Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    15,829

    so whats the cap number for real

    https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

    has us at ($1,652,341)

    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/ro...enver-broncos/

    has us at $551,286

    and this just popped up

    https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/201...season-week-1/
    after finalizing a 53-man roster and building a 10-man practice squad, the Denver Broncos have $11,188,874 in remaining salary cap space, according to ESPN’s Field Yates. That’s a big jump from last week when Denver had just $1,570,052 in cap space with 90 players on the roster.


    if its true my guess is von restructured

    if you take spotrac restructure tool and apply it to von you get $11,264,619

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,260
    22 mil dead cap seems like a lot

    Guess we should be happy we not the Cards of Giants at 30+ mil or the Fins at 50 mil
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,326
    Hold up....we have $11 million in cap space??? And that carries over to next year?.....
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    8,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Hold up....we have $11 million in cap space??? And that carries over to next year?.....
    And why are we not on the phone trying to fleece Washington...............again

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    15,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Hold up....we have $11 million in cap space??? And that carries over to next year?.....
    That’s what the article said

    Might be full of baloney

    The only way I can see to get that is if Von restructured

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    9
    According to Tom Pelissero on Twitter
    They restructured... Joe Flacco
    Converting 17million to a signing bonus freeing up 13.6 million this year.
    Last edited by RandyNWK; 09-07-2019 at 06:41 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    8,255
    Looks like they restructured Flacco.


    Tom Pelissero
    @TomPelissero
    · 2h
    The #Broncos did a simple restructure on QB Joe Flacco’s contract, converting $17 million of his base salary into a signing bonus and adding two voidable years to clear $13.6M in 2019 cap space. Still due $20.25M in 2020 and $24.25M in 2021.”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,647
    Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Looks like they restructured Flacco.


    Tom Pelissero
    @TomPelissero
    · 2h
    The #Broncos did a simple restructure on QB Joe Flacco’s contract, converting $17 million of his base salary into a signing bonus and adding two voidable years to clear $13.6M in 2019 cap space. Still due $20.25M in 2020 and $24.25M in 2021.”
    This is so we can get our guys that in contract years signed. Simmons,Shelby Harris, parks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,401
    So we took the on major positive of Flacco's contract and eliminated it. Sweet.



    At first glance, I thought this was nothing but good: freeing up cap space for emergencies and a potential player extension. After sitting back and digging into it, I am a little worried.

    The original contract spanned until 2021 previously and was voidable with no repercussions at any point. Flacco was due 18.5m, 20.25m, and 24.25m in base salaries the next 3 years. It was widely assumed that we would be cutting him sooner rather than later as those numbers exceed his individual performance.

    Now we "added two voidable years" with the 17m signing bonus being converted and spread over 5 years.

    The 17m bonus conversion means that a 17m, unavoidable cap hit is spread over 2019, 2020, 21, 22, and 23. Roughly 3.4m per year of extra cap hit.

    So if we cut him after this season it is a ~14m dead hit and if we cut him after 2020 it's a 10m dead hit. If we cut him at age 36, after the 2021 year it is a 7m hit.

    Yikes. He is still due base salaries of 20.25m and 24.25m the next two years, with prorated signing bonus hits of 3.6m now added to both years bringing his cap hits to....

    23.6m in 2020 and 27.6m in 2021 with dead cap charges if we cut him exceeding 10m. So much for having a ton of cap space going forward? This will make it hard to retain guys like Harris Jr, Harris, Simmons, Sanders, ect..

    There is a reason the Ravens wanted out of his contract, I dont know why we are making it harder in ourselves to get out of it and actually increasing his cap hit in all years except 2019.

    2019 Flacco is already the highest paid individual year in team history, and for a player who really has not performed well in recent history, this is crazy.

    What happens if he is again below average this year? We have a choice in the offseason of paying him 24m to stay or 14m to go, whereas prior we could have paid him 20m to stay or 0m to go. Yuck.

    This move could really bite us. I'm sick of having QB dead money every year.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,260
    If we do not use the cap space created I am ok with the deal.

    Essentially what we have done is make so every dollar we spend on the cap space created will be taken away from what we had in future caps.

    If we do not actually spend the money we can roll it over into 2020.

    We did this with Von's contract in order to pay for Case. Sooner or later need to just eat the cap hits.

    Cap thinking like this is why we have 20+ mil in dead cap this year. We make space in order to make desperate moves.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    So we took the on major positive of Flacco's contract and eliminated it. Sweet.



    At first glance, I thought this was nothing but good: freeing up cap space for emergencies and a potential player extension. After sitting back and digging into it, I am a little worried.

    The original contract spanned until 2021 previously and was voidable with no repercussions at any point. Flacco was due 18.5m, 20.25m, and 24.25m in base salaries the next 3 years. It was widely assumed that we would be cutting him sooner rather than later as those numbers exceed his individual performance.

    Now we "added two voidable years" with the 17m signing bonus being converted and spread over 5 years.

    The 17m bonus conversion means that a 17m, unavoidable cap hit is spread over 2019, 2020, 21, 22, and 23. Roughly 3.4m per year of extra cap hit.

    So if we cut him after this season it is a ~14m dead hit and if we cut him after 2020 it's a 10m dead hit. If we cut him at age 36, after the 2021 year it is a 7m hit.

    Yikes. He is still due base salaries of 20.25m and 24.25m the next two years, with prorated signing bonus hits of 3.6m now added to both years bringing his cap hits to....

    23.6m in 2020 and 27.6m in 2021 with dead cap charges if we cut him exceeding 10m. So much for having a ton of cap space going forward? This will make it hard to retain guys like Harris Jr, Harris, Simmons, Sanders, ect..

    There is a reason the Ravens wanted out of his contract, I dont know why we are making it harder in ourselves to get out of it and actually increasing his cap hit in all years except 2019.

    2019 Flacco is already the highest paid individual year in team history, and for a player who really has not performed well in recent history, this is crazy.

    What happens if he is again below average this year? We have a choice in the offseason of paying him 24m to stay or 14m to go, whereas prior we could have paid him 20m to stay or 0m to go. Yuck.

    This move could really bite us. I'm sick of having QB dead money every year.
    Every year people here worry about the cap --needlessly.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,401
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Every year people here worry about the cap --needlessly.
    Really, can't worrying about anything sports-related be considered needless?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Really, can't worrying about anything sports-related be considered needless?


    Truly said, yet you're putting a lot of effort into it nevertheless, even though they (the professionals) work it out year after year despite such fears born of armchair accounting on the fan board. People forget (or don't realize) that there is a cap inflation of approximately $10 million per year that helps us.

    But hey it's a free country so if you wanna go full tilt Chicken Little on this anyway, knock yourself out!
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,260
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Every year people here worry about the cap --needlessly.
    yea paying 20+ mil in dead cap means there been a lot of sound decisions lately that people should not question
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Really, can't worrying about anything sports-related be considered needless?
    worrying about anything other than family, health and ability to support can be considered needless actually...if one is not getting paid for sports than yes...any interactions are essentially just means of self gratification that another can consider meaningless.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •