Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hall of Fame expanded Class of 2020

Today the Hall of Fame announced it would expand the number of inductees in the Class of 2020 in honor of the League's centennial. Instead of the normal maximum of eight (five modern, and three seniors/contributors), for 2020 alone, the class will include a maximum of 20. This would include five modern era, ten seniors, three contributors, and two coaches.

We have seen the horrible bias of the Hall of Fame and the Selection Committee for decades. Their formula is stacked in the favor of legacy franchises like Bears, Packers, Cowboys, Giants, and Steelers. I would hate to see this be another excuse to induct more of those same franchises.

Unfortunately for Bronco fans, don't expect the expanded 2020 class to help Broncos legends. The senior category requires the player to have played their final game more than 25 years ago. That means Steve Atwater, Rod Smith, and Tom Nalen are not even eligible in that category. Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright, Karl Mecklenburg, and Lionel Taylor are all worthy of Canton who might benefit from the expanded senior class.

Hopefully this Class of 2020 will rectify some of the injustices of the past against Broncos. I personally would love to Gradishar, Atwater, and Nalen, but I realistically think Gradishar probably is the only one who makes it.

They said they will try to use this to help the backlog of seniors waiting to get in...

We will see..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

If they're putting in two coaches I would hope one of them will be Marty Schottenheimer. He was a fantastic coach with a 200-126-1 (.612) record and the most impressive aspect, in 20.5 seasons only twice did his teams finish with a record below .500. Unfortunately he'll always be remembered for his team's horrible playoff performances, and in several instances just bad luck.

And unfortunately Schottenheimer is in a similar situation to Pat Bowlen, he's been dealing with Alzheimer's disease since 2011. It would be nice if they recognized him before he passes.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    Today the Hall of Fame announced it would expand the number of inductees in the Class of 2020 in honor of the League's centennial. Instead of the normal maximum of eight (five modern, and three seniors/contributors), for 2020 alone, the class will include a maximum of 20. This would include five modern era, ten seniors, three contributors, and two coaches.

We have seen the horrible bias of the Hall of Fame and the Selection Committee for decades. Their formula is stacked in the favor of legacy franchises like Bears, Packers, Cowboys, Giants, and Steelers. I would hate to see this be another excuse to induct more of those same franchises.

Unfortunately for Bronco fans, don't expect the expanded 2020 class to help Broncos legends. The senior category requires the player to have played their final game more than 25 years ago. That means Steve Atwater, Rod Smith, and Tom Nalen are not even eligible in that category. Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright, Karl Mecklenburg, and Lionel Taylor are all worthy of Canton who might benefit from the expanded senior class.

Hopefully this Class of 2020 will rectify some of the injustices of the past against Broncos. I personally would love to Gradishar, Atwater, and Nalen, but I realistically think Gradishar probably is the only one who makes it.
    I'm not sure Smith or Nalen will ever get close to being in the Hall of Fame. Smith played a position with a pretty big backlog, and unfortunately his numbers will likely get lost behind the inflated numbers being put up today in the wide open passing league style that's developed. And realistically if you compare Smith to Hines Ward (a player who was always good but not great and isn't HOF worthy) Smith's numbers don't matchup well.

Nalen's another one who was a great Bronco, but I think his reputation (whether fair or unjust) for some questionable blocks will be remembered more than his 3 All Pro seasons.

Gradishar and Mecklenburg might finally get in with this. And this class should actually help Atwater get in at some point. Unfortunately he probably won't get there in the modern day category, but them clearing up the backlog in the Senior category should help him once he finally graduates to that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    If they're putting in two coaches I would hope one of them will be Marty Schottenheimer. He was a fantastic coach with a 200-126-1 (.612) record and the most impressive aspect, in 20.5 seasons only twice did his teams finish with a record below .500. Unfortunately he'll always be remembered for his team's horrible playoff performances, and in several instances just bad luck.

And unfortunately Schottenheimer is in a similar situation to Pat Bowlen, he's been dealing with Alzheimer's disease since 2011. It would be nice if they recognized him before he passes.
    agreed. I'm a big Marty fan.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    agreed. I'm a big Marty fan.
    Marty was an excellent coach.

I feel bad for Marty and I think he was a good coach and from all I ever heard or read he seemed to be a good man.

I think the coach who has appeared in 9 SB, has 4 SB appearances as a HC and is 1 of only a few to have taken 2 seperate teams to the SB as a HC deserves the nod. I don't know why Reeves is not already in.
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 07-08-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

I'm not sure Smith or Nalen will ever get close to being in the Hall of Fame. Smith played a position with a pretty big backlog, and unfortunately his numbers will likely get lost behind the inflated numbers being put up today in the wide open passing league style that's developed. And realistically if you compare Smith to Hines Ward (a player who was always good but not great and isn't HOF worthy) Smith's numbers don't matchup well.

Nalen's another one who was a great Bronco, but I think his reputation (whether fair or unjust) for some questionable blocks will be remembered more than his 3 All Pro seasons.

Gradishar and Mecklenburg might finally get in with this. And this class should actually help Atwater get in at some point. Unfortunately he probably won't get there in the modern day category, but them clearing up the backlog in the Senior category should help him once he finally graduates to that category.
    I would add Lionel Taylor, Rich Jackson, and Tom Jackson as all being worthy for induction as seniors.

Pro Football Hall of Fame, Class of 2020: 25 semifinalists ranked

2) Steve Atwater, safety (Denver Broncos, 1989-1998; New York Jets, 1999): I hate to keep harping on this, but if you haven't seen Atwater blow up Christian Okoye on Monday Night Football in 1990, then you haven't seen anything. The hit was akin to Ice Cube taking out Deebo during the climactic scene of Friday. If I'm not mistaken, Okoye was never the same after that.
    That's what I'm talking about!!! One of the greatest to ever play and the closest I personally ever came to being a "fan of one specific player" is finally getting the recognition he's always deserved. If Atwater makes it in for the 2020 class, and he should, it's gonna be one of the best days in my time as a Bronco fan – post-Manning era be damned.

Link to article:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...nalists-ranked
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

From 1995-2006, Nalen’s years as a full time starter, the Broncos led the NFL in rush yards by a wide margin. Every year a new Bronco RB ran for 1200+ yards. The OL has rapid turnover. The only constant was Nalen. If the OL didn’t have their “no talking to the media” policy, Nalen would have more All Pro awards and would probably already be in Canton.

From 1995-2006, Nalen’s years as a full time starter, the Broncos led the NFL in rush yards by a wide margin. Every year a new Bronco RB ran for 1200+ yards. The OL has rapid turnover. The only constant was Nalen. If the OL didn’t have their “no talking to the media” policy, Nalen would have more All Pro awards and would probably already be in Canton.
    Agreed. He deserves to be in.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

That's great, but it's the national media voting on it, and they'll focus more on All Pro selections and such. The reality is he'll likely never get in during a modern day selection. His best chance will be as a senior candidate, since they seem to focus more on the big picture.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/...28-years-later

just watch that video and tell me he shouldn't be in the hall.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/...28-years-later

just watch that video and tell me he shouldn't be in the hall.
    He retired in 2009, he would become HOF eligible in 2014, has he made it to being a Semi Finalist yet? I ask because I don't remember him being so. Whether we believe he should be in the HOF or not, it's clear that the media that votes on who is in the HOF doesn't believe he is worthy.

He retired in 2009, he would become HOF eligible in 2014, has he made it to being a Semi Finalist yet? I ask because I don't remember him being so. Whether we believe he should be in the HOF or not, it's clear that the media that votes on who is in the HOF doesn't believe he is worthy.

Might want to actually check the link.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan