Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    I'd really like to see the Broncos start a line of Bolles-Risner-McGovern-Barclay-Wilkenson on Thursday. The right side isn't the starters (obviously) but likely key backups, and the guys on the left side and middle need the reps.

This gives them the chance to benefit from the extra game by getting these guys to gel with some live bullets flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    From today’s live updates:

- Risner mauled the defense.

- Fangio liked progress from Flacco but said he must be more efficient. Drops are an issue and disappointed with 12 penalties.

- Fangio on Lock: “He had some good periods here today. I think he did his best work in 7-on-7, which isn’t football. But it’s progress. You need to see that progress in 11-on-11 and then ultimately in games. But, he’s getting better."

- Read a comment that Hollins is playing well - any details from those who attended camp yesterday and today?

- McManus kicked some good FGs.

- James will practice tomorrow. Sounds like Wilkinson has had a good camp.

- From limited amount of live updates on Rypien, sounds like he made some some plays.

- Fangio has been very pleased with Chubb.

Any other standouts from today?
    I went to the stadium practice today. My take is they have a long ways to go.

The offense really struggled to move the ball and had very few first downs. the running game was almost nonexistent, a lot tackles (plays blown dead anyway) at the LoS. Lyndsey didn't practice and they weren't going 100% so that may have something to do with it. All the QBs made some nice throws, Lock had some of the best throws out there. The defense was playing very aggressive in the secondary which also why the offense might have struggled.

Bolles looked bad. He was getting beat by Aaron Wallace. Anyone know much about that guy? I didn't think so, that's why it was so bad watching it. The Oline still looks like the weak link on offense but it is still early

They threw a lot to the TE and RBs, RBs were used in the passing game from the backfield as well as lining up in the slot and a lot of their targets were in the redzone. It was nice to see the use of them much increased over previous years. Fant was very inconsistent. Austin Fort made a few nice plays, he might be a sleeper at TE.

Fred Brown is a WR who made some nice plays, he might be someone to look out for. My impression of the little bit that the WR were targeted, it seems the WR group is wide open except for Sanders (he didn't practice). I don't recall any of the bigger name WR making a play the entire team period. I'm sure guys like Sutton and Hamilton will still be near the top but I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Tim Patrick move up. Langley made a few nice plays too, that surprised me since he just switched to WR from CB.

The play of the days was a pick 6 by Gotsis from Lock, I believe, on the -10. Gotsis booted the ball into the stands afterwards.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-27-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Lock looked like the best QB out there today

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Lock looked like the best QB out there today
    I'm not sure I would whole heartedly agree with you but there is an argument to be made for that. It seemed that they moved Lock up to play with the 2s midway through practice. It seemed Hogan was 2nd up to start practice but then they made a switch. I could be wrong about that though.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I went to the stadium practice today. My take is they have a long ways to go.

The offense really struggled to move the ball and had very few first downs. the running game was almost nonexistent, a lot tackles (plays blown dead anyway) at the LoS. Lyndsey didn't practice and they weren't going 100% so that may have something to do with it. All the QBs made some nice throws, Lock had some of the best throws out there. The defense was playing very aggressive in the secondary which also why the offense might have struggled.

Bolles looked bad. He was getting beat by Aaron Wallace. Anyone know much about that guy? I didn't think so, that's why it was so bad watching it. The Oline still looks like the weak link on offense but it is still early

They threw a lot to the TE and RBs, RBs were used in the passing game from the backfield as well as lining up in the slot and a lot of their targets were in the redzone. It was nice to see the use of them much increased over previous years. Fant was very inconsistent. Austin Fort made a few nice plays, he might be a sleeper at TE.

Fred Brown is a WR who made some nice plays, he might be someone to look out for. My impression of the little bit that the WR were targeted, it seems the WR group is wide open except for Sanders (he didn't practice). I don't recall any of the bigger name WR making a play the entire team period. I'm sure guys like Sutton and Hamilton will still be near the top but I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Tim Patrick move up. Langley made a few nice plays too, that surprised me since he just switched to WR from CB.

The play of the days was a pick 6 by Gotsis from Lock, I believe, on the -10. Gotsis booted the ball into the stands afterwards.
    Thanks for the recap.

Bolles takes one step forward and two back. A few days ago I heard he neutralized Chubb. If Bolles canít get it together with Munchak, maybe Wilkinson can step in. As for the line Itís still early but the days are clicking by quickly. I havenít heard much about Aaron Wallace.

Austin Fort has played well from all reports. With Butt struggling to get on the field seems like Fort could make the roster as the 3rd TE (I think heíll definitely make the roster if we carry four).

I think Lockís long pass over double coverage was to Brown? That play made the highlights for the day.

Langley seems to be one of the more consistent WRs since the opening of camp, at least from what Iíve read. Good for him.

Tough way to end the day for Lock as it seems he had a good day otherwise.

Hopefully the line will pull together soon.

Iím really impressed with Vic Fangio so far. The way he talks in post practice interviews just shows that he get football and knows what heís doing. Will that translate to the playing field? Who knows.

It's already been said, but when the team was a mess from the McDaniel era....John Fox was the perfect solution. His resume and experience were exactly what the team needed. We are again in a similar situation. What I like about this coaching staff though....even though they don't come with the experience that Fox brought...this coaching staff appears to bring the fresh idea of allowing rookies the opportunity's to play. Fox was NOT that way. Also,this coaching staff teaches .....and preaches basic football principals. I sure hope the product on the field produces results, or at least "goes down fighting till the very end".

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    It's already been said, but when the team was a mess from the McDaniel era....John Fox was the perfect solution. His resume and experience were exactly what the team needed. We are again in a similar situation. What I like about this coaching staff though....even though they don't come with the experience that Fox brought...this coaching staff appears to bring the fresh idea of allowing rookies the opportunity's to play. Fox was NOT that way. Also,this coaching staff teaches .....and preaches basic football principals. I sure hope the product on the field produces results, or at least "goes down fighting till the very end".
    Fangio may not have the head coaching experience but he has hands down the better staff than Fox had. I'm hoping Vic will lean on his guys when he finds himself in some tight spots. I am with you, but it's less hope and more faith that Vic is going to bring the nasty fight it out mentality

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Fangio may not have the head coaching experience but he has hands down the better staff than Fox had. I'm hoping Vic will lean on his guys when he finds himself in some tight spots. I am with you, but it's less hope and more faith that Vic is going to bring the nasty fight it out mentality
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    I like this coaching staff that has been assembled, especially Fangio and Munchak and so far I like the way camp is going as far as Fangio's policies go. I like that a lot of rookies are getting some playing time, some due to injuries. But this is a new staff and a lot of new players that have to be looked at. The offense needs to progress, I think it will. I like the repetitions of fundamentals; I think Fox was a lot about that too.
    I am very optimistic that this will be a great staff but there is noway to know that yet.

Not to get off topic too much but I think Fox had a pretty good coaching staff with experience... Mike McCoy has since went down a cliff but his offensive schemes in 2011, #1 in rushing the ball with Tebow the QB for over half the season and later seasons being a great pass offense lead to him getting a chance at head coach. Same thing with Dennis Allen as the DC getting his chance at HC as well. Adam Gase has had a relatively great career and is currently a HC. Eric Studesville, Clancy Barone, Dave Magazu and Richard Smith have some pretty good resumes.
    I have heard the narrative that Fox didn't give rookies opportunities to play, I don't think history backs that up ...
    Just in his first year here Von Miller made the pro bowl as a ROOKIE, an undrafted FA, Chris Harris played in every game started in 4 and was on the All-Rookie team. Rahim Moore started in 7 games, played in 15. Orlando Franklin started in all 16 games. Quinton Carter started in 10 games. Virgil Green started 3 games, was active for 15 and played in at least 3 other games. Every year there were rookies getting playing time, in games, I can list them its not worth taking up space for.

Even if we had to Van Millerís on this team, wait we kind of do (Bradley Chubb), I think Fox had better personnel.

Of course Philip Lindsay and Royce Freeman are already looking better than Ronnie Hilman and Knowshon Moreno.

Sanders is better than Decker!

However, Sutton is not better D Thomas (yet)
    Fant or Fort are not better than J Thomas (yet)

But what tips the scale in Foxys favor is the fact that he had PFM.

Fox will always have had a better QB but aside from that, the potential for the current crop to become better is in fact there.

Fangio IMO will turn out to be a better head coach when itís all said and done and all he needs to do so is just win one Super Bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I like this coaching staff that has been assembled, especially Fangio and Munchak and so far I like the way camp is going as far as Fangio's policies go. I like that a lot of rookies are getting some playing time, some due to injuries. But this is a new staff and a lot of new players that have to be looked at. The offense needs to progress, I think it will. I like the repetitions of fundamentals; I think Fox was a lot about that too.
    I am very optimistic that this will be a great staff but there is noway to know that yet.

Not to get off topic too much but I think Fox had a pretty good coaching staff with experience... Mike McCoy has since went down a cliff but his offensive schemes in 2011, #1 in rushing the ball with Tebow the QB for over half the season and later seasons being a great pass offense lead to him getting a chance at head coach. Same thing with Dennis Allen as the DC getting his chance at HC as well. Adam Gase has had a relatively great career and is currently a HC. Eric Studesville, Clancy Barone, Dave Magazu and Richard Smith have some pretty good resumes.
    I have heard the narrative that Fox didn't give rookies opportunities to play, I don't think history backs that up ...
    Just in his first year here Von Miller made the pro bowl as a ROOKIE, an undrafted FA, Chris Harris played in every game started in 4 and was on the All-Rookie team. Rahim Moore started in 7 games, played in 15. Orlando Franklin started in all 16 games. Quinton Carter started in 10 games. Virgil Green started 3 games, was active for 15 and played in at least 3 other games. Every year there were rookies getting playing time, in games, I can list them its not worth taking up space for.
    I liked Foxy but Iím just left wondering what the heck happened!

He had PFM running a great offense and a defense that featured Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, CHJ, Danny Trevathan. Later added Ware, Talib, Stewart and Ward!

All Big talent for a defensive minded head coach to utilize.

One could argue that Fox really only had a two year window when you Consider how fast PFM went down hill but then we realize that Gary Kubiak took the same personnel with a broken down PFM and won a super bowl!

It still just eats at me at times thinking why couldnít a defensive minded John Fox done more?

Why couldnít he put Rahim Moore and Tony Carter in better positions, giving them some type of help to an obvious weakness that eventually Joe Flacco attacked and prevailed against.

Like I said I like Fox a lot as a human being but Iím optimistic that coach Fangio will be the better head coach! He has almost as much talent as Fox had but with the obvious difference at the QB position however his current QB not only beat Manning but he also beat Andrew Luck and Tom Brady that year.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 07-28-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Even if we had to Van Millerís on this team, wait we kind of do (Bradley Chubb), I think Fox had better personnel.

Of course Philip Lindsay and Royce Freeman are already looking better than Ronnie Hilman and Knowshon Moreno.

Sanders is better than Decker!

However, Sutton is not better D Thomas (yet)
    Fant or Fort are not better than J Thomas (yet)

But what tips the scale in Foxys favor is the fact that he had PFM.

Fox will always have had a better QB but aside from that, the potential for the current crop to become better is in fact there.

Fangio IMO will turn out to be a better head coach when itís all said and done and all he needs to do so is just win one Super Bowl!
    I guess I was speaking strictly about the coaching staff. I do expect our defense to be boarder line elite.....but is probably the Homer in me LOL

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

I guess I was speaking strictly about the coaching staff. I do expect our defense to be boarder line elite.....but is probably the Homer in me LOL
    Thats a fair expectation, to be honest.

What may hold the D back from truly elite, is MLB. Everywhere else there are quality players, and we have several playmakers at all levels on the D. Except that MLB position.

Of course that may change. But I am not confident we have plugged the te / receiving back coverage hole we have had since Trevathan left.

Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post

What may hold the D back from truly elite, is MLB. Everywhere else there are quality players, and we have several playmakers at all levels on the D. Except that MLB position.

Of course that may change. But I am not confident we have plugged the te / receiving back coverage hole we have had since Trevathan left.
    That existed even with Trevethan in Denver, and had to do with the scheme that Phillips ran, and that Joseph and company decided to keep. When you run with 5 men on the LOS all the time, and almost always commit them all to coming forward you're asking a LB to go a long way to cover a player who's probably a little faster than him.

While the new scheme will often have players in similar positions to start, the bigger reliance on zone and the Broncos defense playing more match and read coverage it should fix things a lot. It'll make it a lot easier to cover those players than a standard cover 1/0 makes it.

For those unfamiliar with a read coverage, you'll have two defenders against two receivers, but they're reading the receivers and waiting for whichever one runs towards them. It's a zone coverage to start but turns to man coverage a lot quicker than a typical zone coverage would.

Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post

I think between Alexander Johnson and Josh Watson weíll be pretty good there! They both seemed to do a fine job the days I attend camp however that was just camp!