• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • haciendadad
    Starter
    • Feb 2007

Expectations for 2019

I am excited to see this new team play and I have can see the potential assuming everyone plays up to their potential, but there is a lot of prognosticators and even local radio personalities, ex-Broncos too, that see the talent on this team as a groups in the lower third. Yeah, there are some stand out players in a position, but if you look at the position group they are considered bottom tier. Maybe, I am just being an optimist but I guess I need to take off the glasses and start to realize we are still probably a couple of seasons/drafts away from getting a team that is a serious SB contender. I can't blame Elway and company for their last couple of years' drafts but those few before that has really set us back. Hopefully, this defense can give us a chance for respectability but then there is that weak area, down the middle, that can be exploited. What are the chances that this team can prove everyone wrong? As far as winning record, are we taking a step back this year?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.
  • DwhitetheGamer
    Starter
    • Oct 2014

As far as the winning record, we're not taking a step back with Vic Fangio. As a great YouTuber said about Vance Joseph, "Who knew that an unprepared, inexperienced coach would be unprepared and inexperienced? Now they go for the opposite in mob boss Vic Fangio, surprisingly one of the more reasonable hires in this cycle. So if players mess up he just whacks 'em."

Simple jab aside, Vic is looking to be a much improved coach over Vance. On top of that, we're going to have an improved O-Line, as far as the running game is concerned, as well as a competitive fight for the no. 2 QB in Hogan and Lock. At minimum I'm looking at a 11-5 record with a wildcard, the keyword here is MINIMUM.

I would go the Pat Bowlen route of going 19 and 0 but that would involve absolute perfection and a lot of sacrifices to the Football Gods in order for it to happen.

Comment

• haciendadad
      Starter
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DwhitetheGamer View Post
      As far as the winning record, we're not taking a step back with Vic Fangio. As a great YouTuber said about Vance Joseph, "Who knew that an unprepared, inexperienced coach would be unprepared and inexperienced? Now they go for the opposite in mob boss Vic Fangio, surprisingly one of the more reasonable hires in this cycle. So if players mess up he just whacks 'em."

Simple jab aside, Vic is looking to be a much improved coach over Vance. On top of that, we're going to have an improved O-Line, as far as the running game is concerned, as well as a competitive fight for the no. 2 QB in Hogan and Lock. At minimum I'm looking at a 11-5 record with a wildcard, the keyword here is MINIMUM.

I would go the Pat Bowlen route of going 19 and 0 but that would involve absolute perfection and a lot of sacrifices to the Football Gods in order for it to happen.
      Wow, you have a lot of optimism, more than I had. I agree on the coaching side, and maybe that alone gets us to 8-8 which prevents a losing record but we need our young talent to really mature fast and some of our holdovers to rise up to get to double digits (I'm looking at you Heuerman, Booker, Leary, McManus, Butt, McGovern, Davis, and Jewel). Yeah, there is a long list of players that need to rise up from good to great. There needs to be some players that rise up to be leaders on the field too!! That has been lacking for too long and they need to teach in real-time and help everyone raise their game!
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

• Taos_Broncomaniac
        Football Immortal
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by DwhitetheGamer View Post

I know there's one hack "reporter" out there predicting 2 wins and first pick in the draft.

We're gonna be waaaaay better than that.
        [sigpic

Comment

• samparnell
          Soy Capitan Meshpoint
          • Nov 2007

General consensus about 2018's 6-10 record seems to include: poor coaching ; poor play at certain positions in need of upgrade; and, injuries. The coaching staff has been upgraded; the effort was made to upgrade several position groups via free agency and the draft; and, new offensive and defensive systems are being installed.

One wonders how many losses in 2018 were due to coaching and how many were poor play in certain position groups. Denver has a young roster which can be expected to improve. A winning season isn't that farfetched an expectation.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• armedequation
            cafe official sidekick
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            General consensus about 2018's 6-10 record seems to include: poor coaching ; poor play at certain positions in need of upgrade; and, injuries. The coaching staff has been upgraded; the effort was made to upgrade several position groups via free agency and the draft; and, new offensive and defensive systems are being installed.

One wonders how many losses in 2018 were due to coaching and how many were poor play in certain position groups. Denver has a young roster which can be expected to improve. A winning season isn't that farfetched an expectation.
            Its not farfetched i agree. You can logically combine 2 amd say that there was poor play due to poor coaching amd not setting up players for success
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Canmore
              Do. Do not...No Try!
              • May 2007

I don't see the playoffs.
              Brutal schedule.
              9-7
              sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
                Football Immortal
                • Dec 2012

I expect that they don't have another losing season. I am optimistic that expectation is met. They are better overall, I think especially with the coaching staff.
                After the first 6 games I think they have a real shot at being 4-2 but a 3-3 would not be all that surprising. Its the next 3 games before the bye I believe will say whether the Broncos are playoff contenders or even another losing season...
                Thursday game against KC, Broncos at home, at Colts, home against the Browns... lose all 3 (very possible) the Broncos are not contenders, win one of those maybe still a winning team but not playoffs, win 2 they have a decent chance of making the playoffs, win all 3 they make the playoffs.
                If they can beat all of those 3 teams (doubtful), I think they can go 5-2 the rest of the way that would give them an 11-5 season, maybe even good enough to win the division.
                11-5 I think is the best that can be hoped for, 10-6 is very plausible and that might get them in the playoffs, probably the most realistic is a 9-7 record. missing the playoffs.
                Hoping for the best, looking forward to watching as many Bronco games as I can this season, I hope they are at least competitive in all of them for some great entertainment.
                sigpic

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                  Captain
                  • Aug 2008

Hard to say. Around 8 wins is my current expectation.

Comment

• conannilsen
                    Special Teams
                    • Aug 2007

10 and 6. Superbowl or bust. I have every reason to feel optimistic until I dont. I have faith we can do it, but will also understand if we do not. Stress free football this season, everything positive will be a plus.
                    2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

• Bronco51
                      Football Immortal
                      • Jan 2005

Honestly, I just want to see competent coaching and prepared players and game plans. If that happens, they can be a winning. How far above .500 depends on a lot of other factors.

Comment

• Dennis.1960
                        Captain
                        • Nov 2014

I'd be happy with a winning season to end the embarrassment of the VJ regime...what that guy did to our legacy as an elite franchise was criminal
                        "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                        PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                        LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

• johnlimburg
                          Ring of Famer
                          • Sep 2009

I expect a competitive team from week to week who should compete for a wild card spot. The Flacco move in my opinion was a positive one, we added another good draft class, and we fired maybe the most incompetent coach we have had in Denver for a long time, on paper we improved. This is the first time in 3 years I have thought we might actually compete with the off-season moves we made, let's hope that's the case.

Comment

• Houshmazode
                            The Mountaineer
                            • Sep 2006

Playoffs. Anything less is a failure
                            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                            sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                              Football Immortal
                              • Mar 2008

I expect a better result no doubt. We have a new coaching unit, that can only help the cause. That's a plus 2 wins in my opinion. We have loads of young O talent, and an improved Oline….though not sure how much improved. But before I add wins to the equation, I will be honest, that I do not know what to expect from Flacco. He might be the steadying factor, but he is not exactly coming off a promising run. But I will add 1 win. Getting us to 9 and 7.

I like our D, but did we strengthen the middle? I love the bookend pass rush, and we did fill some holes in the offseason. And because I gave us a plus 2 for coaching, I will attribute at least one victory to defensive coaching.

So I'm going 9 and 7 until I see more from Joe. Having said that, I see this team getting better if and when our long term QB takes over, and leads this young, talented O into the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X