Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NFL 100 All Time Team Roster

The NFL has started releasing its 100 year anniversary "All Time Team". It seems to me that its more like the "Anyone who played before the year 2000 Team". So far RBs, LBs, DEs and DTs have been named to the team, and so far nobody that started their career before 2000 is on the team. An example of this is why is Earl Campbell on this team instead of LaDanian Tomlinson? Why is Bill Hewitt on this team instead of JJ Watt? Ugh, I digress.

Anyway, I think the only Broncos we might see on this list are John Elway (well and Peyton Manning) and maybe Shannon Sharpe.

I think Atwater and Champ belong on this list too. Who do you guys think should be on the list from the Broncos?

https://www.nfl.com/100/all-time-team/roster

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStampede View Post
    The NFL has started releasing its 100 year anniversary "All Time Team". It seems to me that its more like the "Anyone who played before the year 2000 Team". So far RBs, LBs, DEs and DTs have been named to the team, and so far nobody that started their career before 2000 is on the team. An example of this is why is Earl Campbell on this team instead of LaDanian Tomlinson? Why is Bill Hewitt on this team instead of JJ Watt? Ugh, I digress.

Anyway, I think the only Broncos we might see on this list are John Elway (well and Peyton Manning) and maybe Shannon Sharpe.

I think Atwater and Champ belong on this list too. Who do you guys think should be on the list from the Broncos?

https://www.nfl.com/100/all-time-team/roster
    If Atwater is not in the HOf I doubt the NFL would put him on an all time greats list.

Also not sure why you think LT should be on the list over Dickerson. They have nearly identical production in equal years.

I also dont agree Watt deserves to be on an all time greats list yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStampede View Post
    and so far nobody that started their career before 2000 is on the team.
    It seems to me that everyone that is on the team started his career before 2000. But I know what you meant.

And I think Ed Reed will be part of the DB class, so he at least will represent the post-2000 era of players.
    Last edited by TipRoast; 12-01-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TipRoast View Post
    It seems to me that everyone that is on the team started his career before 2000. But I know what you meant.

And I think Ed Reed will be part of the DB class, so he at least will represent the post-2000 era of players.
    Yea he should be on there for sure. And yes, this seems to be a pre y2k team.

It's the 100 top players from 100 years of NFL, I'm actually glad the list doesn't suffer from the recency bias that the media and fans suffer from now. It seems like every week you're seeing something or someone being declared the greatest or worst of all-time, when in reality it's just a really good week 11 performance during a run of the mill season.

I don't know if we'll see many players that are currently playing, or just retired on this list.

What?

Lee Roy Selmon

1 All Pro - 6 Pro Bowls - 10 Fumbles Recovered - 23 Sacks

Hall of Fame 1995 - NFL All-Time Team 2019

Karl Mecklenburg

3 - All-Pros - 6 Pro Bowls - 16 Forced Fumbles - 14 Fumbles Recovered - 79 Sacks
    ??????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoNTemecula View Post
    What?

Lee Roy Selmon

1 All Pro - 6 Pro Bowls - 10 Fumbles Recovered - 23 Sacks

Hall of Fame 1995 - NFL All-Time Team 2019

Karl Mecklenburg

3 - All-Pros - 6 Pro Bowls - 16 Forced Fumbles - 14 Fumbles Recovered - 79 Sacks
    ??????????????????
    I don't know Selmon, but he played from 1976-1984 and the NFL didn't start keeping track of sacks until 1982, so it's probably likely he had a lot more than 23. He was the defensive player of the year in 1979.

He was also a 5 time All Pro (3 times first team, 2 times second team) not just 1. I've seen his unofficial stats at 742 tackles, 78.5 sacks and 23 forced fumbles.

Alright I researched him a little more, the All-Pro thing is a little kinky because they count more than 1 source voting for All-Pro, he was only once a first team AP All-Pro.

But looking at his Hall of Fame profile they have him with 78.5 sacks, and 27.5 forced fumbles. He had 13 sacks once and then 11 sacks three other times. The most impressive stat to me is the 742 tackles as a defensive end. That's a pretty high number.

https://www.profootballhof.com/players/lee-roy-selmon/

I don't understand why Gayle Sayers is in here. There are a lot of better RBs to pick from.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I don't understand why Gayle Sayers is in here. There are a lot of better RBs to pick from.
    If I had to guess it's because he still holds 20 Bears franchise records and they're considered a flagship franchise for the NFL. I'd have to think about him, I'd be less inclined to include Emmitt Smith though. I know he's the all-time leader in yards, but I never thought of him as a great back, more a good back that benefitted from being surrounded by a great team. I'm probably in the very small minority on that, but I'd have given his place to either Marshall Faulk (just such a dynamic weapon) because I think what Faulk did changed the game, Smith was a good back who just played for a long time and accumulated stats.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on that though.

Congrats to Champ!!!!!

Congratulations to Champ Bailey on being named a finalist for the NFL 100 All-Time team!

Tune in to NFL Network on Friday at 6pm MT to see who makes the final cut.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Sayers was an incredible player. He was amazing though his career was cut short due to injury. He was an incredible runner and returner. He was one you had to see in his day, as he was so smooth, quick and fast, and just plain elite in all respects.

Has the record for most all purpose yards per game.
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-04-2019 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Sayers was an incredible player. He was amazing though his career was cut short due to injury. He was an incredible runner and returner. He was one you had to see in his day, as he was so smooth, quick and fast, and just plain elite in all respects.

Has the record for most all purpose yards per game.
    What was so amazing about his play? His all purpose yards are due to his return yards. He has 2781 return yards in 5 seasons. Being a great returner doesn't make you a great RB. There are just so many great RBs in the history of the league, I don't see sayers as being in the top 12.

IMO, without the "Brian's Song" story, Gale Sayers wouldn't be the name he is now. It could be argued that Leroy Kelly was the better back during that time and I bet most people don't even know who that is.

Off the top of my head, LT, TD, Marcus Allen, Faulk all belong on this list long before Gale Sayers does
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 12-04-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Congrats to Champ!!!!!

Congratulations to Champ Bailey on being named a finalist for the NFL 100 All-Time team!

Tune in to NFL Network on Friday at 6pm MT to see who makes the final cut.
    Wow, it looks like another great Bronco player in Champ was hosed in the final cut. So in the end I guess John Elway and Shannon Sharpe will be the only two players representing this great franchise on the list.

champ
    SOLO
    FF
    INT
    PD

sanders
    SOLO
    FF
    INT
    PD

ill take champ any day