Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lock holding out?

I read that he wants more money than Risner, who was drafted ahead of him, because he's a QB. Neither are signed yet. Great

Risner already signed. QB premiums are fairly normal.

Pay 'em the same. Dalton is a starter, Drew isn't and won't be anytime soon with that attitude. He should fire his agent.

I think He will sign soon.
    He should get his act together and put the pen to paper,
    And get to work!!!!

I must have been reading an old story.

Dumb move. I like the guy less already.

He is going to get at least a 3 mill. signing bonus, and he is just a young kid. That's a lot of loot to sit on the bench for awhile.
    (Get to work kid)

I thought the values were predetermined based on your draft position? How can he hold out for more money?

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I thought the values were predetermined based on your draft position? How can he hold out for more money?
    Agents argue that the QB position is a premium position and should get additional bonuses (that supposedly don't count against the cap) on top of their draft position.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Agents argue that the QB position is a premium position and should get additional bonuses (that supposedly don't count against the cap) on top of their draft position.
    Everything counts against the cap eventually.

There are two types of NFL bonuses, the first are "Likely to be earned" bonuses which count against the cap immediately and a team will receive credit for on the following year's cap if they're not earned. The other are "Not likely to be earned" bonuses which aren't counted against this year's cap, but will be deducted from the cap the following year if they are earned.

EVERY single incentive in the first year of a rookie contract is considered "Likely to be earned" which means they will count against 2019's salary cap.

Here's a good breakdown on it, from former Broncos' GM Ted Sundquist.

https://www.thefootballeducator.com/...ct-incentives/

I figure 3 million is more than a lot of regular people earn working 30 years at 50k a year. I think that's only 1.5 million over 30 years. So to get a 3 million dollar signing bonus, and not even be 25 years old yet, that's pretty good loot.
    (For playing a game)
    Last edited by Capt. Jack; 07-16-2019 at 03:54 PM.

From my understanding this is a normal thing. I'll never judge anyone for trying to maximize their earnings. So here's hoping there is a solution sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I figure 3 million is more than a lot of regular people earn working 30 years at 50k a year. I think that's only 1.5 million over 30 years. So to get a 3 million dollar signing bonus, and not even be 25 years old yet, that's pretty loot.
    (For playing a game)
    Game or not, they just get paid what their market dictates. It takes special individuals to just make it to the League, so well yes it's a game, let's not overlook that they are special and have invested copious amounts of time to getting here.

What a baby....go play....don’t worry about dollars and cents..work hard, win the starting job.. be crazy rich in 4 years..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Holding out would be dumb but not signing the first thing put in front of him? Probably pretty smart even if all he gets is another $500k over 4 years, that's still $500k... Pretty much everyone on the boards would be willing to make an employer sweat a few weeks for an extra $125k/year...