Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bowlen family not getting a real ring, jacket for Hall of Fame.

Sad... Just sad. Why would you not give the family the real thing? Do you really think the family, probably the richest family in Colorado, is going to pawn off the ring? Even if they did, does it matter? What do you think happens to old players once they die? I would venture to say that most families would sell any Super Bowl or Hall of Fame rings to the highest bidder.

This isn't the only time this has happened either. It has happened with other players who get inducted but are no longer living. It's outright disrespectful if you ask me.

Pathetic!! Honor the man properly!!

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Not to defend them but it is standard policy, they only give the rings and jackets to living members.

It's a bad rule and the Hall of Fame should immediately consider changing it. PFT actually had an article up about this just after Mr Bowlen passed away, wondering if they'd give the family those things because of the unique circumstances. Usually it's people who are deceased before they're selected to be enshrined, but because Bowlen was selected to be enshrined while alive they wondered if they would then modify the policy? Unfortunately not.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...jacket-policy/

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Not to defend them but it is standard policy, they only give the rings and jackets to living members.

It's a bad rule and the Hall of Fame should immediately consider changing it. PFT actually had an article up about this just after Mr Bowlen passed away, wondering if they'd give the family those things because of the unique circumstances. Usually it's people who are deceased before they're selected to be enshrined, but because Bowlen was selected to be enshrined while alive they wondered if they would then modify the policy? Unfortunately not.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...jacket-policy/
    And it is a crime that Bowlen wasnt elected until this year.

No need to go into the reasons, we all know them. But its just one reason among many that I consider the Hall a complete joke.

I guess the HOF is broke, or just completely lame and cheap.
    (What a disgrace.)
    If they would have put him in when they were supposed to, this would not be the issue at this time.

Not at all happy with the current HOF and the way it does things but give them time to do the right thing before getting offended...unless that is your thing I suppose.

taken from the linked article above

“This is the first time that a Hall of Famer has passed away between election and enshrinement,” Fierle told Klis. “The policy for posthumous enshrinees is being reviewed to clarify the intent and purpose of decisions made in the past.”
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post
    And it is a crime that Bowlen wasnt elected until this year.

No need to go into the reasons, we all know them. But its just one reason among many that I consider the Hall a complete joke.
    Agreed

When one starts to read not only how successful the Broncos were but also how many things Bowlen did to make the NFL successful...it is a crime it took this long to get him into the HoF specially considering it has been known for years his health is declining.

Bottom line is if the candidates are NOT from a handful of teams then getting selected is a super up hill battle.

The HoF voting committee needs an enema. Sadly if they did replace members I got a strong feeling they would put more idiots on the voting committee than people who will make sound value added decisions.

They should give Pat Bowlen his coat and his ring, and the Broncos should put it in a shrine at Mile High Stadium!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    I'd like to know how and why it took this long to make this statement. I wonder if the real reason was the public outcry and negative publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I'd like to know how and why it took this long to make this statement. I wonder if the real reason was the public outcry and negative publicity.
    Being it was the 1st instance of someone passing away between being elected and the ceremony, they didn't know how to proceed. I bet there will be a plan in place going forward if it happens again. But it reminds me of how criminal they were in not putting him in earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Being it was the 1st instance of someone passing away between being elected and the ceremony, they didn't know how to proceed. I bet there will be a plan in place going forward if it happens again. But it reminds me of how criminal they were in not putting him in earlier.
    Regardless of Mr Bowlen passing away, they should be giving out the real deal to everyone or their families....period. These players going into the HOF are the same individuals who made the game as great as it is today. Why does it matter if someone is alive or dead?

I thought this thread had no merit when there was no source cited...

Bowlen family will receive Pat's ring and jacket:
    https://www.9news.com/amp/article/sp...2-7f2f0161f03a

Was just going to update this....

"Pat Bowlen is the first individual to pass away between the time he was elected and formally enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame,'' Fierle said. "The process was underway to create his Hall of Fame Gold Jacket and Hall of Fame Ring of Excellence.

"As previously planned prior to his death, the Gold Jacket and Ring of Excellence will be presented to the Pat Bowlen estate to be displayed in the front lobby of the UC Health Training Center
    And good on Mark Davis for being a big advocate for the family receiving them...and for a permanent change to the policy.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Was just going to update this....

And good on Mark Davis for being a big advocate for the family receiving them...and for a permanent change to the policy.
    yea kudos to Mark Davis and the NFL HoF people for getting this one right.

The decision is not as easy as some people may think because they not only need to consider this situation but also how this may effect future similar situations. Pretty sure when everything was considered it was an obvious choice. Having worked for big corporations for 2 decades I know it takes these large businesses a long time to make a decision a small group will make in less than a day.

Sounds like the public will be able to see the Gold Jacket and Ring. Will have to make another trip back to my home state

Would be really cool to see Mr B's Jacket and Ring on display with Elway's Jacket and Ring