• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonny_Quest
    Playmaker
    • Dec 2010

Shanahan Visiting Training Camp

Mike's going to be back in the building for the first time in 11 years.

Seems tragic that it's had to be that long. Not sure if it's purely symbolic or if he's going to to consult on the season's plans. Seems like the latter since Fangio was the one that initially requested the visit (based on phrasing).

Shanny definitely needs to be inducted into the Ring of Fame in the next year or two. Long overdue imo...
  • L.M.
    Vitalstatistix
    • Oct 2006

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Hadez
      Football Immortal
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post

Seems tragic that it's had to be that long. Not sure if it's purely symbolic or if he's going to to consult on the season's plans. Seems like the latter since Fangio was the one that initially requested the visit (based on phrasing).

Shanny definitely needs to be inducted into the Ring of Fame in the next year or two. Long overdue imo...
      IMO there was a lot of effort put into casting shade onto Shanahan in order to get fans over the fact he was fired.

It was sad to see how some in Broncos Country are willing to treat the coach who has just as big a role as any in bringing us our first two Super Bowls Rings.
      What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
      effort x talent = skill
      effort x skill = achievement
      How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• broncolee
        Football Immortal
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
        IMO there was a lot of effort put into casting shade onto Shanahan in order to get fans over the fact he was fired.

It was sad to see how some in Broncos Country are willing to treat the coach who has just as big a role as any in bringing us our first two Super Bowls Rings.
        At what point is it okay to criticize a coach who stopped getting the job done?

I’m glad it’s to the point where he’s welcomed to visit. He deserves that level of respect and a spot in the ROF.
        Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• Sam_Z
          Banned User
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
          I would say it’s odd to see Shanahan pictured with Eliss but I suspect some time during the service for Pat Bowlen that two men may have buried their differences.

It’d be great to have Shanahan back in the building even as a consultant. I’ve always said, Shanahan never failed to put fourth a top offense, even the year he was fired but now he’d have only to worry about offense while Fangio and Elway run the defense!

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
            Football Immortal
            • Mar 2017

WoW could you imagine an Offense ran by Mike Shanahan with a Defense lead by Coach Vic Fangio I actually think Denver will see that in the New OC coming from under Mike's Son and our New and Awesome HC Fangio Leading this Team to another SB Victory !!

Comment

• Sam_Z
              Banned User
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
              WoW could you imagine an Offense ran by Mike Shanahan with a Defense lead by Coach Vic Fangio I actually think Denver will see that in the New OC coming from under Mike's Son and our New and Awesome HC Fangio Leading this Team to another SB Victory !!
              Not saying it’s happening it Elway has pushed in the past and I for one would greatly support the idea.

I also believe Shanahan wants it to!

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                Super Moderator
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post

There were probably hard feelings on both sides. And then there's the fact that Shanahan coached the Skins from 2010-13, so he wasn't coming back at that point. And then he's been consulting with his son for a few years so he's been busy there. The more surprising thing to me about the entire thing is that he didn't come back to the building/practice when Gary Kubiak appeared back in Denver.

As for the 11 years in-between Broncos practices, a part of me thinks that it's an acceptable time to have been banished for making the decision that keeping Bob Slowik as his DC was the hill that Mike Shanahan wanted to die on.

Comment

• L.M.
                  Vitalstatistix
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                  I would say it’s odd to see Shanahan pictured with Eliss but I suspect some time during the service for Pat Bowlen that two men may have buried their differences.

It’d be great to have Shanahan back in the building even as a consultant. I’ve always said, Shanahan never failed to put fourth a top offense, even the year he was fired but now he’d have only to worry about offense while Fangio and Elway run the defense!
                  I would like him to be a good resource for Scangarello. I hope he will be.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Sam_Z
                    Banned User
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                    I would like him to be a good resource for Scangarello. I hope he will be.
                    Oh no doubt! Brandon Stokely and Zach Bye said it best today by saying, “Scangarello is a branch but Mike is the root”!

Comment

• samparnell
                      Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                      Oh no doubt! Brandon Stokely and Zach Bye said it best today by saying, “Scangarello is a branch but Mike is the root”!
                      Goes all the way back to Bill Walsh.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• rst08tierney
                        VISIONS OF CONFETTI
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                        At what point is it okay to criticize a coach who stopped getting the job done?

I’m glad it’s to the point where he’s welcomed to visit. He deserves that level of respect and a spot in the ROF.
                        Mike wasn't a good GM but he was an excellent coach. Even with the crummy teams he put together on paper he still managed to win games.

Let's get on the same page though. Nothing was wrong with Shanahan the coach when it came to the x's and o's of the game on Sundays.

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                          Football Immortal
                          • Oct 2010

I love Shanny!
                          When he was in his prime here, it was great! Near the end of his time here, I was getting frustrated with him.
                          (By far my favorite All-Time Broncos HC.)

Comment

• -Rod-
                            #TeamBroncos
                            • Mar 2008

The return of Mike Shanahan was one of the best things in camp so far. He should always be welcomed in that building. I don't think he will ever return to the NFL full time unless someone gives him the HC job with GM powers. He won't settle for an OC job. However, he could have a role as a consultant for Scangarello and show up to share some ideas occasionally like DeMarcus Ware did with the edge rushers last season.
                            sigpic

Comment

• rst08tierney
                              VISIONS OF CONFETTI
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              The return of Mike Shanahan was one of the best things in camp so far. He should always be welcomed in that building. I don't think he will ever return to the NFL full time unless someone gives him the HC job with GM powers. He won't settle for an OC job. However, he could have a role as a consultant for Scangarello and show up to share some ideas occasionally like DeMarcus Ware did with the edge rushers last season.
                              Wonder how he feels about the new training center? Something he heavily pushed for in the mid 2000's.

Comment

Working...
                              X