NFL teams ranked by their franchise QBs (NFL.com)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DevilSpawn
    versus you
    • Mar 2006

NFL teams ranked by their franchise QBs (NFL.com)

It's the offseason so here's a list of teams ranked by the franchise QBs during their history.

After a grueling deep dive into each NFL team's history to identify their franchise QBs of the common-draft era, there's only one reasonable thing left to do: rank 'em! As a reminder, only pro quarterbacks who started at least 48 games with a team since 1967 were eligible for consideration. Each passer who met that minimum threshold also needed to satisfy two of the following three requirements:

1) Winning regular-season record.
    2) Minimum passer rating of 75.0.
    3) At least one Pro Bowl selection.

And just so we're all operating under the same parameters, note that Pro Bowl totals below include AFL All-Star Game selections, while Super Bowl ring totals only include titles won as the team's starting quarterback.

Enough with the rules. Let's go!
    For the regular or semi-regular smackers here:

Bears were 31st... no surprise as they're know for their defense and Sweetness. The article was written by a Bears fan.

Chargers were 10th, Raiders were 7th, Patriots were 6th, Broncos were 5th.

Raiders surprisingly had the most number of QBs that fit the criteria. (6)

The Packers would've been #1 if Bart Starr was eligible.

Do you agree with the list or at the very least do you agree with the Top 10?
  • EddieMac
    Canuck Mod, eh!
    • Feb 2004

I actually thought it was well thought out.., ya it’s smack so I thought the pats were too high...only one Super Bowl QB...and he’s a confirmed cheater

And the raiders do have a very good qb history, , , as well as the cowboys,,

Can’t beat Montana/young combo in San Fran...
    Last edited by EddieMac; 06-10-2019, 06:38 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Sam_Z
      Banned User
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
      I actually thought it was well thought out.., ya it’s smack so I thought the pats were too high...only one Super Bowl QB...and he’s a confirmed cheater

And the raiders do have a very good qb history, , , as well as the cowboys,,

Can’t beat Montana/young combo in San Fran...
      Aside from New England I think the list is pretty accurate. It’s hard to beat the cowgirls as well and mainly because of Aikman and Staubach but that’s ok because those guys were legends.

I’m in no way a Dallas fan but I’m a fan of great players.

Peyton Manning (2012-15): 57 starts | 45-12 | 3 Pro Bowls | 101.7 passer rating | 1 MVP | 1 SB ring
      -- Jake Plummer (2003-06): 54 starts | 39-15 | 1 Pro Bowl | 84.3 passer rating
      -- Brian Griese (1998-2002): 51 starts | 26-24 | 1 Pro Bowl | 84.1 passer rating
      -- John Elway (1983-1998): 231 starts | 148-82-1 | 9 Pro Bowls | 79.9 passer rating | 1 MVP | 2 SB rings
      -- Craig Morton (1977-1982): 64 starts | 41-23 | 0 Pro Bowls | 79.1 passer rating
      Looking at that list, it’s hard to ignore the numbers Griese put up.

He was a very bright QB, however he didn’t seem to have much physical talent. I’ve always said had he had Plummers athleticism he would’ve been great.

Anyway witn the additions of Flacco and Lock I’m expecting Denver to catapult to the top of that list while Planet ass falls down significantly!

Comment

• 58Miller
        Football Immortal
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
        Aside from New England I think the list is pretty accurate. It’s hard to beat the cowgirls as well and mainly because of Aikman and Staubach but that’s ok because those guys were legends.

I’m in no way a Dallas fan but I’m a fan of great players.

Looking at that list, it’s hard to ignore the numbers Griese put up.

He was a very bright QB, however he didn’t seem to have much physical talent. I’ve always said had he had Plummers athleticism he would’ve been great.

Anyway witn the additions of Flacco and Lock I’m expecting Denver to catapult to the top of that list while Planet ass falls down significantly!
        It’s easy to ignore Griese’s numbers for me. He did nothing in the postseason.
        Elway won 5 conference titles and back to back Superbowls.

Peyton 2 conference titles and a Super-bowl

Plummer ended the Patriots three peat bid in 2005 postseason.

Griese was your typical put up nice numbers once guy ( Scott Mitchell, Matt Flynn, Case Keenum)

What I remember best about Griese is his dog tripping story.
        Last edited by 58Miller; 06-11-2019, 06:32 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Sam_Z
          Banned User
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
          It’s easy to ignore Griese’s numbers for me. He did nothing in the postseason.
          Elway won 5 conference titles and back to back Superbowls.

Peyton 2 conference titles and a Super-bowl

Plummer ended the Patriots three peat bid in 2005 postseason.

Griese was your typical put up nice numbers once guy ( Scott Mitchell, Matt Flynn, Case Keenum)

What I remember best about Griese is his dog tripping story.
          I’m by no means over praising his efforts lol it was his INT that basically sent TD into early retirement however had he had more athleticism I think he would had been a far better QB.

I wouldnt put him in the same category as case Keesum because he at least had a winning record under Shanahan and Of course that was all Shanahan and Portis however with exception to 2012, Shanahan didn't have a winning record in Washington.

Comment

• arapaho
            reserved for losing bet
            • Mar 2004

I’m by no means over praising his efforts lol it was his INT that basically sent TD into early retirement however had he had more athleticism I think he would had been a far better QB.

I wouldnt put him in the same category as case Keesum because he at least had a winning record under Shanahan and Of course that was all Shanahan and Portis however with exception to 2012, Shanahan didn't have a winning record in Washington.

I always thought griese could have become a legite qb, but he and Elway were two complete opposites, Elway the mobile, big armed qb who could avoid the rush, move out of the pocket, an griese a typical pocket sloth qb, accurate but a pocket qb

with the broncos then forcing the square peg of Griese into the offense designed for the round peg after elway retired
            sigpic
            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• 58Miller
              Football Immortal
              • Jul 2013

Keenum did win a playoff game, guess it depends on what impresses a person. Griese went 4-9 his first year ( surrounded by a back to back Super Bowl wining roster and coach) then put up nice numbers against a last place schedule.
              I think of Griese the same as Ferotte, Cuter, and Orton.
              Last edited by 58Miller; 06-11-2019, 08:57 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• arapaho
                reserved for losing bet
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                Keenum did win a playoff game, guess it depends on what impresses a person. Griese went 4-9 his first year ( surrounded by a back to back Super Bowl wining roster and coach) then put up nice numbers against a last place schedule.
                I think of Griese the same as Ferotte, Cuter, and Orton.
                grieses first year was ALSO in the year we lost a NFL MVP 2000 yard RB with 21 rushing tds in his forth game
                where we went from 2468 rushing team yards, 26 rushing tds and 154.2 YPG in 1998
                to
                1864 13 tds, 116.5 YPG
                sigpic
                when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• 58Miller
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                  grieses first year was ALSO in the year we lost a NFL MVP 2000 yard RB with 21 rushing tds in his forth game
                  where we went from 2468 rushing team yards, 26 rushing tds and 154.2 YPG in 1998
                  to
                  1864 13 tds, 116.5 YPG
                  Very true, Griese threw a pick and TD injured on the tackle. Losing a MVP offensive weapon.

Also trie Denver with TD was 0-4 when he went down.
                  TD was having a tough time cause teams were filling the box because they didn’t respect Griese beating them.

TD through 4 games that year 211 yards in 67 carries (3.1 yac) 2 tds

His replacement had a good year:
                  Olandis Gary filled in for him with 1,159 yds and 7 tds in 12 games.
                  Last edited by 58Miller; 06-11-2019, 09:50 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• bears6385
                    Bench Warmer
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                    It's the offseason so here's a list of teams ranked by the franchise QBs during their history.

For the regular or semi-regular smackers here:

Bears were 31st... no surprise as they're know for their defense and Sweetness. The article was written by a Bears fan.

Chargers were 10th, Raiders were 7th, Patriots were 6th, Broncos were 5th.

Raiders surprisingly had the most number of QBs that fit the criteria. (6)

The Packers would've been #1 if Bart Starr was eligible.

Do you agree with the list or at the very least do you agree with the Top 10?
                    I totally agree with where the Bears are ranked. For a franchise that could bring in some of the greatest RB's in NFL history, we were just inept at finding a QB to go along with them. Closest we came was Payton/McMahon.

With Trubisky though I think this may change.
                    Last edited by bears6385; 06-14-2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                      Banned User
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by bears6385 View Post
                      I totally agree with where the Bears are ranked. For a franchise that could bring in some of the greatest RB's in NFL history, we were just inept at finding a QB to go along with them. Closest we came was Payton/McMahon.

With Trubisky though I think this may change.
                      I understand your desire for a top rusher first and foremost however I’m still waiting to see Coach Shanahan Senior hired to coach a team with a top 8 QB.

When that happens look out!

Just something to think about!

Comment

• bears6385
                        Bench Warmer
                        • Jul 2007

I understand your desire for a top rusher first and foremost however I’m still waiting to see Coach Shanahan Senior hired to coach a team with a top 8 QB.

When that happens look out!

Just something to think about!
                        Hopefully Nagy will bring that out in Trubisky. In year two of Nagy's offense and Mitch takes the next step, then the sky's the limit for this team.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                          Banned User
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by bears6385 View Post
                          Hopefully Nagy will bring that out in Trubisky. In year two of Nagy's offense and Mitch takes the next step, then the sky's the limit for this team.
                          I’m actually pretty excited to see how the bears fare In the next couple of seasons. The NFC needs a true consistent powerhouse.

However with Kubiak in Minnesota with Kirk Cousins and that offensive line, it just may spell some huge headaches for their opponents the next few seasons.
                          Last edited by Sam_Z; 07-06-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• bears6385
                            Bench Warmer
                            • Jul 2007

I’m actually pretty excited to see how the bears fare In the next couple of seasons. The NFC needs a true consistent powerhouse.

However with Kubiak in Minnesota with Kirk Cousins and that offensive line, it just may spell some huge headaches for their opponents the next few seasons.
                            I don't take the Vikings lightly but Cousins still has a lot to prove. In his career 4-25 against teams with winning records while going to the playoffs just once. He has to own that record, improve on it to earn that huge contract Minny gave him.

Comment

Working...
                            X