Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Why he isn't in the ROF already is questionable, if not kinda disgraceful, for a coach that the fans still love. There's a lot of under the hat grumbling and animosity in the NFL and not with just this team. That's life. But, to take what a man has accomplished honestly and try to put a negative spin on it, is just childish. Put him up there already and why not the HOF, how many coaches can say they won back to back SBs, very few.

Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Mike wasn't a good GM but he was an excellent coach. Even with the crummy teams he put together on paper he still managed to win games.

Let's get on the same page though. Nothing was wrong with Shanahan the coach when it came to the x's and o's of the game on Sundays.
    Defense was his blind spot as a coach.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!

Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    Why he isn't in the ROF already is questionable, if not kinda disgraceful, for a coach that the fans still love. There's a lot of under the hat grumbling and animosity in the NFL and not with just this team. That's life. But, to take what a man has accomplished honestly and try to put a negative spin on it, is just childish. Put him up there already and why not the HOF, how many coaches can say they won back to back SBs, very few.
    He has not been eligible for the Hall of Fame. In order to be eligible a player or coach must have been retired for 5 years. When the eligibility window closed for this year's induction he had yet to be out of the NFL for 5 years. The initial nomination period for the 2019 HOF class closed on March 1, 2018 and Mike Shanahan didn't become eligible until December 30th, 2018. He will be eligible starting in the 2020 class. Assuming he doesn't start working again, in which case the clock would reset and it would be 5 years after he was away from that job.

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroe...n-process-faq/

As for the Ring of Fame, we need to remember there are two sides to everything. We know there were hard feelings both ways until recently, perhaps Shanahan didn't want to accept that honour? Or perhaps he doesn't want to accept it until he feels he's done with coaching? I have no idea either way, but there could be multiple layers to this rather than just the most visible.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    The Browncos of 2005 was Shanahans greatest collection of another mans trash ever assembled that took a team to the AFCCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He has not been eligible for the Hall of Fame. In order to be eligible a player or coach must have been retired for 5 years. When the eligibility window closed for this year's induction he had yet to be out of the NFL for 5 years. The initial nomination period for the 2019 HOF class closed on March 1, 2018 and Mike Shanahan didn't become eligible until December 30th, 2018. He will be eligible starting in the 2020 class. Assuming he doesn't start working again, in which case the clock would reset and it would be 5 years after he was away from that job.

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroe...n-process-faq/

As for the Ring of Fame, we need to remember there are two sides to everything. We know there were hard feelings both ways until recently, perhaps Shanahan didn't want to accept that honour? Or perhaps he doesn't want to accept it until he feels he's done with coaching? I have no idea either way, but there could be multiple layers to this rather than just the most visible.
    Ok thanks. I guess I needed that little bit of education you just laid on me. But, it would be nice to see Shanny's name up in the stadium though and would be a treat to see him on the sidelines somewhere as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    Ok thanks. I guess I needed that little bit of education you just laid on me. But, it would be nice to see Shanny's name up in the stadium though and would be a treat to see him on the sidelines somewhere as well.
    I definitely agree. I'd like for him to be in the Hall of Fame, and hope he gets in quickly. And I also agree he belongs in the Ring of Fame. Hopefully him finally being back at Dove Valley is the first step in a quick process.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Look at how many times Shanahan's defense was either top 10 in points or yards allowed. It may surprise you.

You can check almost any year from 1996 to 2006.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?season...=REG&Submit=Go

Still think he was blind to defense?
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Look at how many times Shanahan's defense was either top 10 in points or yards allowed. It may surprise you.

He went through how many DCs? Lets go through the list:
    2000: Greg Robinson
    2001-02: Ray Rhodes
    2003-06: Larry Coyer
    2007-08: Bob Slowik

That's 4 in 9 years, and doesn't include Jim Bates who was hired in 2007 initially to be the DC but then moved to Assistant Head Coach so that Bob Slowik could be DC. It's really strange how Shanahan hitched his wagon to Slowik, who was the second worst DC in Broncos history, behind (or ahead of) only Wink Martindale.

Then if we go through the wasted draft picks and poor defensive signings. It's no secret that Shanahan is an excellent offensive mind, great offensive evaluator but really struggles identifying Defensive players and Coordinators.

There were probably hard feelings on both sides. And then there's the fact that Shanahan coached the Skins from 2010-13, so he wasn't coming back at that point. And then he's been consulting with his son for a few years so he's been busy there. The more surprising thing to me about the entire thing is that he didn't come back to the building/practice when Gary Kubiak appeared back in Denver.

As for the 11 years in-between Broncos practices, a part of me thinks that it's an acceptable time to have been banished for making the decision that keeping Bob Slowik as his DC was the hill that Mike Shanahan wanted to die on.
    In the "Shanny is a God" fan group, lets not really forget what Shanny also was. He was the one that shunned Elway after he retired, and Elway was invited back by McDaniels in the 2010 off season. Shanahan late in Denver turned into a late career Al Davis clone, and he never produced anything without Kubiak at his side, whereas Kubiak did not seem to need Shanny.

The funny thing with peoples selective memories is how "flawless" Elway and Shanny have become as memories fade, and we only see Highlights. Every Rookie QB with growing pains, we have had since is compared not to the Rookie Elway but to what Elway became once he got significant NFL experience. No one seems to remember this Elwayhttps://youtu.be/vJcaQMLZksg?t=867 and ditto the Shanahan that turned a perennial playoff team into a bunch of primadonnas and water bearers.

That's 4 in 9 years, and doesn't include Jim Bates who was hired in 2007 initially to be the DC but then moved to Assistant Head Coach so that Bob Slowik could be DC. It's really strange how Shanahan hitched his wagon to Slowik, who was the second worst DC in Broncos history, behind (or ahead of) only Wink Martindale.

Then if we go through the wasted draft picks and poor defensive signings. It's no secret that Shanahan is an excellent offensive mind, great offensive evaluator but really struggles identifying Defensive players and Coordinators.
    It is highly debatable if Wink was as bad as you state. While McDaniels had a good draft eye for offensive talent, and not horrible on defensive ditto, we had one elite pass rusher in Doom and he was lost for the season. Slowik coached Bailey in his prime, Lynch, Doom and DJ Williams...

Wink was given blanks to defend with and Slowik failed while bringing a machine gun to knife fight.

Statistically, Nolans 2009 defense from week 7 and onwards did not outperform Winks 2010 unit.
    Last edited by BroncoFanDK; 07-23-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾

We first have to answer the question of how good was Shanahan at hiding defensive deficiencies through offensive prowess.

In 1996, when he had a future Hall of Famer at quarterback, the Broncos had the number one ranked run defense. How did that work out against the Jaguars in the playoffs?

Why did Shanahan allow the defense to blitz Ben Roethlisberger in the 2005 AFCCG? The way to beat Ben that season was to force him to read the defense. A head coach has to at least be aware of the obvious things in all aspects of the game and make sure his coordinators are preparing accordingly.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!

Martindale has become a very good DC in the NFL. Shanahan probably thought he saw something in Slowik that he thought would allow him to be great.

The Super Bowl winning years the Broncos played great defense along with a strong run game that to me was the difference in winning as opposed to the previous SB blowouts.

This is off topic from all the defensive coordinator talk.

Last night Tommy Nalen and Dmac were complaining about how a return of Mike Shanahan would only hurt Rich Scangarellos progress as a Coordinator and he doesnít need anyone looking over his shoulder.

Wow, I didnít realize this was more about his growth than it is about a franchise getting back to their winning ways.

I donít care if Rich Scangarello doesnít want somebody looking over his shoulder.

I donít care if people are going to say things like ďthereís too many chiefs and not enough IndiansĒ.

We have two stars in this team that are on the same level as Lawrence Taylor and Darrell Green. However they are pretty much being wasted while Elway experiments with these offensive coordinators.

Although I support him, Rich isnít a proven guy, in fact we know nothing about him.

Mike Shanahan is on the level of Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick? As Denver Broncos fan we would all agree with this because of everything that he has done for the organization and his longevity with the team.

Hiwever the national consensus is going to say that he is on par with the Jimmy Johnsonís And Pete Carrollís of the league.
    Shanahan in my opinion is far better than that and we all know it but the national audience does not.

Mike needs to get back into the game to cement his true legacy and win another title or two. The only logical place for him to do so, would be here in Denver right now.

We need that strong offense to get Bin Miller, CHJ and Derek Wolfe another Super Bowl or two before they retire.

I fully support John but I strongly feel that Rich could use Mikes help. Imagine if Mike was working with the Rams last season. McVay certainly wouldnít had been a loud to blow the play calling in the Super Bowl like he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    This is off topic from all the defensive coordinator talk.

Last night Tommy Nalen and Dmac were complaining about how a return of Mike Shanahan would only hurt Rich Scangarellos progress as a Coordinator and he doesnít need anyone looking over his shoulder.

Wow, I didnít realize this was more about his growth than it is about a franchise getting back to their winning ways.

I donít care if Rich Scangarello doesnít want somebody looking over his shoulder.

I donít care if people are going to say things like ďthereís too many chiefs and not enough IndiansĒ.

We have two stars in this team that are on the same level as Lawrence Taylor and Darrell Green. However they are pretty much being wasted while Elway experiments with these offensive coordinators.

Although I support him, Rich isnít a proven guy, in fact we know nothing about him.

Mike Shanahan is on the level of Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick? As Denver Broncos fan we would all agree with this because of everything that he has done for the organization and his longevity with the team.

Hiwever the national consensus is going to say that he is on par with the Jimmy Johnsonís And Pete Carrollís of the league.
    Shanahan in my opinion is far better than that and we all know it but the national audience does not.

Mike needs to get back into the game to cement his true legacy and win another title or two. The only logical place for him to do so, would be here in Denver right now.

We need that strong offense to get Bin Miller, CHJ and Derek Wolfe another Super Bowl or two before they retire.

I fully support John but I strongly feel that Rich could use Mikes help. Imagine if Mike was working with the Rams last season. McVay certainly wouldnít had been a loud to blow the play calling in the Super Bowl like he did.
    Did you seriously just equate Chris Harris to the Hall of Famer Darrell Green.. I think Harris is very good, but Green was faster, bigger, stronger,more consistent, lasted in a tougher league for 20 years.... CHJ probably won't even get HoF discussion, and not because of the bias broncos players get.
    GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!