Chris Harris, Vic Fangio’s Broncos now have three of the top slot defenders in the league. It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out on the field, but in Callahan’s case, Fangio certainly knows what he’s getting—Denver’s new head coach was the Bears’ defensive coordinator from 2015 through 2018, which is Callahan’s exact timeline with the team.
    One of the most technically proficient slot guys in the league, Callahan gave Fangio freedom to deploy his outside cornerbacks more aggressively, because the coach knew things were tightened up at all times inside. He was lost late in the season to a broken foot, but should be good to go for 2019.

    9. Kareem Jackson, Denver Broncos


    Jackson has become one of the most versatile defensive backs in the NFL, playing almost equally at slot, outside cornerback, and free safety for the Texans in 2018. He left Houston in free agency as part of a DB purge that also included Kevin Johnson and Tyrann Mathieu, but his value is still evident. So far, he’s been working a lot at free safety for Vic Fangio’s Broncos in early camps, and he could see most of his time there in 2019 with fellow slot stars Bryce Callahan and Chris Harris on the roster, but he’s still got the savvy and closing speed to take a turn in the slot if necessary.
    The stats prove the theory. In 2018, Jackson allowed 26 catches on 40 slot targets for 256 yards, 111 yards after the catch, no touchdowns, one interception, and an opponent passer rating of 72.5.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    11,919
    Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...-defenders/11/


    Even a decade ago, your average slot defender was just that—average. A smaller guy without the speed to take outside receivers up the post routes and down the sideline. But as NFL offenses have defaulted to three- and four-receiver sets, the nickel and dime defender has not only become a de facto starter, but also as important as any other defensive back on the field.



    1. Chris Harris, Denver Broncos


    Harris is the best slot defender of his era, and given the importance of that position in his era, it’s easily arguable that he’s the best slot defender in NFL history. He’s posted shutout after shutout of his slot targets since he became a full-time starter for the Broncos in 2012, and though he’s also developed into an estimable outside cornerback (you don’t nab a five-year, $42.5 million contract, as he did in 2014, without that ability), it’s his unrivaled ability to shut down everything in the slot receiver’s palette—option routes, two-way goes, and all manner of route combinations—that allow him to transcend the position.
    In 2018, Harris was targeted in the slot 36 times, allowing 23 receptions for 217 yards, 104 yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions, and an opposing quarterback rating of 57.3. Just another season for the best at what he does, and it was smart of the Broncos to give the veteran a raise from $8.9 million to $12.05 million in the final year of his current contract. If Harris is a free agent in 2020, barring any labor strife, he’ll be one of the most coveted players on the open market.

    3. Bryce Callahan, Denver Broncos


    With the additions of Callahan and Kareem Jackson in free agency, and the raise they just gave Chris Harris, Vic Fangio’s Broncos now have three of the top slot defenders in the league. It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out on the field, but in Callahan’s case, Fangio certainly knows what he’s getting—Denver’s new head coach was the Bears’ defensive coordinator from 2015 through 2018, which is Callahan’s exact timeline with the team.
    One of the most technically proficient slot guys in the league, Callahan gave Fangio freedom to deploy his outside cornerbacks more aggressively, because the coach knew things were tightened up at all times inside. He was lost late in the season to a broken foot, but should be good to go for 2019.

    9. Kareem Jackson, Denver Broncos


    Jackson has become one of the most versatile defensive backs in the NFL, playing almost equally at slot, outside cornerback, and free safety for the Texans in 2018. He left Houston in free agency as part of a DB purge that also included Kevin Johnson and Tyrann Mathieu, but his value is still evident. So far, he’s been working a lot at free safety for Vic Fangio’s Broncos in early camps, and he could see most of his time there in 2019 with fellow slot stars Bryce Callahan and Chris Harris on the roster, but he’s still got the savvy and closing speed to take a turn in the slot if necessary.
    The stats prove the theory. In 2018, Jackson allowed 26 catches on 40 slot targets for 256 yards, 111 yards after the catch, no touchdowns, one interception, and an opponent passer rating of 72.5.
    That’s some really encouraging info especially the fact that Jackson plays safety. I hope he’s as physical as Boss Ward. No disrespect to Simmons and Parks but we need that nasty back but perhaps Jackson and Parks can add that.

    Also hoping Cravens is fully recovered, because we need cover guy on TEs if there’s any hope of returning to the 2015 form.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    29,060
    2019-2020 AFC West - Odds To Win

    Chiefs -150
    Chargers +200
    Raiders +1000
    Broncos +1100

    ODDS TO WIN 2019-20 AFC WEST (12/29/19)
    Team Odds
    Kansas City Chiefs 5/9
    Los Angeles Chargers 11/5
    Denver Broncos 15/1
    Oakland Raiders

    Odds to Win the AFC West in 2019

    Kansas City Chiefs -160
    Los Angeles Chargers +200
    Denver Broncos +1100
    Oakland Raiders

    these are the odds and i remember arapaho posting stuff like this when it was his team that was favored so here ya go!

    the broncos are closer to the raiders level than they are the chargers or the chiefs. but then again, the charges and chiefs actually have QB's that don't suck.


    Welcome Back! #85

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    29,060
    oh and since were posting opinion articles, here's one for your reading enjoyment!

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...&sf212884374=1

    1) Los Angeles Chargers

    I believe the Chargers are the most talented, balanced and complete team in the NFL. Their outstanding general manager, Tom Telesco, has put together a deep and loaded roster. In a recent "Bold Predictions" column, I said the Bolts would field the NFL's best defense in 2019. Even if that proclamation comes up short, it won't be by much. Joey Bosa is heathy and ready to terrorize quarterbacks off the edge with his partner in crime, Melvin Ingram. Add in first-round pick Jerry Tillery on the interior, and that's a recipe for destruction. The linebacker core is solid, with Jatavis Brown, Denzel Perryman and the ageless Thomas Davis, while the secondary is quite strong. Derwin James has already established himself as one of the NFL's best safeties, as evidenced by his first-team All-Pro nod in Year 1. His elite play overshadowed the excellent work of Desmond King, who also earned first-team All-Pro honors. Meanwhile, second-round pick Nasir Adderley could be the perfect center fielder for this defensive backfield.

    And that's just half the beauty.

    Philip Rivers has shown no signs of slowing down -- I envision his name popping up in the MVP discussion yet again. The Chargers are deep and versatile at running back, with Melvin Gordon flanked by Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson. Keenan Allen is a pass-catching machine, while Mike Williams is poised for a breakout season (if last year's 10-touchdown campaign didn't already accomplish that feat). Tight end Hunter Henry is nearly a year removed from his torn ACL right now, so he should be fully ready to rock in the fall. And Rivers has operated just fine with far worse O-lines in the past.

    The Chargers are loaded for bear -- just like the team across town ...
    balanced = well rounded for all you no nothing donk fans out there!
    Last edited by baphamet; 06-04-2019 at 11:21 AM.


    Welcome Back! #85

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    29,060
    Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    baps knows that his smack is weak an clueless so he avoids us

    his penchant for crying about Elway, even though Elway as a GM has done more for our team than any GM in bolt history

    his first cry was, manning is washed up, never be good again...soon followed by well he fell in your lap, as if Elway had nothing to do with convincing manning to come here

    he followed that by well all Elway does is write big cap killing checks that will cripple the broncos for years,

    when that didn't work out and we won a superbowl it was, well its because of wade, Elway assembling the defense and hiring wade had nothing to do with it
    and after manning retired and our HC kubiak was forced to quit, it then became well, Elway has done nothing...look!! he cries in his shrilly girlie voice...the team is bad and only getting worse

    but quietly Elway had three solid drafts and one decent on since 2016

    with starters
    Gotsis
    simmons
    Parks
    McGovern
    jano
    Bolles
    chubb
    Sutton
    Hamilton
    freeman/lindsey
    jewell
    fant
    risnar


    quietly our oline went from
    okung
    Garcia
    paradis
    schofield
    Stephenson
    to the best oline we have had in a decade
    Bolles
    Risnar
    McGovern
    Leary
    J James coached by the best oline coach in the game

    we have one of the best defensive coaches in the league as our HC he will get this defense back to the top again, two of the best pass rushers in the league, three Cbs in the top level of cornerbacks

    we will again have the best rushing attack in the west with a better oline.
    a better qb, and yes Flacco is better than keenum by a long way...if you only judge a qb by his stats, disregarding team talent and makeup, coaching and scheme, then qbs like rivers would be sporting rings
    but im using the fact he still can play and has more starting experience than keenum, oz, siemian combined, with the best wrs and tes he has had in years, a solid run game and improved oline, I expect the qb play to be improved

    I don't thing the talent level was below that of the charges or chiefs other than at QB, last year in DBs and the biggie, coaching...those issues are gone
    how many probowlers has elway drafted since von miller? very few of elways draft picks pans out and that has shown over time in the win/loss department. manning isn't here to make him look good anymore, that much was shown virtually over-night. the broncos wr's are nothing special, TE is an unknown rookie, no fly zone flew away to LA. flacco has been one of the worst QB's in the league over the last 5 years at least,

    the chargers back up > joe flacco

    elway is a buffoon, such an over-rated GM but then again ive been telling you this for years only for it to be proven time and time again.
    Last edited by baphamet; 06-04-2019 at 01:26 PM.


    Welcome Back! #85

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    8,585
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    how many probowlers has elway drafted since von miller? very few of elways draft picks pans out and that has shown over time in the win/loss department. manning isn't here to make him look good anymore, that much was shown virtually over-night. the broncos wr's are nothing special, TE is an unknown rookie, no fly zone flew away to LA. flacco has been one of the worst QB's in the league over the last 5 years at least,

    the chargers back up < joe flacco

    elway is a bafoon, such an over-rated GM but then again ive been tellingn you this for years only for it to be proven time and time again.
    He’s not the best GM but like we have been telling you for years:
    5 AFC west titles
    2 conference championships
    1 Super Bowl title
    In 8 years puts him ahead of all the Charger GMs combined.
    .....Some fear Terrorist.....I view them as JUSTIFIED TARGETS!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    29,060
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    He’s not the best GM but like we have been telling you for years:
    5 AFC west titles
    2 conference championships
    1 Super Bowl title
    In 8 years puts him ahead of all the Charger GMs combined.
    yet look at his team now? one of the worst in the leauge. guess his "magic" is all gone then? magic.......or peyton manning, whatever you wanna call it.


    Welcome Back! #85

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    11,919
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    2019-2020 AFC West - Odds To Win

    Chiefs -150
    Chargers +200
    Raiders +1000
    Broncos +1100

    ODDS TO WIN 2019-20 AFC WEST (12/29/19)
    Team Odds
    Kansas City Chiefs 5/9
    Los Angeles Chargers 11/5
    Denver Broncos 15/1
    Oakland Raiders

    Odds to Win the AFC West in 2019

    Kansas City Chiefs -160
    Los Angeles Chargers +200
    Denver Broncos +1100
    Oakland Raiders

    these are the odds and i remember arapaho posting stuff like this when it was his team that was favored so here ya go!

    the broncos are closer to the raiders level than they are the chargers or the chiefs. but then again, the charges and chiefs actually have QB's that don't suck.
    They’re a lot better than you want you to give credit for!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    11,919
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    oh and since were posting opinion articles, here's one for your reading enjoyment!

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...&sf212884374=1



    balanced = well rounded for all you no nothing donk fans out there!
    Telesco May be good but what does it matter if he doesn’t win a super bowl! We’re not playing for stats here.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    29,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    They’re a lot better than you want you to give credit for!
    ive said they seem improved but i still do not like your QB situation. (speaking from a donk fans point of view, as a chargers fan i absolutely love it! )


    Welcome Back! #85

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •