• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shiz
    All-Pro
    • Feb 2008

No Fly Zone 2.0

Even a decade ago, your average slot defender was just that — average. A smaller guy without the speed to take outside receivers up the post routes and down the sideline. But as NFL offenses have d…

Love reading articles like this. With CHJ, Jackson, Callahan, Parks, Simmons, Yiadom and Fangio running the show...this has the makings of our D being tops in the league and letting Miller, Chubb, Wolfe, Harris dominate the front.
    sigpic

• EddieMac
    Canuck Mod, eh!
    • Feb 2004

I say let them earn their way to a nickname...right now it’s the Broncos secondary....
    sigpic

Comment

• Shiz
      All-Pro
      • Feb 2008

Right...buzz kill. Just saying, it’s nice to read articles Like this about our personnel and hopefully they can live up to Denver’s bar of Defense.
      sigpic

Comment

• Shiz
        All-Pro
        • Feb 2008

Oh yeah...we still have CHJ in the Broncos secondary...from the no fly zone and one of the best CBs to wear the orange and blue...but we will let him continue to earn things...
        sigpic

Comment

• the0rangecrush
          Captain
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Shiz View Post
          Oh yeah...we still have CHJ in the Broncos secondary...from the no fly zone and one of the best CBs to wear the orange and blue...but we will let him continue to earn things...
          To be fair, that's just the way the NFL works. Past success are in the past, and it's about what can you do for me in the future. Nothing hurt more than seeing Champ move on as a shell of what he was to New Orleans. Even Fangio believes this, it's why he didn't watch much film of last year's team, because he wants you to show him on the field.
          What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
          I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• the0rangecrush
            Captain
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
            I say let them earn their way to a nickname...right now it’s the Broncos secondary....
            I feel this way for the whole team. Like Fangio said about Fant. He has tools, but that doesn't make him a carpenter. The team has pieces, but let's see them develop first. I like the direction we are headed, but still a lot of unknowns to be proclaiming nicknames.
            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
            I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• rst08tierney
              VISIONS OF CONFETTI
              • Nov 2006

Yeah..... No.

Comment

• EddieMac
                Canuck Mod, eh!
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Shiz View Post

How about not him... but them? The whole secondary... they need to earn that respect as a group. we all know he has individually..
                sigpic

Comment

• TheAsianPA
                  Captain
                  • Oct 2015

A lot will have to rely on Fangio's scheme confusing the QB. He runs a different defensive scheme than Wade Phillips did, who relied man coverage and pass rushing to get to the QB. From everything that I've seen, the Dline will need to step up much more so than in the past
                  Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• conannilsen
                    Special Teams
                    • Aug 2007

From this day forward I hereby decree the new secondary shall be known as...

Short Knocks.

Obviously named after Fort Knox, and of course that we are less than average height, impossible to penetrate.
                    2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                      team preacher
                      • Mar 2008

It would seem we are poised to have a better than average zone defense.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Jonny_Quest
                        Playmaker
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                        A lot will have to rely on Fangio's scheme confusing the QB. He runs a different defensive scheme than Wade Phillips did, who relied man coverage and pass rushing to get to the QB. From everything that I've seen, the Dline will need to step up much more so than in the past
                        Quite the opposite I'd say.

Because we were playing man, and offenses knew we were playing man, the D-Line had to apply more pressure quickly. The reason Von got called for so many off-sides last year was because he was trying to overcompensate for our archaic coverage schemes.

With all of the disguised looks and match-zone concepts that Fangio deploys QBs are going to have to spend another second or so dissecting the coverage which should lead to more sacks, and throws under pressure.

Comment

• Jonny_Quest
                          Playmaker
                          • Dec 2010

I also think there's a good chance that we're a top 5 defense this year.

We have incredible depth and talent on the defensive side of the ball. Now that we have a coach that demands accountability, and runs some of the most advanced schemes, we should be back to the level of defense we're accustomed to.

I also expect Chicago to regress on the defensive side of the ball this year now that Fangio is gone.

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
                            I also think there's a good chance that we're a top 5 defense this year.

We have incredible depth and talent on the defensive side of the ball. Now that we have a coach that demands accountability, and runs some of the most advanced schemes, we should be back to the level of defense we're accustomed to.

I also expect Chicago to regress on the defensive side of the ball this year now that Fangio is gone.

I agree with you 100 % !!

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                              Super Moderator
                              • Dec 2008

The No Fly Zone is dead. It was a historically good D, but much like the other historically great D's the nickname is in reference to a period in time, not a catchall for all Broncos defenses.

Add to that from everything I've read the D is much more about 6-7 guys defending rather than just the DBs.

Comment

Working...
                              X