Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The "I Like What Elway Just Did" Thread

Some if you know where I stand on John Elway. Without a lengthy summary, my allegiance has been the result of his hugely successful years as our GM.....for me, the most successful GM since he signed up. I love the fact he works tirelessly to make this team a winner, and likely for many years to come. His football IQ and business savvy have served him well in the job.

This thread will hopefully be a great place to discuss, not only about the past, but continuing through the offseason, regular season.....oh yes, deep into the playoffs. This could be a fluid thread...following the ebbs and flows of this organization

So to get this started, here are some points I feel noteworthy since we won The Lombardi:
    - I knew we were going to lose a handful of players or more, and some of them I will miss a whole lot! But that's life in the success lane, in a cap defined business. Sometimes you have to pick your poison, or more positively, seek the best overall return on your investments. It's not a job for the meek or the less informed. It is hugely complex, and requiring skill sets that few can imagine.
    - Losing Brock, our likely starter for years to come, was difficult...BUT it was the right decision, given we offered him a great contract, and he got seriously overpaid by a team that apparently (correct me if I am wrong) did not even meet with him before the agreement was reached. Brock took the money and ran, and good for him. He is a rich young man, and he is "the guy" in Houston.
    - I like the offseason signings on our part.....nothing crazy given we were not going to be in a FA frenzy. Looks like a strengthened Oline, Von in a good position for a long term contract, CJ back in the fold, and some decent depth signings. Depth is a big deal in this league.
    - I like the Clady trade. It saves us some coin, and gets us a 5th rounder which we could end up packaging in the draft, if needed. I like Ryan, and I hope he does well. He will always be remembered as an elite LT, when he was able.

Which brings us to the QB situation. Clearly this is one that most of us are watching closely. QB driven league right? I know Elway has put in a lot of hours on this topic. Hey, if anyone knows QBing and the importance, he does. Signing Sanchez is fine by me, as a backup. Not too expensive. He could be a good asset. His attitude has been great!

Which leads me to.....I am convinced I will be ok with whoever else we add to the QB stable. Whether it's a proven vet, or via the draft. Elway's so cool, so it is hard to read his intentions. He certainly is not showing any signs of panic, and is doing his due diligence in terms of negotiations. As an Elway supporter, I trust his QB plan. If we don't acquire Kaep, Fitz, McCarron, McCown or whoever, I do expect him to make a play for Lynch. That might be costly, in terms of trading up, so it is not my preferred choice. But if it comes to that, I'm good. His stock is rising. He may be better than Brock in a short period of time.

And if we acquire a vet, I have a strong feeling we will go for a Prescott or someone beyond the top 3 QBs in the draft. That gives us more power with our initial draft picks...to go BPA or trade back for more assets.

So yes, I may trust Elway too much, and I may not critique him enough, but I haven't had to, and he is upholding his side of our little ledger.....making my team successful and bringing home the trophy.

Lets have fun with this!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Some if you know where I stand on John Elway. Without a lengthy summary, my allegiance has been the result of his hugely successful years as our GM.....for me, the most successful GM since he signed up. I love the fact he works tirelessly to make this team a winner, and likely for many years to come. His football IQ and business savvy have served him well in the job.

This thread will hopefully be a great place to discuss, not only about the past, but continuing through the offseason, regular season.....oh yes, deep into the playoffs. This could be a fluid thread...following the ebbs and flows of this organization

So to get this started, here are some points I feel noteworthy since we won The Lombardi:
    - I knew we were going to lose a handful of players or more, and some of them I will miss a whole lot! But that's life in the success lane, in a cap defined business. Sometimes you have to pick your poison, or more positively, seek the best overall return on your investments. It's not a job for the meek or the less informed. It is hugely complex, and requiring skill sets that few can imagine.
    - Losing Brock, our likely starter for years to come, was difficult...BUT it was the right decision, given we offered him a great contract, and he got seriously overpaid by a team that apparently (correct me if I am wrong) did not even meet with him before the agreement was reached. Brock took the money and ran, and good for him. He is a rich young man, and he is "the guy" in Houston.
    - I like the offseason signings on our part.....nothing crazy given we were not going to be in a FA frenzy. Looks like a strengthened Oline, Von in a good position for a long term contract, CJ back in the fold, and some decent depth signings. Depth is a big deal in this league.
    - I like the Clady trade. It saves us some coin, and gets us a 5th rounder which we could end up packaging in the draft, if needed. I like Ryan, and I hope he does well. He will always be remembered as an elite LT, when he was able.

Which brings us to the QB situation. Clearly this is one that most of us are watching closely. QB driven league right? I know Elway has put in a lot of hours on this topic. Hey, if anyone knows QBing and the importance, he does. Signing Sanchez is fine by me, as a backup. Not too expensive. He could be a good asset. His attitude has been great!

Which leads me to.....I am convinced I will be ok with whoever else we add to the QB stable. Whether it's a proven vet, or via the draft. Elway's so cool, so it is hard to read his intentions. He certainly is not showing any signs of panic, and is doing his due diligence in terms of negotiations. As an Elway supporter, I trust his QB plan. If we don't acquire Kaep, Fitz, McCarron, McCown or whoever, I do expect him to make a play for Lynch. That might be costly, in terms of trading up, so it is not my preferred choice. But if it comes to that, I'm good. His stock is rising. He may be better than Brock in a short period of time.

And if we acquire a vet, I have a strong feeling we will go for a Prescott or someone beyond the top 3 QBs in the draft. That gives us more power with our initial draft picks...to go BPA or trade back for more assets.

So yes, I may trust Elway too much, and I may not critique him enough, but I haven't had to, and he is upholding his side of our little ledger.....making my team successful and bringing home the trophy.

Lets have fun with this!
    Elway just saw a team he built win a Superbowl with one of the worst performances from the QB position.
    To turn around and over pay a guy in Brock that I believe Elway really did liked ( used a 2nd rd pick on him) wouldn't have made any sense. He just saw what a strong defense was capable of and he saw what the best offense in NFL history could produce. I don't blame him for choosing to invest in the teams best player Von, and trusting he can add more players like Malik ( former 5th rd pick), and Danny T (6th rd pick) with his 10 picks. I think he also believes Todd Davis, Corey Nelson, Vance Walker, and Kenny Anunike can step up in a proven defense.

Broncos will have $81 million in cap space in 2017 most cap room in the NFL, Elway has built our team with the future in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Broncos will have $81 million in cap space in 2017 most cap room in the NFL, Elway has built our team with the future in mind.
    Winning "from now on." One of the best lines EVER!!!
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Really? That is a ton of cash!! Even if it is expected to be less after signings, etc.....we may be a real force in Free Agency/Trades come next post season.

I LOVE OLE' #7!!! In my eye's he can do no wrong!!! I have idolized him going on 30 years now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
    I LOVE OLE' #7!!! In my eye's he can do no wrong!!! I have idolized him going on 30 years now!!!!

Me too! Been a great investment being a bronco fan, it has given me some of the best moments in my life. Not suprised Elway is saving our team again as a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post

I've been a fan for almost 30 years myself. My first clear memory of Johnny Ballgame was "The Drive." I don't know if any one person has meant more to a franchise than Elway has to the Broncos. Go Duke! Go Broncos!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post

Lets have fun with this!
    I know its popular to rag on John for some things, particularly the QB situation.

But I look at it this way. In his time as GM, we have won the division every year. Went to the Big Dance twice, and walked away with a Lombardi just a few months ago.

Bottom line..pretty danged hard to critique that kind of success.

And to think we won the division and playoff games in two season where our QB play was pretty abysmal. Tebow in 2010/11 and Manning 2015/16. If we produce better than what Manning was able to do last year I think we have a good shot at going 6 in a row in the AFCW.
    2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

This is true.... I like what Elway is doing.

I support Elway too

Every move is a risk

They turned out pretty good in the past.

I think most of his moves, if not all, will be looked at a year from now as good moves.

The sexy moves do not always end up being the best ones. Ask Miami about Suh.

It does not have to be sexy in March or April long as we winning the div five years running and putting ourselves in a spot to be a contender year in and year out come Jan.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

I love all of his FA moves so far. The more i read about Crick the more excited i am to see what he can do with Miller and Ware and Wolfe.

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Maybe I am a dreamer, but when I think of Elway, I think of people in my own life, who always seem to find a way, or make the best of every situation. And within those confines, even when their choice is not the choice I prefer, it seems to end up very well. I'm old fashioned I guess, but I put a lot of stock in loyalty to those who have earned it.