2019 Predictions: Surprise Teams and Regression Teams

We've learned that this is the "Not For Long" league. There are always surprise playoff teams, and teams that don't live up to the hype.

Thought it might be fun to predict which teams people think will surprise this year, and which will regress.

Surprise Teams:
    1. Denver
    We lost 6 games last year by a total of 23 points. We were poorly coached. We have a sneaky strong roster. We've hired a coaching staff that focuses on teaching, details, and is headed by a master planner. I think we surprise the league this year, despite our brutal schedule.

2. 49ers
    Garappolo comes back strong. Bosa adds a lot of pop to the pass rush. The depth of the roster starts to flex.

Regression Teams:
    1. Bears
    Trubisky will get shakier now that defenses are getting more tape on him. I also expect their defense to regress after losing Fangio and Callahan. I think Pagano will get far less out of that defense. The pain of losing multiple first rounders will show a bit this year. Much more so the next two years.

2. Chiefs
    Mahomes will still be a phenom, but a phenom that top defenses start learning to solve for. I also think their defense stays in the cellar. My prediction is that they drop to 10 wins this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    We've learned that this is the "Not For Long" league. There are always surprise playoff teams, and teams that don't live up to the hype.

Thought it might be fun to predict which teams people think will surprise this year, and which will regress.

Surprise Teams:
    1. Denver
    We lost 6 games last year by a total of 23 points. We were poorly coached. We have a sneaky strong roster. We've hired a coaching staff that focuses on teaching, details, and is headed by a master planner. I think we surprise the league this year, despite our brutal schedule.

2. 49ers
    Garappolo comes back strong. Bosa adds a lot of pop to the pass rush. The depth of the roster starts to flex.

Regression Teams:
    1. Bears
    Trubisky will get shakier now that defenses are getting more tape on him. I also expect their defense to regress after losing Fangio and Callahan. I think Pagano will get far less out of that defense. The pain of losing multiple first rounders will show a bit this year. Much more so the next two years.

2. Chiefs
    Mahomes will still be a phenom, but a phenom that top defenses start learning to solve for. I also think their defense stays in the cellar. My prediction is that they drop to 10 wins this season.
    i don't think pagano ishuge down grade from Fangio. he is still a really good DC and the personal fits his style. plus this is the best set of personal he has had sense maybe the ravens. he should be able to shine. the real scare for me with that team is a receiving core and help around trubisky.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Agree with the Bronco optimism. Made solid structural moves with coaching and player additions. Defense should be top 5 and Flacco adds the offensive leadership they have desperately needed. Think they can win 10 or 11 games.

Also think you are right about KC. They drop off to be in a battle for the AFC West with the Broncos. Mahomes will be missing some weapons this season. Depending on how the Hill situation resolved they can be in that same 10-11 win range playing their first place schedule.

Think the Chargers struggle this year. Go 8-8 or worse.

Not sure if considered surprise teams or not. But think both Browns and Jets made enough moves to be competitive for playoff spots.

Think Ravens regress. Under .500. Lost too many leaders on both sides of the ball.

Texans will be interesting. Can they repeat last yearís success? Think the Colts pass them for division but still enough defense to be in the Wild Card hunt.

Canít wait for the season to start!

Sleeper: Vikings
    Deep sleeper: Buccaneers (and Broncos, of course)
    Expect to Bust: Ravens
    Potential Bust: Rams

Surprise Bust - Seahawks (not buying DK metcalf. They only have Lockett really. Weak offensive roster. Defense is shell of its former self.

Surprise Bust - KC - People gonna expect the world, but I don't see them going deep this year despite the uber talented mahomes.

Surprise Overachiever - Denver - Obvious reasons.

Surprise Overachiever - Cardinals - I think they perform better than the Seahawks.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

Ok here are my predictions :

1. Cleveland Browns makes the Playoffs ( Lose to Denver LOL )
    2. Jets are in
    3. Colts are in
    4. Denver is in and that is all we need a chance to be in it to win it all
    5. NE finally comes unglued after 25 years of dominance
    6. The Ravens will be lost with out a real QB lol
    7. The Cardinals will be a little better than last year however that is not saying much
    8. The Dolphins will be a Train Wreck
    9. The Minnesota Fans will begin a Riot because of how Jaded they Feel with paying Kirk all that Cash and No Playoffs lol
    10. Denver will win the Super Bowl !
    Last edited by DENVERSB50CHAMP; 06-24-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Ok here are my predictions :

1. Cleveland Browns makes the Playoffs ( Lose to Denver LOL )
    2. Jets are in
    3. Colts are in
    4. Denver is in and that is all we need a chance to be in it to win it all
    5. NE finally comes unglued after 25 years of dominance
    6. The Ravens will be lost with out a real QB lol
    7. The Cardinals will be a little better than last year however that is not saying much
    8. The Dolphins will be a Train Wreck
    9. The Minnesota Fans will begin a Riot because of how Jaded they Feel with paying Kirk all that Cash and No Playoffs lol
    10. Denver will win the Super Bowl !
    I was about to make the same Patriots prediction but just canít count them out even though you know itís coming.

Like a cockroach that just wont die after multiple times under your shoe.

Will this be the year that Brady falters? Sadly even if he did Hoyer would likely have a career year.

My surprise or even say overlooked teams are...

1. Broncos of course - this team should be greatly improved over last season with better coaching & even stronger defense..let us not forget that they were sitting at 6-6 coming off a 3 game win streak when both sanders & chris harris went down before the next game & that was the nail in the coffin.

2. Jaguars - they will still have a strong defense as well & now to go along with fornette, they actually have a QB in nick foles...i think they can win that division.

Teams that i think are either over-hyped or going to fall back in the back...

1. Chiefs - too much turmoil there with hill likely not playing & way too much change on defense, not to mention mahomes will not match last season

2. Stealers - everyone seems to think they are done with all the drama of brown & bell & things will be all peachy & they will go on winning in the nice new environment...that's all fine & dandy except you don't just magical replace that kind of production & ju ju is gonna get double up a lot, so where is ben throwing? also that defense is not very good.

3. Chargers - not much to say here other than for maybe the 10th time they are "most talented" team in the nfl & are your paper champions yet again...

honorable mention...

Patriots - don't count on it happening but also don't be shocked if they don't win that division this year & end up fighting for a wildcard at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsam View Post
    Surprise Bust - Seahawks (not buying DK metcalf. They only have Lockett really. Weak offensive roster. Defense is shell of its former self.
    Your assessment sounds more like "I hope that this happens because I hate Seattle" than "I reasonably expect this to happen".

Seattle led the league in rushing last year and will likely do so again this year. On defense, they have the best LB corps in the league with perennial All Pro Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright and Mychal Kendricks. Their d-line is adequate and their young secondary is developing nicely. They're not the same defense that led the league in scoring for four consecutive years but they're likely on the fringe of being in the top ten. Last year they finished 11th in scoring. So the state of the franchise is not as bleak as you paint the picture.
    "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

The Good--

Broncos-->
    I think we could've won some games last year with better coaching and better qb play. We have addressed the coaches nicely. The QB, we will see, but I think he will do better then CK, and I have hopes that he will do decent in the new offense which should fit him better. Hopefully, he can also cut down on mistakes.Just those alone would go a long way. But, to add to it, our players last year should be better this year with more experience, we added some good players and I think our OL will be improved. I am very eager to see them in the new system. I also think our D will be much improved too, Just the change in coaches and preparation and hopefully knowing where each other should be will help.Our secondary should be improved and I think our Dline will too.

The Browns-->
    I think they have been acquiring talent and experience for their young guys and are poised to take a big step forward. The coaching change should go a long way in improving them and I expect Mayfield to be much better with these coaches. I think both O and D will make nice steps this year. Couple that with the fact that I think both the Ravens and Steelers will take a slide(spoiler alert) and that I am not expecting a whole bunch out of the Bengals with Zac Taylor who has had very limited time as an OC and has been promoted to head coach with the Owner/GM situation there, and I foresee Very good things for the Browns.

The Bad--

The Steelers-->
    They lost 2 of their very top level players and best non qb weapons on offense. That is not easily replaceable. While they may enjoy the locker room change, Ben lost 2 of his biggest weapons. Ju Ju showed up last year, but with Brown gone, he will likely get all the attention now. I do not expect him to do so well this year. I also don't think they will do as well rushing the ball this year cause it will be more of a focus for teams. They still have Ben on O, but he certainly doesn't have as many top weapons on O any more and with all the drama from last year added to it, I am not expecting it to be a great year for them.

The Ugly--

The Ravens-->

I think they used Jackson as a way to get rid of Flacco and I think it was very premature. Jackson did a great job running the ball and became an extra runner on the field which helped them make the playoffs. But he had problems throwing the ball throughout. This year teams will adjust and I don't think his feet will do it. We will see, but I expect teams to go full out against the run and try to contain him and make him beat them with his arm and I don't expect a good result for the Ravens. Behind him they have RG3 and Trace McSorley. I believe this could get very ugly.
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_Quest View Post

Surprise Teams:
    1. Denver

2. 49ers

Regression Teams:
    1. Bears

2. Chiefs
    agree 100% with your Chief analysis.

They will regress but still make the playoffs.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die