Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Justin Hollins

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ross-on-Wye, UK
    Posts
    432

    Justin Hollins

    Do we know if he is going to play outside or inside yet? Or a combination?
    Denver Broncos Fan from UK

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,087
    It would seem he spent OTAs and minicamp getting reps at both positions as well as special teams. Too early to say whether he will be more ILB or OLB going forward.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,153
    Hard to say at this point. It is way too early to know. I am hoping he can seriously compete at ILB, he has the size to be a force there, possibly in coverage too. I suspect nobody will know for sure until mid-season or even next season. I think this is an experiment at this point, I hope it works out for him and the Broncos.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ross-on-Wye, UK
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Hard to say at this point. It is way too early to know. I am hoping he can seriously compete at ILB, he has the size to be a force there, possibly in coverage too. I suspect nobody will know for sure until mid-season or even next season. I think this is an experiment at this point, I hope it works out for him and the Broncos.
    Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I was hoping we would draft an ILB, as I think we need an upgrade there, but I watched some highlights of him at MLB and thought he could develop into a good player for us there.
    Denver Broncos Fan from UK

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,821
    Here's a pretty good article about him:

    https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/...cos-draft-pick

    Here's a relevant quote to your OP from the article:

    All reports out of Dove Valley so far have pointed to him learning to play both the inside and outside linebacker positions in Vic Fangio’s defense.

    It’s a credit to the type of kid he is,” Defensive Coordinator Ed Donatell said after Saturday’s practice. “You usually don’t do that with a young player. He had a really good background, similar background with the defense he played in college. [Outside Linebackers Coach] Brandon Staley came to us with the idea. He thought he could get it done. He’s done a great job getting him ready. It’s been some productive days to see him and just get an idea how he can possibly help our defense at a couple positions.

    Here are some highlights of the article:

    Dynamic edge rusher






    Comfortable in space





    Where does he need to improve?

    There is little doubt that Hollins still needs to grow to reach his potential in the Broncos defense. As I previously mentioned, his pass rush moves are still a bit rudimentary; he could stand to get better with his hands, specifically. It would help him to add more muscle to his long frame as he does have some issues with power. In this way he’s similar to Von was when he came out of Texas A&M. He’s a raw speed rusher who has the potential to grow into a far more complete edge rusher.

    If Hollins is to carve out a significant role as an off ball backer in the Fangio scheme he’ll need to continue to prove he’s capable against play action and the more advanced routes that are run in the National Football League. There has been some concern over his ability to bend due to his 6’5” frame, but this doesn’t sound like a major concern to Coach Donatell.

    He has the bend and he’s versatile and he picks things up so fast that we can take on that task with him,” Donatell said.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ross-on-Wye, UK
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Here's a pretty good article about him:

    https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/...cos-draft-pick

    Here's a relevant quote to your OP from the article:

    All reports out of Dove Valley so far have pointed to him learning to play both the inside and outside linebacker positions in Vic Fangio’s defense.

    It’s a credit to the type of kid he is,” Defensive Coordinator Ed Donatell said after Saturday’s practice. “You usually don’t do that with a young player. He had a really good background, similar background with the defense he played in college. [Outside Linebackers Coach] Brandon Staley came to us with the idea. He thought he could get it done. He’s done a great job getting him ready. It’s been some productive days to see him and just get an idea how he can possibly help our defense at a couple positions.

    Here are some highlights of the article:

    Dynamic edge rusher






    Comfortable in space





    Where does he need to improve?

    There is little doubt that Hollins still needs to grow to reach his potential in the Broncos defense. As I previously mentioned, his pass rush moves are still a bit rudimentary; he could stand to get better with his hands, specifically. It would help him to add more muscle to his long frame as he does have some issues with power. In this way he’s similar to Von was when he came out of Texas A&M. He’s a raw speed rusher who has the potential to grow into a far more complete edge rusher.

    If Hollins is to carve out a significant role as an off ball backer in the Fangio scheme he’ll need to continue to prove he’s capable against play action and the more advanced routes that are run in the National Football League. There has been some concern over his ability to bend due to his 6’5” frame, but this doesn’t sound like a major concern to Coach Donatell.

    He has the bend and he’s versatile and he picks things up so fast that we can take on that task with him,” Donatell said.
    Thanks for taking the time, really appreciate that..

    I am really excited about him. I think he could be a star in the future. Much prefer this pick than most our LBs (not named Chubb) in last 4/5 years.
    Denver Broncos Fan from UK

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    4,103
    He's a 5th Round Pick. The first thing I want him to do is make the team. After that, I'm assuming he will be an OLB, with a focus on Special Teams.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    He's a 5th Round Pick. The first thing I want him to do is make the team. After that, I'm assuming he will be an OLB, with a focus on Special Teams.
    I think it's a safe bet Hollins made the team since he's getting looks at both OLB/ILB.

    If, Denver keeps four at OLB and ILB.

    OLB: Chubb, Miller, Hollins, Holland/Reed
    ILB: Davis, Jewell, Bierria, Jones

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •