Page 86 of 140 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2099
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Reading between the lines, yes it's official. Yes Fangio played coy at his press conference, but earlier he said that there was no point in activating Lock for him to be the backup QB. Given the split of the practice reps, the fact they activated Lock and that it makes zero sense to continue with Allen as the starting QB (he's played his way out of that) it's pretty darn official.
    But nowhere have I read anywhere that he's the starter....ok, between the lines maybe. That's why I keep saying "if" when talking about him tomorrow. Not sure why they don't just say it. The competitive edge thing makes a wee bit of sense, but not sure we are in that deep in the race to be playing coy. They know enough about him and Allen I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I certainly Hope Elway and Co do not truly believe 5 games is enough time to assess backup versus starter quality.

Imagine if we dumped Elway over how his entire 16 game rookie season went. And considered it a long enough window to call him simply backup material.
    He only started 10 games in 83. Broncos gave up too much not to give Elway a full season in 84.

Well, Chargers just activated James so this will be a solid test for Drew. Hopefully our ground game is working good for him

Rypien has been waived to make room for Lock.

Starter still hasnít been named.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    He only started 10 games in 83. Broncos gave up too much not to give Elway a full season in 84.
    Youíll have to forgive me for getting the number of games wrong. I was born that year.

But they used 10 games and gave him another year to decide.

We didnít give up as much but we traded to move up and get Lock and Elway really wanted him in the first round. I feel he will invest more than 5 games in Lock.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    But nowhere have I read anywhere that he's the starter....ok, between the lines maybe. That's why I keep saying "if" when talking about him tomorrow. Not sure why they don't just say it. The competitive edge thing makes a wee bit of sense, but not sure we are in that deep in the race to be playing coy. They know enough about him and Allen I believe.
    Further to....I am assuming that the team has advised Lock that he's starting. Why? I am sure he has lots of family and friends who want to see his first start (in person), and given we are not in the race, no harm done to tell him early. I believe we have a class organization, and that would suggest he would be notified.

One thing Iíve consistently heard was that you couldnít judge Lamarís poor passing stats at Louisville because it was Louisville with poor talent playing in the ACC with wrs who constantly let him down.

But the same exact things applied to Lock at Missouri and itís ďexcusesĒ. A kid with bad stats at Missouri couldnít possibly succeed in the NFL. My older Brother is a die hard Alabama and he said in 2018 Drew Lock had easily the best passing performance of any QB who played Alabama until the national title game. They lost the game in blowout fashion but I believe Lock put up over 300 yards and 28 points.
    Even then his stats werenít all that bad. The completion percentage topped out at 60% his last season. I think he was 2nd of the eligible QBs in dropped passes, Josh Allen was first if Iím not mistaken. There were definitely mechanical issues, he threw with a very narrow base which caused him to be erratic but the reads were good, the intent to put the ball where his WR could catch and get YAC was there which are good signs.

Lock had similar issues with WRs dropping passes, it mightíve been worse as almost every contested pass was dropped. Mechanically itís more his footwork as opposed to his base that leads his erratic ball placement. Too often he didnít set his feet pointing the right direction which caused him to fight himself when throwing.

You can fix footwork, thatís a pretty easy thing to correct IMO. Changing a throwing motion is much harder although still doable. The one thing I donít think you can fix is poor decision making. Jameis Winston has terrible decision making and itís held him back. His motion is elongated and his footwork isnít particularly better but terrible decisions have held him back. And itís not always bad decisions that hold you back either. Mariota has been super conservative and has struggled to find any rhythm in his career despite having better mechanics and a better throwing motion than Winston.

I donít think Lock made a lot of bad decisions in college, I do think his footwork made some tough windows look like he was making a bad decision however. Sometimes there will be a small window to fit the ball into triple coverage, but his footwork effected the ball placement which in turn makes it look like a bad decision. But the window was still there and he still recognized it, sure someone might have been open elsewhere but a lot of the time you donít have the luxury of sitting back and scanning the field to find that guy. If you see a window go for it. Guys like Winston and Cutler made bad decisions not because guys were double or triple covered but because they were double and triple covered with no window to throw through.

Drew Brees and Russel Wilson weíre second round picks. And wasnít Dak as well?
    When Russel Wilson played in his first preseason game, he looked unstoppable. Lock has looked pedestrian. I suspect it will be a long afternoon for him.

Quote Originally Posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    When Russel Wilson played in his first preseason game, he looked unstoppable. Lock has looked pedestrian. I suspect it will be a long afternoon for him.
    This is the impatient outlook that says QBs have to look NfL ready from day one and donít need time to learn.

Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for 4 years and in his first 3 preseasons fans were ready to let him go.

This is the impatient outlook that says QBs have to look NfL ready from day one and donít need time to learn.

Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for 4 years and in his first 3 preseasons fans were ready to let him go.
    In a league where coaches are only afforded a year and a half to prove themselves, can you really blame them? If you were a coach, what would you want: a vet or a project rookie? Odds are if the coach leaves, the project QB isnít very far behind them.

Rodgers sat for 3 years because it was Brett Freaking Favre.

After his first season as a starter, some people thought he was the third best quarterback on the roster.

What did waiting for three years do for him?

I think Rodgers could have started from day one and he would still be the quarterback he is today, maybe even better.

I hate when people try to use Rodgers as the example of why a quarterback should wait to start. He only waited because the other guy was a future hall of famer who was still playing at a high level.

Itís not going to take long for the coaches to figure out if Lock at least has the mentality to play quarterback in the NFL.

Iím all for them giving Lock a full season, if Burrow isnít available in the draft.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Rodgers sat for 3 years because it was Brett Freaking Favre.

After his first season as a starter, some people thought he was the third best quarterback on the roster.

What did waiting for three years do for him?

I think Rodgers could have started from day one and he would still be the quarterback he is today, maybe even better.

I hate when people try to use Rodgers as the example of why a quarterback should wait to start. He only waited because the other guy was a future hall of famer who was still playing at a high level.

Itís not going to take long for the coaches to figure out if Lock at least has the mentality to play quarterback in the NFL.

Iím all for them giving Lock a full season, if Burrow isnít available in the draft.
    Rodgers completely revamped his throwing motion in those 3 years. He would have been a different QB had he started from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Rodgers completely revamped his throwing motion in those 3 years. He would have been a different QB had he started from day one.
    That's tough to say, that's a question that obviously will never be able to be answered because he did sit. Every QB is different and Rodgers is a very smart QB, I would be willing to bet that he would of been just fine with an early start.

Lock? He admitted himself that this time off helped him with a some mental aspects to his game. He is a very gifted athlete and I fully expect him to be the best QB that this team has rostered since Manning.

I have no problem targeting a new QB in the next draft if he doesn't show anything in the next 5 games, my money is on him though...…..I think he balls out and the team goes with Drew Lock for the foreseeable future, jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    Russell Wilson was actually very up and down in his first preseason. And two of his first three regular season starts were poor, the only reason they were 2-1 after those games was because of the Fail Mary. And 9 of his starts that season he failed to reach 200 yards passing. There's no doubt he's become a great NFL QB and he showed glimpses in year 1 and took a big step in year 2, but he was anything but unstoppable in his first season, he just limited mistakes.

And Drew Brees was awful for his first three years, which is why the Chargers drafted Eli Manning (traded for Rivers).

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    That's tough to say, that's a question that obviously will never be able to be answered because he did sit. Every QB is different and Rodgers is a very smart QB, I would be willing to bet that he would of been just fine with an early start.

Lock? He admitted himself that this time off helped him with a some mental aspects to his game. He is a very gifted athlete and I fully expect him to be the best QB that this team has rostered since Manning.

I have no problem targeting a new QB in the next draft if he doesn't show anything in the next 5 games, my money is on him though...…..I think he balls out and the team goes with Drew Lock for the foreseeable future, jmo.
    More than likely, yes Rodgers wouldíve found a way to make it work. But I donít think he has some of the absurd seasons heís had if not for that time waiting. Iím just saying it isnít like he spent 3 years waiting on his time, he spent 3 years working on his game. Actually in his first 2 games with extensive playing time he didnít play well at all going 12/27, 1 INT and 6 sacks. It wasnít until the one game he played in year 3 that he was able to flash anything.