Page 105 of 140 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2099
    I thought Jeff Legwoldís article summed up Lockís first start with a balanced take.

https://www.espn.com/blog/denver-bro...han-drewcember

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos' faithful and many within the Broncos' complex have gotten their wish.

Drew Lock is the Broncos' starting quarterback at least for the near future. As Broncos coach Vic Fangio said just minutes after Sunday's 23-20 win over the Los Angeles Chargers: "There was no long-term plan other than if he did fine, he would stay in there. I'm telling you now he's starting next week."

But no matter how quickly some want to proclaim Lock as the team's first quarterback savior since Peyton Manning retired, the jury is still decidedly out.

Because it has to be. The Broncos have seen -- to quote Manning's most hated phrase -- "arm talent" before. Deep throws in training camp or one-game snapshots have been used to bang the drum for more than one quarterback discovery.

Sunday was good for Lock, awesome even. It was good for his family. It was the first time since John Elway and Gary Kubiak were rookies in 1983 that a Broncos rookie quarterback won his first start.

But Sunday doesn't change the fact the Broncos and this football-obsessed region have chewed up and spit out more than their share of quarterbacks not named Elway or Manning.

Elway was once asked what was more difficult as a young player -- being the quarterback or handling what comes with the job. He said handling the job was "a lot more difficult, especially when you're a young guy. To deal with scrutiny, the locker room, expectations and maybe things don't go your way for the first time at something you think you've done your whole life at that point."

The public outcry for Lock to play after 10 full on-field practices, not including walkthroughs, was borderline illogical. As one NFC general manager put it this past week "that's like saying a rookie quarterback is ready to play two weeks into training camp. It can happen for a running back maybe, but a quarterback? Never seen a quarterback ready to go after a handful of practices. There will be situations where that shows, you have to be willing to accept that."

Saying Lock has what it takes, after one win, is too easy. "Swag" was a popular word in the Broncos' locker room Sunday evening. Several of Lock's teammates have said they have seen the guy put in the work. Rookie offensive lineman Dalton Risner, taken one pick ahead of Lock in the second round of last April's draft, talked about how Lock wrote plays on the mirror of the bathroom when the two roomed together during training camp. Risner said Lock would record and then recite the playcalls, listening to them over and over again.

That's the type of work Lock needs to continue to do instead of getting caught up in talk of "Drewcember."

Lock finished Sunday 18-of-28 passing for 134 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. He looked composed for much of the day, showed some comfort level running the pieces of the playbook he was familiar with and, for the most part, avoided taking too big a bite with throws he'd like to have back later. All in all, an efficient debut.

Fangio was asked Monday if Lock had the "athletic arrogance" the coach has said is an important part of a QB's makeup. "I said it would take games, games plural. I think he did fine [Sunday]. I really do. After watching the tape and seeing it all, where you can rewind it, he missed some throws, from an accuracy standpoint, some reads, but I think overall it was a good first game for him and I think anything more than that would be stretching it."

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    There was an entire thread titled, ďCase Keenum is for realĒ.

After Siemianís great start in 2017, Denverís local media called for Elway to award a him a long term contract. Many fans also thought Siemian was the guy after the way he started the season. Seems like ages ago.
    My point exactly, pump the brakes please. Just bc "sutton" said it makes it true? The steelers was saying that bout Mason after having a few good starts and now he is bench for an undrafted quarterback.
    We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

I know this isnt an Elway thread and I'll be one of the first to say I want him gone...but with Lock if he flashes some potential I want to see what Elway does with the off-season in building a team around him.

If come by the end of next year be it Lock or we just didnt build a good core around him than they'll be no more excuses. If Lock builds momentum I'll give Elway one final off-season to fix this mess but if hes let go before then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    There was an entire thread titled, ďCase Keenum is for realĒ.

After Siemianís great start in 2017, Denverís local media called for Elway to award a him a long term contract. Many fans also thought Siemian was the guy after the way he started the season. Seems like ages ago.
    I do remember the Semien contract thing in the media. Keenum threw 3 picks in his first game. Not sure who said he would be the man for years to come.

Sure many outside Dove Valley have had opinions, but this statement came directly from the Broncos roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    My point exactly, pump the brakes please. Just bc "sutton" said it makes it true? The steelers was saying that bout Mason after having a few good starts and now he is bench for an undrafted quarterback.
    Sutton merely gave an opinion, that it seems you dont agree with. One thing I've learned is that opinions and facts aren't always the same thing. You have to be able to identify the difference between them.

Most of the posters who are excited about Lock are still acknowledging that itís only one game and there is more to be seen. I was encouraged and Iím just happy to have something compelling to watch for the next month.

I like Lock. He seems like a pretty well put together kid, as in he doesnít seem like a 10 cents head guy. He played an acceptable game. Thereís still a month to go and Iím simply looking forward to watching how it turns out.

As a franchisee, isnít Lock working out the best case scenario? Of course it is. As a fan, I really hope he works out. Maybe he does, maybe he doesnít.

Point is that there is finally a shift in the direction of this team. It gives me something to get interested in. After the past 3 years, you canít really blame people for wanting to get excited.

We shall see how it pans out. At this moment in time, Iím encouraged and compelled.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Most of the posters who are excited about Lock are still acknowledging that it’s only one game and there is more to be seen. I was encouraged and I’m just happy to have something compelling to watch for the next month.

I like Lock. He seems like a pretty well put together kid, as in he doesn’t seem like a 10 cents head guy. He played an acceptable game. There’s still a month to go and I’m simply looking forward to watching how it turns out.

As a franchisee, isn’t Lock working out the best case scenario? Of course it is. As a fan, I really hope he works out. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t.

Point is that there is finally a shift in the direction of this team. It gives me something to get interested in. After the past 3 years, you can’t really blame people for wanting to get excited.

We shall see how it pans out. At this moment in time, I’m encouraged and compelled.
    Everything you said I agree totally... and if he plays well enough..,there is no QB completion. There is draft direction... things play out for an off season to watch.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Everything you said I agree totally... and if he plays well enough..,there is no QB completion. There is draft direction... things play out for an off season to watch.
    Precisely. If the QB position isnít a question mark, it helps free things up for the draft and FA. Lock working out would be a real good thing.

Nice post Rocketarm !

Fantastic 7 posted a good article above here. Iíd like to focus on one paragraph in general

ďThe public outcry for Lock to play after 10 full on-field practices, not including walkthroughs, was borderline illogical.Ē

I couldnít have said it better myself. The article is worth a read if any of you havenít read it yet. It expounds a little further.
    Decrying the coaching staff and Elway for not playing him was ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Fantastic 7 posted a good article above here. I’d like to focus on one paragraph in general

“The public outcry for Lock to play after 10 full on-field practices, not including walkthroughs, was borderline illogical.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself. The article is worth a read if any of you haven’t read it yet. It expounds a little further.
    I'll bite.

What if the logic was to let the season go down the drain when Flacco was flailing with the hope of stashing Lock on the IR for a minor injury as long as possible with an almost plausible excuse later that it's so late in the season for Lock to come up to speed with the offense for any meaningful snaps. The hope was for a high draft pick going in to next season. Flacco's injury made that slightly difficult because Rypien is hardly backup material at this point to Allen. And Allen could not be sustained with is obvious low ceiling so the cry for Lock only grew.

As much as I would hate to know that might be the truth I can honestly see our FO accepting the loss on the year with a high draft pick and a good stash of cash next year for FAs.

However illogical, we are beyond that now so the planning has to be with Lock at QB now going forward, not later, and build from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Fantastic 7 posted a good article above here. I’d like to focus on one paragraph in general

“The public outcry for Lock to play after 10 full on-field practices, not including walkthroughs, was borderline illogical.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself. The article is worth a read if any of you haven’t read it yet. It expounds a little further.
    I am glad there was a public outcry. We did not hold Lock back. We want to see what we have in this young man, who was drafted fairly high for a reason. We want to know if we have a QB for the future. We want to AVOID another QB search...especially if it means yet another very high draft pick. We don't want to "waste" draft capital if we don't need to. We want our draft capital to be used wisely, and for at least one quality Oliner. And yes, we pay at the gate.

Logic says, we not only have a right to expect good results, but we in this case, seem very logical in what we prescribed, in terms of getting Lock onto the field before it was too late.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I am glad there was a public outcry. We did not hold Lock back. We want to see what we have in this young man, who was drafted fairly high for a reason. We want to know if we have a QB for the future. We want to AVOID another QB search...especially if it means yet another very high draft pick. We don't want to "waste" draft capital if we don't need to. We want our draft capital to be used wisely, and for at least one quality Oliner. And yes, we pay at the gate.

Logic says, we not only have a right to expect good results, but we in this case, seem very logical in what we prescribed, in terms of getting Lock onto the field before it was too late.
    Logic actually says we should expect to be .500, as that's the statistical expectation. I guess we have a "right" to want anything, but that doesn't make it logical. There are 31 other teams with fans with expectations that they all be good. That can't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post

Legwold was in the "I dont want Lock to play at all this year because he will get killed behind our o-line" camp. If I was Spock I would say that is illogical, then I would say live long and prosper.

I find Legwold hypocritical for making such an illogical statement and then calling others who wanted Lock to play illogical. There's a bunch of illogical and contradictory statements here. We need Spock to come sort this all out!

We can see that Lock did just fine behind this line. He didn't shatter or become a deer in the headlights, though it is still early. We also can see that playing Lock 'early' did him no harm either, in fact you could argue that this was a huge boost to his confidence.