Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    According to PFT Jimmy G was 9/14 with 1 interception during team periods. So the 49ers may have "won" the day, but it's not like he was lighting it up.

As for Fangio making it "soft" I think that's a massive stretch. The no fighting thing is emphasized by every NFL team ahead of joint practices, most times they listen. But it's not like it's some revolutionary thing not wanting your players to get hurt in a fight because some player from the other team held his block too long. Add to that, it's (cheap stuff) going to happen during games, are you going to fight every time it happens? If you are then your team will be an undisciplined mess, and the opposition will constantly be baiting you for 15 yard penalties.

And the haircuts...is it really "soft" because you won't let your veterans shave a stupid design in the hair of the rookies? If that is going to make a team soft than the team needs to be completely gutted and rebuilt because the player leadership is awful. The haircuts were a ridiculous tradition and I'm glad it's finally gone. I also find it sad that the player who seemed to be most outspoken about it going away (Sanders) was a player who never went through the tough part of it because he was in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    According to PFT Jimmy G was 9/14 with 1 interception during team periods. So the 49ers may have "won" the day, but it's not like he was lighting it up.

As for Fangio making it "soft" I think that's a massive stretch. The no fighting thing is emphasized by every NFL team ahead of joint practices, most times they listen. But it's not like it's some revolutionary thing not wanting your players to get hurt in a fight because some player from the other team held his block too long. Add to that, it's (cheap stuff) going to happen during games, are you going to fight every time it happens? If you are then your team will be an undisciplined mess, and the opposition will constantly be baiting you for 15 yard penalties.

And the haircuts...is it really "soft" because you won't let your veterans shave a stupid design in the hair of the rookies? If that is going to make a team soft than the team needs to be completely gutted and rebuilt because the player leadership is awful. The haircuts were a ridiculous tradition and I'm glad it's finally gone. I also find it sad that the player who seemed to be most outspoken about it going away (Sanders) was a player who never went through the tough part of it because he was in Pittsburgh.
    Speculation aside, the offense lacked intensity. Players can be disciplined and play with intensity. Weíll see how they respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Speculation aside, the offense lacked intensity. Players can be disciplined and play with intensity. We’ll see how they respond.
    It's one practice towards the end of camp. They were off Wednesday and had a half speed walk through type practice on Thursday. I'm not shocked they lacked intensity. I'll be shocked if they lack intensity two days in a row.

But none of it matters, because in the end it's just practice. Sure it's a different team going against you but it doesn't matter. As pointed out last year the Broncos were a much better team than the Bears in practice, didn't seem to matter during the season.

It's one practice towards the end of camp. They were off Wednesday and had a half speed walk through type practice on Thursday. I'm not shocked they lacked intensity. I'll be shocked if they lack intensity two days in a row.

But none of it matters, because in the end it's just practice. Sure it's a different team going against you but it doesn't matter. As pointed out last year the Broncos were a much better team than the Bears in practice, didn't seem to matter during the season.
    Itís one bad practice preceded by a lot of sloppy days during camp. The offense hasnít improved much over camp IMO. Thatís not to say they wonít have a great season, I just believe they have a good bit of work ahead to be competitive.

that's why they were supposed to be rested and ready to go.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

I wonder if it is because the 49ers run an identical offense, so their defense is well prepared. Garopollo also threw an interception to Simmons, so who knows. I'd like to hear some good news about our offense though, because it's lately been a lot of struggle.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

It’s one bad practice preceded by a lot of sloppy days during camp. The offense hasn’t improved much over camp IMO. That’s not to say they won’t have a great season, I just believe they have a good bit of work ahead to be competitive.
    At this point, with the season starting in 2 weeks, I think this offense is what it is. The drops are still going to happen. A part of me wonders if it's because the offense lacks leadership.

I don't think much will be changing, just hopefully more discipline. Monday should be a good indicator of where they've progressed. But I would expect a defensive slogfest, with multiple turnovers from each team's QBs.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 08-16-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Sadly, yet again our offence doesn’t show a sliver of life....it would be so nice to be able to move the ball, and have a little optimism,,
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

I'm guessing at this rate center is going to be high on our draft board and possibly another lineman. Seems the issue always seem to come from there. Risner seems to be a solid piece but who else is stepping up on this kind. McGovern can't seem to get the snap right, Leary needs to prove he can stay healthy, James need prove himself, and Bolles needs to step up from last year and not hold.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-current) Bradley Roby
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    that's why they were supposed to be rested and ready to go.
    Imagine that...the 49ers traveled and they had more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I wonder if it is because the 49ers run an identical offense, so their defense is well prepared. Garopollo also threw an interception to Simmons, so who knows. I'd like to hear some good news about our offense though, because it's lately been a lot of struggle.
    At this point, with the season starting in 2 weeks, I think this offense is what it is. The drops are still going to happen. A part of me wonders if it's because the offense lacks leadership.

I don't think much will be changing, just hopefully more discipline. Monday should be a good indicator of where they've progressed. But I would expect a defensive slogfest, with multiple turnovers from each team's QBs.
    I suppose the 49ers knowing the offense played a role. It would be nice to see if Scangarello can mix it up, but maybe he doesnít want to show too much.

With respect to discipline I havenít seen anything change vs the game last two years. Sanders and Sutton fought and I donít recall any consequence (maybe there was and it wasnít reported). The offense continues with sloppy practices but I donít hear much urgency to fix it. When your starting QB brushes off the drops it tells me thereís no leadership. Business as usual like Vance Joseph and Bill Musgrave.

I hope Iím wrong. Maybe the sloppiness is part of the process. It might say more anout a lack of talent at some positions. The next two games should give us an indicator of whatís to come.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-17-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Well, as of today, the season opener at Oakland is three weeks and a couple of days away.

Even with continuity on both sides of the ball, defense is almost always ahead of offense during preseason practice at any level. There are three preseason games, which are actually controlled scrimmages in game-like conditions, left to play.

Denver's offense is new with a new OC and four new position coaches, three new QBs, two new starting O-Linemen one of whom is a rookie, and a bunch of second year/rookie players at the other skill positions. It takes time to get everyone on the same page and jelling as a group. Given the newness, I'd say there is a lot of upside at this point, not less.

Probably a good idea to hide the panic button right now.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I suppose the 49ers knowing the offense played a role. It would be nice to see if Scangarello can mix it up, but maybe he doesnít want to show too much.

With respect to discipline I havenít seen anything change vs the game last two years. Sanders and Sutton fought and I donít recall any consequence (maybe there was and it wasnít reported). The offense continues with sloppy practices but I donít hear much urgency to fix it. When your starting QB brushes off the drops it tells me thereís no leadership. Business as usual like Vance Joseph and Bill Musgrave.

I hope Iím wrong. Maybe the sloppiness is part of the process. It might say more anout a lack of talent at some positions. The next two games should give us an indicator of whatís to come.
    Here's what bothers me about that. We've got like 1 and a half guys on offense, that I know of, who are vocal or fiery veterans. ES is the main one, and we've got 2nd year players throwing water bottles or whatever at them in practice. I don't care if Sutton had a legitimate gripe, it's not a good look to have one of your few veteran leaders getting undermined in front of everybody. Even if it was dealt with after the fact, somebody should've locked Sutton on immediately. This is whole point of rookie "hazing". Call it what you want. Call it initiation or rite of passage, but you have to knock young guys down a peg to instill compliance to leadership. Otherwise, you'll have a bunch of inexperienced guys running around making mistakes on everyone else's time. The staff, veterans, and fans don't want to sit around and suck while the guys in their early 20's figure it out.

I would be more than happy to be wrong about the vocal leadership we have on offense. If there's a bad ass on the offensive line, or even Flacco who lights a fire under everyone's backsides, that'd be a welcome sight for me. From what I've seen, that's not exactly the type of leader Flacco is. I'm not behind the scenes, so maybe there are guys like that. I'd just feel way better if I actually saw it, or had some results to confirm it.

It's preseason and there isn't much to talk about, so hopefully we're reading too much into it. I'm just speaking from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Here's what bothers me about that. We've got like 1 and a half guys on offense, that I know of, who are vocal or fiery veterans. ES is the main one, and we've got 2nd year players throwing water bottles or whatever at them in practice. I don't care if Sutton had a legitimate gripe, it's not a good look to have one of your few veteran leaders getting undermined in front of everybody. Even if it was dealt with after the fact, somebody should've locked Sutton on immediately. This is whole point of rookie "hazing". Call it what you want. Call it initiation or rite of passage, but you have to knock young guys down a peg to instill compliance to leadership. Otherwise, you'll have a bunch of inexperienced guys running around making mistakes on everyone else's time. The staff, veterans, and fans don't want to sit around and suck while the guys in their early 20's figure it out.

I would be more than happy to be wrong about the vocal leadership we have on offense. If there's a bad ass on the offensive line, or even Flacco who lights a fire under everyone's backsides, that'd be a welcome sight for me. From what I've seen, that's not exactly the type of leader Flacco is. I'm not behind the scenes, so maybe there are guys like that. I'd just feel way better if I actually saw it, or had some results to confirm it.

It's preseason and there isn't much to talk about, so hopefully we're reading too much into it. I'm just speaking from experience.
    Fangio nixed the rookie haircuts because it's physical hazing. He didn't prohibit other forms of rookie subordination which could be considered "initiation". From my own experience, hazing is idiotic and potentially dangerous; don't like it, won't condone it and will prevent it, if possible. IMO it's the player equivalent of coaches yelling, cussing and humiliating players. None of these things has anything to do with coaching and playing the game.

I suppose the 49ers knowing the offense played a role. It would be nice to see if Scangarello can mix it up, but maybe he doesn’t want to show too much.

With respect to discipline I haven’t seen anything change vs the game last two years. Sanders and Sutton fought and I don’t recall any consequence (maybe there was and it wasn’t reported). The offense continues with sloppy practices but I don’t hear much urgency to fix it. When your starting QB brushes off the drops it tells me there’s no leadership. Business as usual like Vance Joseph and Bill Musgrave.

I hope I’m wrong. Maybe the sloppiness is part of the process. It might say more anout a lack of talent at some positions. The next two games should give us an indicator of what’s to come.
    Just because we haven't heard anything reported, or announcements from coaches concerning discipline doesn't mean it hasn't happened.