Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 68
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21,131
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Our OL was GREAT then. But there's still 55 more years to consider.

    Did you see Craig Morton get killed by Dallas in Super Bowl 12? IMO, that was the worst OL in Super Bowl history.

    How about watching Floyd Little juke a guy out, run over another guy, then drag another guy 4 yards.....all for a 2 yard gain.

    How was our OL for Elway during the 80s?

    How has our OL been recently? They've been one of the worst in the league for the past few years.

    Our OL was below average in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 2010s.

    I agree. We have had some very good Oline players throughout the years but I think as a whole over the entirety of the franchise, I would say that is one of the weakest position groups. Right now, it's been close to 20 years they have been pretty bad. I like the attitude that Ron Leary had in the article I posted yesterday...He said the line was tired of hearing how bad they are from everyone and are taking it seriously to do away with that impression.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,212
    Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I don't think there is a "worse" position in Broncos football. We have been blessed with Great players at every position across the board. With some of the best at their respective positions. I could go through a list at each position, but it would take all day. Even our Kickers have been record holders Elam and Prater and McManus gets an honorable mention cause he didn't miss a single field goal in the playoffs on the way to the Superbowl if I remember correctly, and that was huge.

    I would think it would be hard pressed to find a postion that we haven't had very talented players at.
    I would add Jim Turner and Rich Karlis as notable kickers.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rainier, WA
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    How was our OL for Elway during the 80s?
    The main problem is other than Dave Studdard they were undersized compared to the opponents DL's, especially those we'd meet in the SB. Guys like Keith Bishop and Billy Bryan were strong overachievers but at some point they were just consistently overmatched. I still think the main reason our 10 - 0 lead vanished and we didn't score another point in SBXX was Studdard went out early with an injury and no one could slow down Dexter Manley.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    The main problem is other than Dave Studdard they were undersized compared to the opponents DL's, especially those we'd meet in the SB. Guys like Keith Bishop and Billy Bryan were strong overachievers but at some point they were just consistently overmatched. I still think the main reason our 10 - 0 lead vanished and we didn't score another point in SBXX was Studdard went out early with an injury and no one could slow down Dexter Manley.
    The name of I never speak...

    defensive back, first name of the great dallas (and short term Bronco) running back, Dorsett. Last name of a flower.

    If there is one single player most responsible for that game, it was he.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,048
    There was about a decade from the early 80ís to the mid 90ís when the Broncos didnít have a pro bowl caliber DT.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    There was about a decade from the early 80’s to the mid 90’s when the Broncos didn’t have a pro bowl caliber DT.
    I think that continued into the 2000's+

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    There was about a decade from the early 80ís to the mid 90ís when the Broncos didnít have a pro bowl caliber DT.
    Greg Kragen and Rulon Jones were Pro Bowlers in the Eighties and Jones was All-Pro once in that decade. Denver played a three-man odd front at that time.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rainier, WA
    Posts
    3,296
    Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post
    The name of I never speak...

    defensive back, first name of the great dallas (and short term Bronco) running back, Dorsett. Last name of a flower.

    If there is one single player most responsible for that game, it was he.
    I know exactly who you're talking about...but my point wasn't why the redskins kept putting up TD after TD in the 2nd Q nightmare, it was that we never scored another point once Studdard went out because Elway was running for his life as no one else could possibly block Manley...
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,048
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Greg Kragen and Rulon Jones were Pro Bowlers in the Eighties and Jones was All-Pro once in that decade. Denver played a three-man odd front at that time.
    Jones was a DE and Kragen was a 280 pound NT who was as well known for making tackles 5 yards down the field as he was for making a pro bowl.
    Didnít Jones line up on the edge most of the time? I donít remember him being a run stuffer. He was only 275.
    Michael Dean Perry was the first I can remember being dominant on the interior after Ruben Carter retired. Denver had a long string of undersized guys who would get pushed around against NFC competition.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 07-25-2019 at 05:07 AM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,742
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    I don't consider having one player that played for us for a few years making the Hall of Fame justification for over-rating 60 years of performance by all the other Bronco OL in 60 years. If we're going to use your "logic" then we should agree that QB is historically the Broncos' strongest position, since both Elway and Manning were All Pros and Hall of Famers, assuming Peyton makes it. Or RB, since TD and Floyd are both in the Hall. I think we will also have multiple safeties in the Hall soon, and a couple more that should be in. Lynch, Dawkins and Atwater all have a good shot.

    While I agree the Broncos have been under-rated over the years, we did have many other players make Pro Bowls before the mid 80s.
    untill mecklenburg is in the hall. i will consider it snubing broncos. cause the guy deserves it. i am sure there are a few others.

    i also feel the D-line has been a strength sense 2014. i expect this to continue with walker and Jones.

    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Jones was a DE and Kragen was a 280 pound NT who was as well known for making tackles 5 yards down the field as he was for making a pro bowl.
    Didnít Jones line up on the edge most of the time? I donít remember him being a run stuffer. He was only 275.
    Michael Dean Perry was the first I can remember being dominant on the interior after Ruben Carter retired. Denver had a long string of undersized guys who would get pushed around against NFC competition.
    DE in a three man odd front isn't the same as in a four man split front since one or both 4/5 techs are sometimes eagled to a 3 (both is double eagle)
    As far as Jones and Kragen are concerned, you said no pro bowl DL, but they were in the Eighties.
    That is all.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,048
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    DE in a three man odd front isn't the same as in a four man split front since one or both 4/5 techs are sometimes eagled to a 3 (both is double eagle)
    As far as Jones and Kragen are concerned, you said no pro bowl DL, but they were in the Eighties.
    That is all.
    Indeed.
    Have a good day Sam.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Roskilde, Denmark
    Posts
    2,834
    Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I don't think there is a "worse" position.....Even our Kickers have been record holders Elam and Prater and McManus gets an honorable mention cause he didn't miss a single field goal in the playoffs on the way to the Superbowl if I remember correctly, and that was huge.

    I would think it would be hard pressed to find a postion that we haven't had very talented players at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I would add Jim Turner and Rich Karlis as notable kickers.
    I don't think there is any reason to say "even" about our kickers. We have not had bad kickers for well over 3 decades. If we take the last 36 years I think most teams would envy our QBs for 20 of those.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    untill mecklenburg is in the hall. i will consider it snubing broncos. cause the guy deserves it. i am sure there are a few others.

    i also feel the D-line has been a strength sense 2014. i expect this to continue with walker and Jones.
    I would offer up Randy Gradishar. I have a Karl Mecklenburg jersey. You are right these late 70's and 80's guys are quite under appreciated by the HOF.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,733
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    I don't consider having one player that played for us for a few years making the Hall of Fame justification for over-rating 60 years of performance by all the other Bronco OL in 60 years. If we're going to use your "logic" then we should agree that QB is historically the Broncos' strongest position, since both Elway and Manning were All Pros and Hall of Famers, assuming Peyton makes it. Or RB, since TD and Floyd are both in the Hall. I think we will also have multiple safeties in the Hall soon, and a couple more that should be in. Lynch, Dawkins and Atwater all have a good shot.

    While I agree the Broncos have been under-rated over the years, we did have many other players make Pro Bowls before the mid 80s.
    Alright peace on this topic. You are probably more correct about the overall picture. Though I feel theyíve had some quality a little over a decade itís probably fair overall to say itís been weak more times than itís been solid.

    And I would have a hard time arguing a weaker position group on the offensive side of the ball.

    I feel like the hardest thing to do in football is build a quality healthy oline though. And we wouldnít be the only franchise to struggle with it consistently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •