• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worldsoutro
    Banned User
    • Aug 2010

CTE has really ruined football

I dont want to see anyone getting hurt and they should have taken the big hits out of the game but there are just too many rules that get added every year that diminishes the game little by little.

Kickoffs are useless just get rid of them at this point. Onside kicks are nearly impossible with the new rules.

The helmet rule is impossible to properly enforce some of the time and its a judgment call. Seems like flags are called a lot more than I seem to remember.

Now you can challenge PI. I just think its going to be more confusing.
  • Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    team preacher
    • Mar 2008

CTE changed the game for me personally. I saw my son go through 2 bad concussions in high school, which changed his life and forced him to quit the game.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• johnlimburg
      Ring of Famer
      • Sep 2009

I disagree, football is still the greatest sport in the world in my eyes, and the NFL is still the premier American sports league. I have never been one to complain about the changing of rules for hits to the head, but I understand both sides of the argument. I don't find a guy on the ground stiff as a plank entertaining, especially when he had no way of defending himself. Those are weak plays in my opinion when a linebacker blindside launches himself into a guys head, I don't see that as tough, I could do that and produce the same results. I don't think football is ruined at all.
      Last edited by johnlimburg; 07-14-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Hadez
        Football Immortal
        • Nov 2004

I think QBs should take more hits than they do today.

Also think DBs should be able to crack down harder than currently allowed.

Being a QB/Receiver decades ago used to require a level of courage that is no longer required. IMO some players are excelling today in positions that would have taken much more mental fortitude to excel decades ago.

I am all for player safety but I think the liability of issues combined with the notion that franchise QBs MUST be protected has forced the NFL to go too far.

One thing that has been true for the entire time of the NFL...even if one star player retires or gets hurt....the fans will still tune in to see whoever else steps onto the field.
        What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
        effort x talent = skill
        effort x skill = achievement
        How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• worldsoutro
          Banned User
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
          I disagree, football is still the greatest sport in the world in my eyes, and the NFL is still the premier American sports league. I have never been one to complain about the changing of rules for hits to the head, but I understand both sides of the argument. I don't find a guy on the ground stiff as a plank entertaining, especially when he had no way of defending himself. Those are weak plays in my opinion when a linebacker blindside launches himself into a guys head, I don't see that as tough, I could do that and produce the same results. I don't think football is ruined at all.
          They should have taken the big hits out of the game from the beginning and teach proper tackling. I just notice a huge difference in quality with each new rule. Kickoffs and Onside kicks are useless. Flags on every other place.

Comment

• worldsoutro
            Banned User
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
            I think QBs should take more hits than they do today.

Also think DBs should be able to crack down harder than currently allowed.

Being a QB/Receiver decades ago used to require a level of courage that is no longer required. IMO some players are excelling today in positions that would have taken much more mental fortitude to excel decades ago.

I am all for player safety but I think the liability of issues combined with the notion that franchise QBs MUST be protected has forced the NFL to go too far.

One thing that has been true for the entire time of the NFL...even if one star player retires or gets hurt....the fans will still tune in to see whoever else steps onto the field.
            It's going to get worse, they will continue to incorporate new rules to protect the qb and offenses. They want to see more scoring

Comment

• Fantaztic7
              Banned User
              • Dec 2015

Rule changes in the NFL will not stop the decline in youth and high school football. As the NFL and NCAA change rules, some parents are not allowing kids to play. Some state legislators are working to ban youth football under age 12. The number of 11-player high school football participants is down 6.5 percent from the 2009-10 peak. One of our local high schools with 2000 students eliminated their football program. The school literally could not field a team. This school doesn’t lack resources - there simply wasn’t enough interest. There are still 1 million players in high school football so it’s far from going away anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
              X