Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Maybe this is being driven by his agent - not sure. Even if we assume this is a move by his agent, Lock would have to go along with it. I haven’t studied his agent, so maybe this is a common tactic? From everything I’ve read about Lock, his work ethic and commitment were very strong at Missouri. Development aside, I thought the guy was going to report to camp Day 1 and get to work to earn the backup role. These things usually get sorted out but he needs the work. Maybe it’s just a new era with demanding more pay without having earned it. There are unique circumstances with contact language that warrant negotiations, but this seems like a grab for money. I hope he develops into a great quarterback however this move strikes me the wrong way.
    He can't exceed his allocated draft amount. More than likely it's language and guranteed money. The next play is not a given in this league, ask Alex Smit or Kendrick Norton. Why does it strike you the wrong way?

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    What has he proven?
    That the Denver Broncos liked him enough to leak he was their highest rated QB in the draft, and invest multiple high end draft picks in him.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Strong answer against your weak argument.
    He was their highest rated QB on their board... that they didn’t draft in the first Round, and even traded back in that round, and then drafted someone else in round 2 then got him..

That’s his value to them,., a value pick, in the second round,

You answer isn’t strong.., there is a slot for what he will earn... as negotiated with the players association,,, and that’s his value,..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

He can't exceed his allocated draft amount. More than likely it's language and guranteed money. The next play is not a given in this league, ask Alex Smit or Kendrick Norton. Why does it strike you the wrong way?
    Lock reportedly insisted through his agent on being paid a "quarterback premium" and getting a higher-value contract than Dalton Risner, who was the 41st pick by Denver, one slot ahead of Lock.

The NFL slotting system dictates the outlay of money for all players in any slot in the draft. Based on that system, Risner would get a four-year contract worth $7.1 million, including a signing bonus of $3.214 million. Lock would get a four-year deal worth $7 million and a $3.119 million bonus.

Risner signed his four-year rookie contract worth $7,142,282. He received a $3,214,388 signing bonus and the first two years of the deal are fully guaranteed. He is also slated to get a $75,000 workout bonus in 2021 and a $100,000 bonus in 2022.

It strikes me the wrong way for two reasons. First, Lock was drafted after Risner. Regardless of projection or his perceived talent as an NFL quarterback, he was drafted 42nd behind Risner. Risner is likely a Day 1 starter at left guard barring injury, while Lock must earn the backup role. Second, Lock needs all the work and reps to develop into a backup, let alone a starter. The fact that the Broncos got an extra week of camp should be reason enough for Lock to be there.

Insisting on a higher value contract as the 42nd pick and threatening to hold old is not a good move. The work is what he needs to focus on, not insisting on more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Lock reportedly insisted through his agent on being paid a "quarterback premium" and getting a higher-value contract than Dalton Risner, who was the 41st pick by Denver, one slot ahead of Lock.

The NFL slotting system dictates the outlay of money for all players in any slot in the draft. Based on that system, Risner would get a four-year contract worth $7.1 million, including a signing bonus of $3.214 million. Lock would get a four-year deal worth $7 million and a $3.119 million bonus.

Risner signed his four-year rookie contract worth $7,142,282. He received a $3,214,388 signing bonus and the first two years of the deal are fully guaranteed. He is also slated to get a $75,000 workout bonus in 2021 and a $100,000 bonus in 2022.

It strikes me the wrong way for two reasons. First, Lock was drafted after Risner. Regardless of projection or his perceived talent as an NFL quarterback, he was drafted 42nd behind Risner. Risner is likely a Day 1 starter at left guard barring injury, while Lock must earn the backup role. Second, Lock needs all the work and reps to develop into a backup, let alone a starter. The fact that the Broncos got an extra week of camp should be reason enough for Lock to be there.

Insisting on a higher value contract as the 42nd pick and threatening to hold old is not a good move. The work is what he needs to focus on, not insisting on more money.
    So many had compared him to Jay Cutler prior to the draft, however I believe they meant talent wise!

Goodness let’s hope he doesn’t bring that crap “I have a stronger arm than a John Elway” attitude as well!

That the Denver Broncos liked him enough to leak he was their highest rated QB in the draft, and invest multiple high end draft picks in him.
    I don't see this as a strong argument in your favour at all. Technically, I guess you can say they invested 1 high end draft pick in Lock by moving up to get him, but they traded up for him using a mid to late 2nd rounder, a 4th rounder, and a 6th rounder, that isn't exactly "high end" in terms of compensation.

Then when you factor in the need this team had for youth at quarterback, how shallow this quarterback class was talent wise, and the fact they passed on Drew Lock 3 times before they even picked him in the 2nd round, I would say yeah, they like him, but they don't love him. Eddie Mac summed it up perfectly, he was a value pick to them.

Also, telling the media after you got a guy in the second round he was the highest rated quarterback on your board isn't exactly a huge insight or some big behind the scenes scoop. You just added the guy to your team, what was Elway going to say in response to that question ? "No he wasn't, we wanted Murray or Jones but got stuck with Lock", come on now.

We have almost zero equity locked up in the quarterback position right now, neither guy is in a position of leverage in my opinion. Obviously Elway would love Flacco or Lock to secure the job here for an extended period of time, but we don't have enough tied up in either of them to ignore trying to upgrade the position in the future if the opportunity presents itself. Lock needs to get on the field and prove it, because Rypien from an efficiency stand point in my opinion could take the back up spot from Lock in an open competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    So many had compared him to Jay Cutler prior to the draft, however I believe they meant talent wise!

Goodness let’s hope he doesn’t bring that crap “I have a stronger arm than a John Elway” attitude as well!
    Maybe it’s just a rookie mistake, we’ll see. I have no issue with a player being confident because one has to believe in their ability to be successful. He experienced some adversity at Missouri, especially being put in the starting role early when the starter was injured. He worked hard at Missouri while coaches and scouts alike commented on his receptiveness to coaching at the Senior Bowl. We’ll see what happens. Elway needs to hold firm. I understand a proven veteran who’s earned the right to ask for more. Not Lock - sign and get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't see this as a strong argument in your favour at all. Technically, I guess you can say they invested 1 high end draft pick in Lock by moving up to get him, but they traded up for him using a mid to late 2nd rounder, a 4th rounder, and a 6th rounder, that isn't exactly "high end" in terms of compensation.

Then when you factor in the need this team had for youth at quarterback, how shallow this quarterback class was talent wise, and the fact they passed on Drew Lock 3 times before they even picked him in the 2nd round, I would say yeah, they like him, but they don't love him. Eddie Mac summed it up perfectly, he was a value pick to them.

Also, telling the media after you got a guy in the second round he was the highest rated quarterback on your board isn't exactly a huge insight or some big behind the scenes scoop. You just added the guy to your team, what was Elway going to say in response to that question ? "No he wasn't, we wanted Murray or Jones but got stuck with Lock", come on now.

We have almost zero equity locked up in the quarterback position right now, neither guy is in a position of leverage in my opinion. Obviously Elway would love Flacco or Lock to secure the job here for an extended period of time, but we don't have enough tied up in either of them to ignore trying to upgrade the position in the future if the opportunity presents itself. Lock needs to get on the field and prove it, because Rypien from an efficiency stand point in my opinion could take the back up spot from Lock in an open competition.
    I agree with EM’s summation as a value pick. Your points provide great context along those lines. I wasn’t outright sold on Lock as a prospect however thought the pick at 42 was a good move. We’ll see how this pans out. I hope Elway doesn’t budge, which I doubt will happen.

I believe he can't earn more based on his slotted draft position. It's more about getting money up front? I really don't get it.

You're a second round QB and the 4th one taken, stop squabbling over semantics of your rookie deal and earn that second contract. Lock needs all the reps he can get and he is only hurting himself at this point.

Really rubs me the wrong way that him and his agent are asking for preferential treatment over a man picked one slot higher who will be blocking for him if he ever becomes a starter.

They are all only a play away, heck even one car ride away. Look at Kendrick Norton, poor guy just lost his arm. Lock and his agent know he's a valuable commodity, take every advantage you get to get every dollar you can get. I hope he gets the most money he possibly can.
    That is true. Big deal in this case. He hasn't and probably won't play a down for a while. The guy picked ahead of him will be on the field day one contributing. If something happens tomorrow and he never sees the field ( God forbid), he walks away a millionaire for never having played a down. He is a value pick who has a lot to learn and prove to be worth " a premium". He is not a day one contributor. I don't have any sorry feelings for his position. He deserves fair market value for where he was picked only BECAUSE OF WHERE HE WAS PICKED. He has proven nothing. Nothing at all at this point.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

― Mark Twain

With the way the rookie salary works now a days I am not even sure why agents/players do this.

I see it happen every year. It is usually over some small points all things considered.

If I was the GM I would be hoping the player fires their agent mean time I would be looking for options just in case the player was the one actually behind this. A GM does not want a player+agent combo like this come 4th year of the rookie deal.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Quarterback premium? How about QB as a team leader? Kinda hard to lead when you're not there because you demand to be paid more than a guy who was drafted ahead of you. The rookie wage scale negotiated into the CBA provides guidelines put in place to avoid this kind of nonsense. Fire your agents, Drew, and start acting like an adult instead of a kid. Do you want to play football? Do you want to be a Bronco? Make up your mind.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

From reading these Posts, it appears the "Lock Honeymoon" is over. And all I can do is be thankful that we didn't spend the #10 on the guy, as so many on this Board were hoping for since the end of last season.

And although I'm guessing Lock will sign, it's nice to see that he has an Agent who is doing his job. I'm also guessing that Rypien and Hogan look better than Lock, creating an interesting Camp.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    From reading these Posts, it appears the "Lock Honeymoon" is over. And all I can do is be thankful that we didn't spend the #10 on the guy, as so many on this Board were hoping for since the end of last season.

And although I'm guessing Lock will sign, it's nice to see that he has an Agent who is doing his job. I'm also guessing that Rypien and Hogan look better than Lock, creating an interesting Camp.
    A lot can happen. I do not think any actions need to be taken....just plans of actions need to be considered and prepared....which honestly should be done in case the draft pick is a bust like honestly most draft picks are.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Risner just signed yesterday and Lock has not yet missed any camp... yet. Maybe, I hope, he will sign today and be in camp tomorrow. It does not seem too wise to miss any camp time.
    I read that Risner was waiting for the 42nd pick to sign and that he wanted more (or as much as) #42 draft pick received but he did not want to miss any camp, so he signed, that sounds like a wise decision by a rookie. If the Broncos hadn't taken Lock at 42 he probably would not have gone until at least 45 - NE's pick - otherwise he probably would have still been there at 52, seeing that is his likely market value he, or his agent shouldn't be expecting more than, or as much as the #41 pick receives. I don't blame his agent for getting as much as possible for his client but it doesn't sound like the Broncos have any room to give him more without betraying Risner, considering Risner signed stipulating - according to the article - that he gets compensated better than the #42 pick.
    Come on Lock, concern yourself with football and get into camp!