Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

HC Vic Fangio swaps final practice of minicamp for team field day

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The 90 men on the Broncos’ roster entered the team meeting room on Thursday expecting to learn the schedule for their final minicamp practice.

Instead, Head Coach Vic Fangio alerted the team that the Broncos would forego their final on-field session for a field day.

“I was shocked,” cornerback Chris Harris Jr. said. “I was ready to come to work for sure and continue working. But this is something that we need, just to build that connection with everybody and have fun together.”

For nearly three hours on Thursday morning, the Broncos split up into 12 teams to compete in events that included a football toss, home-run derby, basketball shootout and chipping competition.

The Broncos also got the chance to dunk several team employees, including President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway.

“I can’t remember the last time we did something like this here, but it’s fun,” Harris said. “It’s something that will just help to build the team together. It’s still competitive — you still want to win — but it’s just fun to build that connection.”

After an offseason program that pushed the team to improve after back-to-back losing campaigns, the players seemed to enjoy a slight break before the summer.

“It was really cool because we’ve been working our butts off,” wide receiver Courtland Sutton said. “There’s always work to do, but working smart and making sure everyone stays healthy to come back in training camp, I’m pretty sure that’s something they were thinking about.

“We got a lot of really good work and a lot of really good stuff on film, and I think the coaches are happy with where we are and excited to get into regular training camp.”
    https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/h...team-field-day

Who dunked Elway???

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    Who dunked Elway???
    Looking through the pictures he got dunked a few times, the ones I saw were Brandon McManus and Billy Winn.

Love that Fangio did this. I really think this team is going to be a well prepared and well coached team in 2019. To me that's at least 3 wins that they didn't get last year because of the situation. Today is a good way to get the players to buy-in as well. So happy they hired Vic Fangio.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Looking through the pictures he got dunked a few times, the ones I saw were Brandon McManus and Billy Winn.

Love that Fangio did this. I really think this team is going to be a well prepared and well coached team in 2019. To me that's at least 3 wins that they didn't get last year because of the situation. Today is a good way to get the players to buy-in as well. So happy they hired Vic Fangio.
    Good stuff!
    I like what they are doing.

Cancelled the 3rd day of minicamp? Are you serious? A brand new Coaching Staff, with a lot of new players? Doesn't the NFL: grant extra days of practice for a new coaching staff because they are likely behind the rest of the league?

I certainly hope this doesn't come back and bite Fangio on the keester if they appear unprepared in the 1st game against the little raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Cancelled the 3rd day of minicamp? Are you serious? A brand new Coaching Staff, with a lot of new players? Doesn't the NFL: grant extra days of practice for a new coaching staff because they are likely behind the rest of the league?

I certainly hope this doesn't come back and bite Fangio on the keester if they appear unprepared in the 1st game against the little raiders.
    They did have 2 extra weeks of the offseason program and an extra mini-camp because of the new coaching staff. If one day at the end of mini-camp in June makes any sort of difference than the Broncos ended up with a worse coaching staff.

Oh and this is pretty customary across the NFL, most teams cancel the last day to do a team bonding event. The Broncos under Shanahan and Kubiak did a golf outing. I believe they've also done bowling.

Yes , they take one afternoon in early June and use it to bond with each other and the coaches and FO personnel and that will make it doomsday in September.....
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

They’re probably a couple months away from implement the game plan for the Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    They’re probably a couple months away from implement the game plan for the Raiders.
    All I know is that the New England Patriots practiced today, as the NFL Network "Inside Minicamp Live" covered it. But then again, what the hell do the Patriots know.

All I know is that the New England Patriots practiced today, as the NFL Network "Inside Minicamp Live" covered it. But then again, what the hell do the Patriots know.
    You left out two key parts to that though: 1. they practiced all 3 days of mini-camp because these are the only 3 days of the offseason that Tom Brady has been with the team. 2. Their team bonding event took place this evening at their ring ceremony. Which incidentally Dolphins coach Brian Flores cancelled a day of practice to attend.

By the way, here's an article from 2013 about Belichick cancelling the final day of mini-camp that year, as he had done the year before.

https://www.patriots.com/news/final-...ncelled-189271

Here's one from last year when Belichick cancelled the final TWO days of OTAs.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...-training-camp

So far today 3 teams cancelled the final practice of mini-camp. And with the majority of NFL mini-camps taking place next week, you can expect to see that number increase quite a bit.

Lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Lighten up.
    If we go 5-11 again this season, maybe we can review this thread at the end of the year.

If we go 5-11 again this season, maybe we can review this thread at the end of the year.
    If Denver goes 11-5 we can for sure revisit this post !

Whatever rows your boat.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Whatever Denver's record is will have little to nothing to do with what happened yesterday.