• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkB
    All-Time Great
    • Nov 2011

Phillip Lindsay #68 on NFL's Top 100 Players of 2019

Two young running backs made the Top 100 list for the first time after an amazing 2018 season. Find out who else landed in spots 70 to 61.

Phillip Lindsay

RB
    Broncos
    2018: not in league

If you asked any non-Bronco if they knew who Phillip Lindsay was at this time last year and they said yes, they were lying. Lindsay was an undrafted rookie from the University of Colorado and bullied his way up the running back depth chart before becoming the starter midway through the season. In his eight starts, Lindsay scored seven touchdowns, including two in his breakout 157-yard game versus the Bengals in Week 13. More consistent quarterback play ( Joe Flacco vs. Case Keenum) and a better offensive line (Mike Munchak is the new o-line coach) would help Lindsay avoid a sophomore slump.
    Last edited by MarkB; 07-25-2019, 07:09 PM.
    sigpic
    2019 Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay
    2013 Adopt-a-poster: #87Birdman, AZ Snake Fan,
    BSD, Housh, Humcalc and Sophia
  • Kyousukeneko
    Football Immortal
    • May 2010

lets compare phillip lindsey to a clinton portis in this offense. could be a 1500 yard back next year.
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• JvDub95
      Football Immortal
      • Jan 2005

I haven't been this excited about a RB since Portis, I love Lindsay and think he is going to have a very successful season

​​​​

Comment

• JW7
        Captain
        • Apr 2009

Well deserved. Guy has such a pop to the way he runs. He plays with so much heart. I'm hoping our young guys follow his lead because this team needs that kind of identity.
        sigpic

Comment

• jdhdiggs
          Starter
          • Oct 2005

His vision and attitude is TD-esque and is a bit faster/quicker than Portis. Sky's the limit if he stays healthy.

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
            Football Immortal
            • May 2010

Originally posted by jdhdiggs View Post
            His vision and attitude is TD-esque and is a bit faster/quicker than Portis. Sky's the limit if he stays healthy.
            i am not sure if he is faster then portis in his prime here. Portis ran a 4.33 out of college and lindsey ran a 4.40 which are at least comparable, but i don't think you can call lindsey faster then portis when he was here. before he bulked up for washington.
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm

Comment

• Houshmazode
              The Mountaineer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
              i am not sure if he is faster then portis in his prime here. Portis ran a 4.33 out of college and lindsey ran a 4.40 which are at least comparable, but i don't think you can call lindsey faster then portis when he was here. before he bulked up for washington.
              I'd say Lindsay plays faster.
              :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
              sigpic

Comment

• Joshua2585
                All-Pro
                • Jun 2011

After watching some highlights of Portis... they seem to move very similarly to each other. Quick cuts and bursts of speed.

Comment

• DenverBlood
                  Football Immortal
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                  Was going to say this. Just because someone runs faster in shorts and tennis shoes doesn’t mean they run faster with pads.

It could be comparable but Lindsay plays like a lightning bullet.
                  sigpic

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jun 2007

I think he gets to top speed quicker especially in and out of his cuts. But I think Portis would probably get him in a straight ahead race. Portis had a little more wiggle in his hips too, at least more than what Lyndsay showed last season IMO.

But we’re splitting hairs here. Portis was phenomenal his first two seasons and Lyndsay was a revelation last season.
                    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 07-26-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Hadez
                      Football Immortal
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                      I think he gets to top speed quicker especially in and out of his cuts. But I think Portis would probably get him in a straight ahead race. Portis had a little more wiggle in his hips too, at least more than what Lyndsay showed last season IMO.

But we’re splitting hairs here. Portis was phenomenal his first two seasons and Lyndsay was a revelation last season.
                      I think it has to do with Lindsay's vision. It truly amazes me how many times Lindsay ran untouched for 10+ yards. Not just on outside runs but sometimes he found a hole between the tackles that allowed him to run untouched for 10+ yards. Yea some of it is how good our run blocking was at multiple levels but the rook was still able to anticipate the holes with the speed to fully take advantage of them.

Lindsay is also deceptively powerful. Not saying he is a power back...by that I mean if the defense tries to arm tackle him Lindsay has shown he will run through it. Another back who had Lindsay's speed and moves was Tatum Bell but once the defenders got their hands on Tatum he went down.

It will be very interesting to see how defensive coords try to limit these kinds of runs and how our offensive coaches try to exploit this. IMO our run blocking will get better so it is just up to the coaching to push this beast to the next level.
                      What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                      effort x talent = skill
                      effort x skill = achievement
                      How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                        Football Immortal
                        • May 2010

i think portis is comparable at least. lindsey is faster then his washington days, but i think they are very comparable in the broncos. i mean i don't think you can compare the washington portis to the denver portis. when portis went to washington he put on 20 pounds and added more power to his game. but when he was in denver at 200 pounds he was just as explosive as lindsey. i feel they also had a simular body type and lindsey is just shorter so it looks like he is moving faster.
                        Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 07-26-2019, 10:14 PM.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm

Comment

• Zealander
                          ING!
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          I think it has to do with Lindsay's vision. It truly amazes me how many times Lindsay ran untouched for 10+ yards. Not just on outside runs but sometimes he found a hole between the tackles that allowed him to run untouched for 10+ yards. Yea some of it is how good our run blocking was at multiple levels but the rook was still able to anticipate the holes with the speed to fully take advantage of them.

Lindsay is also deceptively powerful. Not saying he is a power back...by that I mean if the defense tries to arm tackle him Lindsay has shown he will run through it. Another back who had Lindsay's speed and moves was Tatum Bell but once the defenders got their hands on Tatum he went down.

It will be very interesting to see how defensive coords try to limit these kinds of runs and how our offensive coaches try to exploit this. IMO our run blocking will get better so it is just up to the coaching to push this beast to the next level.
                          He's very gifted...

The vision is incredible.

Sometimes, often he would shoot a gap before you knew it was there. It's like he had 10+ yards before the defense even found him. No time to react to that speed.

Then he had those runs where he'd get the ball, hesitate to allow the play to develop, survey the field, find his gap and go.

We are lucky to have this kid.

Comment

• CanDB
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

This is a very good post, among other good posts. He did surprise me how many yards he made before being hit, on a team with a less than stellar Oline, and unspectacular pass game. Is there a stat for YBC....Yards Before Contact?

If so, it would mean more than one thing of course. It would definitely be an indication of Oline performance, play design would be a factor, but a lot of it would relate to a player's elusiveness, speed and vision. And for an undrafted RB, who made the most of his rookie season, it would measure much of what you have described.

And I agree, for a back who is not that big, he has power. I like his toolbox! Especially the "heart" related component!:thumb:

Comment

• Hadez
                              Football Immortal
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              This is a very good post, among other good posts. He did surprise me how many yards he made before being hit, on a team with a less than stellar Oline, and unspectacular pass game. Is there a stat for YBC....Yards Before Contact?

If so, it would mean more than one thing of course. It would definitely be an indication of Oline performance, play design would be a factor, but a lot of it would relate to a player's elusiveness, speed and vision. And for an undrafted RB, who made the most of his rookie season, it would measure much of what you have described.

And I agree, for a back who is not that big, he has power. I like his toolbox! Especially the "heart" related component!:thumb:
                              There is the stat somewhere Can.

Last year during our high moment game stretch when we thought maybe we could make the playoffs the broadcasters showed this stat during the game.

Actually they showed two really interesting stats at that time.

Lindsay was top 5 in the NFL in yards before contact.

Freeman was top 5 in the NFL in yards after contact.

There were min carries pre-qualifiers but I do not remember what they were. I can figure out what game this came out if you want but it will take some time.
                              What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                              effort x talent = skill
                              effort x skill = achievement
                              How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

Working...
                              X