• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megalodon30
    Football Immortal
    • Sep 2019

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    I get that take. The likelihood is very low they pull out a win next week, but that’s why they play the games.
    Hey, we were 9 point underdogs on the road today. Never say never.
    Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

• samparnell
      Soy Capitan Meshpoint
      • Nov 2007

What I find remarkable is Drew's success in spite of seeming not to have total, instant command of the play call in terms of formation, motion, etc. He must have spent a lot of time studying while on IR. He's apparently doing a good job in practice, and has Scangarello in his ear plus the support of his teammates.

The receivers have cleaned up those stupid illegal formation penalties. The team is rallying around Buzz Lightyear and his voluminous armband. By the time he takes the snap, he sure knows what to do next.

So far, he has improved from his first start. He has upside going forward from this point in his career. Drew and Rich Scangarello seem to be on the same page and communicating well.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• RocketArm006
        Totally Worth It
        • May 2008

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        What I find remarkable is Drew's success in spite of seeming not to have total, instant command of the play call in terms of formation, motion, etc. He must have spent a lot of time studying while on IR. He's apparently doing a good job in practice, and has Scangarello in his ear plus the support of his teammates.

The receivers have cleaned up those stupid illegal formation penalties. The team is rallying around Buzz Lightyear and his voluminous armband. By the time he takes the snap, he sure knows what to do next.

So far, he has improved from his first start. He has upside going forward from this point in his career. Drew and Rich Scangarello seem to be on the same page and communicating well.
        This. All of this. He’s really done everything you can ask of a rookie coming in off IR to a losing team. Shows noticeable improvement. Very encouraged.

Comment

• RocketArm006
          Totally Worth It
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
          Hey, we were 9 point underdogs on the road today. Never say never.
          I didn’t say never.

I really don’t expect anyone to be as sold on Lock as I am, that would be ridiculous.

I still say he’s the undisputed starter going into next season and that’s a really good thing - especially considering the garbage we’ve dealt with for the past 4 years at QB.

Comment

• johnlimburg
            Ring of Famer
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
            Just as the NFL has repeatedly shown us, NFL teams delay the inevitable and waste entire off-seasons holding back the young guy with this mythical hope he develops on the sideline, and it never works.

In the last 3 years there are at least 10 examples of this, and the Broncos are now another. Elway needs to fully commit to re-building with the young guy at quarterback, committing an entire off-season to them, and switching up this old, tired, and failed approach.

Although I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go into the off-season splitting reps between Lock and Flacco, having a quarterback competition, and once again running Joe Flacco out there because he practiced better. The time for change is now, the approach of trying to develop young guys on the sideline doesn’t work, proven.
            Whoever negged me in response to this post saying, "yep YOU know what's best, des;pite 95 years worth of examples to the contrary!", and ignoring the immaturity of the anonymous neg, what 95 years worth of examples are we talking about ? The idea of developing quarterbacks on the bench is proven correct by who in the past 20 years ? Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes ? I personally believe they are generational talents and become greats regardless, but even outside of them, the development on the sideline strategy just isn't supported by evidence, it isn't.

Comment

• RocketArm006
              Totally Worth It
              • May 2008

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
              Whoever negged me in response to this post saying, "yep YOU know what's best, des;pite 95 years worth of examples to the contrary!", and ignoring the immaturity of the anonymous neg, what 95 years worth of examples are we talking about ? The idea of developing quarterbacks on the bench is proven correct by who in the past 20 years ? Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes ? I personally believe they are generational talents and become greats regardless, but even outside of them, the development on the sideline strategy just isn't supported by evidence, it isn't.
              Commitment to a young franchise QB is the way to go IMO. Bringing in vet FAs has not worked out well and a turnstile at QB and HC stunts a team’s growth. I agree with your take.

Comment

• colowoz
                Bench Warmer
                • Jan 2006

WE WON ! And may now have a NFL Q.B. Curious on how different this would be if Lock never was hurt and Flaco continued to struggle ?

Comment

• RocketArm006
                  Totally Worth It
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by colowoz View Post
                  WE WON ! And may now have a NFL Q.B. Curious on how different this would be if Lock never was hurt and Flaco continued to struggle ?
                  I’m a proponent of the philosophy; your path leads you to where you are. Maybe if things went differently, we would actually be in a less desirable situation. It has been a tough few years, so I’m personally happy that we may have found our franchise QB and the future looks promising.

Comment

• broncsx3
                    Banned User
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by colowoz View Post
                    There is a reason Lock plummeted in the draft. Glad you are excited, and hope you’re right, but odds are if he had started since Game 1 his many shortcomings would have been exposed with lots of game tape. Like I said, hope me and the majority of NFL scouts are wrong! It’s happened rarely before.

Comment

• skeeter01
                      Football Immortal
                      • Apr 2008

Where's "ear" in all of this ?

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                        Football Immortal
                        • Oct 2010

Is anyone liking Elway again?
                        (For this years draft, getting a coaching staff, etc.?)

Comment

• Freyaka
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                          I will fully admit that I’m starved for a QB, so I’m very happy with what I’ve seen so far. He’s certainly done enough to be the starter going into next season IMO. I really want to see a Bronco at QB and I’m excited for the prospect of knowing who our QB is going into an offseason. Having the QB position figured out certainly makes it easier to build around him.
                          I guess my thinking though, you see guys like Matt Flynn who have these incredible games because defenders don't know how to stop them, then once film comes, they look pedestrian.

That's why as excited as I want to be, I gotta taper my expectations for my own sake until I see that.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                            Football Immortal
                            • Oct 2010

He is going to have good and bad games. I think he is going to a decent QB.
                            I hope we can as a fan base support the kid and not trash him even if he has some bad games.
                            It has been a great confidence builder for him to have a couple of good games.

Comment

• RocketArm006
                              Totally Worth It
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                              I guess my thinking though, you see guys like Matt Flynn who have these incredible games because defenders don't know how to stop them, then once film comes, they look pedestrian.

That's why as excited as I want to be, I gotta taper my expectations for my own sake until I see that.
                              Understandable. I personally think he has the physical talent and smarts to overcome the “Flynn affect”. I get what you’re saying. I don’t even disagree. I just think Lock looks pretty darn good for a raw rookie, so there’s just as much of a chance that his game continues to improve.

The main point is that it is time for this franchise to stabilize the QB position. Lock gives us a chance to do that. I’m all in on the guy, but if he turns out to be pedestrian in a few seasons, then we move on.

I just really, super duper, do not want any more mercenary vet FA QB competition bs anymore. Commit to the high draft pick QB and stabilize the rest of the roster.

Comment

• RocketArm006
                                Totally Worth It
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                                He is going to have good and bad games. I think he is going to a decent QB.
                                I hope we can as a fan base support the kid and not trash him even if he has some bad games.
                                It has been a great confidence builder for him to have a couple of good games.
                                I agree with you, but it will never ever happen here. I guarantee there will be a group of posters who will tear him apart if they lose to KC next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X