Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    From at least one article there appears to have been a flip with Hogan and Lock. That was the other observation I noted. I thought that Lock played better.
    DREW LOCK
    QB, DENVER BRONCOS

9News' Mike Klis reports Drew Lock took all second-team reps at Sunday's practice.
    The coaching staff has been vocal about their issues with their second-round rookie, but Lock officially surpassed Kevin Hogan as Joe Flacco's backup at today's practice. Hogan is now the scout team quarterback with rookie Brett Rypien sliding into the No. 3 spot. Expect to see a lot more Lock during the second preseason game.

RELATED: Kevin Hogan, Brett Rypien
    SOURCE: 9news.com
    Aug 11, 2019, 6:23 PM ET

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Giving Hogan reps from day 1 was a waste of time. This here was inevitable and he shouldn't of even been around here for camp. Forcing a veteran arm into the mix as a potential backup is a proven waste of a time, and it looks to have once again rang true. Hopefully now we see Lock the rest of the way getting every single other pre-season rep when Joe Flacco isn't in the game. I would say Hogan will be cut after this week.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Giving Hogan reps from day 1 was a waste of time. This here was inevitable and he shouldn't of even been around here for camp. Forcing a veteran arm into the mix as a potential backup is a proven waste of a time, and it looks to have once again rang true. Hopefully now we see Lock the rest of the way getting every single other pre-season rep when Joe Flacco isn't in the game. I would say Hogan will be cut after this week.
    I think he was just an extra arm to get through the extra preseason game and to give Lock a hurdle while rather minuscule to get past and build some confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I think he was just an extra arm to get through the extra preseason game and to give Lock a hurdle while rather minuscule to get past and build some confidence.
    Is it possible that Hogan stays on to run the scout team.

If Drew Lock ends up having to run the scout team against a very good Vic Fangio defense throughout the season, it might hurt his confidence more than any of these preseason opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

If Drew Lock ends up having to run the scout team against a very good Vic Fangio defense throughout the season, it might hurt his confidence more than any of these preseason opponents.
    If his confidence will be hurt by struggling on scout team, then I think it's pretty clear that he probably isn't going to be the long-term answer for us here. The only way to learn is by getting reps, and Lock is going to need those scout team reps throughout the season to develop. And honestly, he was only a second round pick, we don't have that much invested in him, so if he can't handle it, 2020 is going to have some quality quarterback prospects so he better swim when he is in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

I think itíll likely be Rypien running scout team, but scout team is kind of designed for the defense to get the best of the QB or at least thatís the hope. Flacco hasnít been the model for health recently so I think Lock will need to spend as much time getting the offensive gameplan down before he worries about emulating another teamís QB on scout team.

But Rypien has limitations so Lock might have to. I really just canít see us keeping Hogan and I doubt anyone would bring him on as a backup so heíd still be available if everything went south in a hurry.

Edit: I also think the 49ers backup job bears some monitoring. While neither Mullens or Beathard won a lot of games both have showed some ability. And with scheme familiarity one of them might be a better option than Rypien or Hogan should we go with 3 QBs.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 08-13-2019 at 06:18 AM.

I think itíll likely be Rypien running scout team, but scout team is kind of designed for the defense to get the best of the QB or at least thatís the hope. Flacco hasnít been the model for health recently so I think Lock will need to spend as much time getting the offensive gameplan down before he worries about emulating another teamís QB on scout team.

But Rypien has limitations so Lock might have to. I really just canít see us keeping Hogan and I doubt anyone would bring him on as a backup so heíd still be available if everything went south in a hurry.

Edit: I also think the 49ers backup job bears some monitoring. While neither Mullens or Beathard won a lot of games both have showed some ability. And with scheme familiarity one of them might be a better option than Rypien or Hogan should we go with 3 QBs.
    See I personally disagree. While I think Kevin Hogan is bad and has max limitations he has a lot more nfl experience than two rookies. And he seems to be a lot more comfortable in the playbook than they are. I severely doubt Elway is going to risk Flaccoís backup being two rookies. I think Hogan is a lock (no pun intended) to make the roster in the event Flacco does get injured.

I donít think there is any desire to throw either rookie to the wolves this year. The season is down the drain if Flacco gets hurt but I believe theyíll do it with Hogan to guarantee Lock can learn and develop all year.

If anything I think Rypien is the one who has no shot to make the roster. Practice squad at best.

We may not like Hogan as backup but i really just donít see them risking Lock or Rypien coming in in Mid October when Flacco has a back sprain.

Only caveat is if a better veteran is released that we can sign.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    See I personally disagree. While I think Kevin Hogan is bad and has max limitations he has a lot more nfl experience than two rookies. And he seems to be a lot more comfortable in the playbook than they are. I severely doubt Elway is going to risk Flacco’s backup being two rookies. I think Hogan is a lock (no pun intended) to make the roster in the event Flacco does get injured.

I don’t think there is any desire to throw either rookie to the wolves this year. The season is down the drain if Flacco gets hurt but I believe they’ll do it with Hogan to guarantee Lock can learn and develop all year.

If anything I think Rypien is the one who has no shot to make the roster. Practice squad at best.

We may not like Hogan as backup but i really just don’t see them risking Lock or Rypien coming in in Mid October when Flacco has a back sprain.

hogan is not the answer at the QB spot. he has looked bad against nfl second teams. lock has had alot of improvement between game 1 and game 2. it look hopeful. he still need to work on his footwork and throwing with his body but he can make some good throws.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    See I personally disagree. While I think Kevin Hogan is bad and has max limitations he has a lot more nfl experience than two rookies. And he seems to be a lot more comfortable in the playbook than they are. I severely doubt Elway is going to risk Flaccoís backup being two rookies. I think Hogan is a lock (no pun intended) to make the roster in the event Flacco does get injured.

I donít think there is any desire to throw either rookie to the wolves this year. The season is down the drain if Flacco gets hurt but I believe theyíll do it with Hogan to guarantee Lock can learn and develop all year.

We may not like Hogan as backup but i really just donít see them risking Lock or Rypien coming in in Mid October when Flacco has a back sprain.

I just donít see any team rushing to sign Hogan even as a backup so the only reason I can see us keeping him is if weíre that worried about someone picking him up and having some other journeyman come in with very little familiarity with the system. But I donít see that as enough reason to keep Hogan over one of these other talented players fighting against a numbers game at some of our stronger positions. Guys like Reed, Holland, Marshall, Carter, Muhammad, and Jackson. But then again Iím just against 3 QBs on the roster in general.

If Flacco goes down the season is likely down the drain anyway. If the team was that worried about Lockís confidence then I think they wouldnít have drafted him. Even then they could still bring Rypien up off the practice squad which is where I think he ends up although again if theyíre worried about hurting his confidence going forward I think starting another QB would harm it more than getting fed to the wolves.

I just don’t see any team rushing to sign Hogan even as a backup so the only reason I can see us keeping him is if we’re that worried about someone picking him up and having some other journeyman come in with very little familiarity with the system. But I don’t see that as enough reason to keep Hogan over one of these other talented players fighting against a numbers game at some of our stronger positions. Guys like Reed, Holland, Marshall, Carter, Muhammad, and Jackson. But then again I’m just against 3 QBs on the roster in general.

If Flacco goes down the season is likely down the drain anyway. If the team was that worried about Lock’s confidence then I think they wouldn’t have drafted him. Even then they could still bring Rypien up off the practice squad which is where I think he ends up although again if they’re worried about hurting his confidence going forward I think starting another QB would harm it more than getting fed to the wolves.

I would rather have Hogan go to the Practice Squad only because I would not be worried one bit about some other team swooping in and stealing him however that would be the case with Rypien someone would for sure steal him and I liked what I saw from Rypien in the Hall Of Fame Game !! I can see the Future and it could be Drew Lock with a Back Up in Rypien in the Near Future 2-3 Years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    I would rather have Hogan go to the Practice Squad only because I would not be worried one bit about some other team swooping in and stealing him however that would be the case with Rypien someone would for sure steal him and I liked what I saw from Rypien in the Hall Of Fame Game !! I can see the Future and it could be Drew Lock with a Back Up in Rypien in the Near Future 2-3 Years from now.
    I don't believe Hogan has any Practice Squad eligibility left. The criteria is a player can only have up to 2 accrued seasons, Hogan has 3. A player also can have been a game day active up to 9 times, Hogan has played in 8 total games in his career and was active for a bunch of Broncos games last season.

I don't know that teams will be that active in trying to steal Rypien. Every year fans all over the league think that any player released will be picked up by someone else only for that player to not be claimed, last year in Denver that was Jeff Holland. But having said that QBs are different, and I wonder if Rypien's lack of playing time last week might have something to do with them wanting to get him to the PS? Teams might not want to pick him up if there's no film of him, except for the HOF game.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I don't believe Hogan has any Practice Squad eligibility left. The criteria is a player can only have up to 2 accrued seasons, Hogan has 3. A player also can have been a game day active up to 9 times, Hogan has played in 8 total games in his career and was active for a bunch of Broncos games last season.

I don't know that teams will be that active in trying to steal Rypien. Every year fans all over the league think that any player released will be picked up by someone else only for that player to not be claimed, last year in Denver that was Jeff Holland. But having said that QBs are different, and I wonder if Rypien's lack of playing time last week might have something to do with them wanting to get him to the PS? Teams might not want to pick him up if there's no film of him, except for the HOF game.
    We just released Holland and he just got picked up off waivers

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    We just released Holland and he just got picked up off waivers
    I'm talking about last year in Training Camp. Everyone freaked out that Denver couldn't release Holland because he'd be claimed for sure, they released him and he went unclaimed and spent most of the year on Denver's practice squad, before being called up.

Every single year Denver fans (and really all team's fans) think that if they release Player X he'll 100% be claimed, and then most of the time those players go unclaimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Exactly, Flacco is what he is, he wasn’t going to magically turn into Peyton Manning. The offense is going to be based around Lindsay and Freeman, with hopefully a good defense. If we fall behind early in games and have to relay on Flacco’s arm, it’s going to get ugly.
    Is it regular season Manning or post season Manning you are hoping for?
    Flacco is easily the 2nd most physically gifted QB we have had since Elway, and he has shown that he shows up in big games.
    What Lock is or will become is far from given at this point, but he does not blow the socks of what Chris Simms did in preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I'm talking about last year in Training Camp. Everyone freaked out that Denver couldn't release Holland because he'd be claimed for sure, they released him and he went unclaimed and spent most of the year on Denver's practice squad, before being called up.

Every single year Denver fans (and really all team's fans) think that if they release Player X he'll 100% be claimed, and then most of the time those players go unclaimed.

However the case can be said about the QB Sloter last year. QB's are a different animal I would hate to lose 2 QB's that show promise in a row. On a side note look at Chad Kelly and what he did last week playing for the Colts SMH !