Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    No, Iím considering the offense from the start of camp through the second preseason game. Thatís not to say they wonít improve execution by start of season. The inaccurate pass to Sutton is one example.
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Yes, it's early. But it's also confirmation that Flacco isn't going to change because he put on an orange and blue uniform, and further proof that this offense isn't going to be much different from what we've seen in the last few years. Colby Wadman better get his legs fresh and ready, he's going to be needed a lot this season
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Yes, it's early. But it's also confirmation that Flacco isn't going to change because he put on an orange and blue uniform, and further proof that this offense isn't going to be much different from what we've seen in the last few years. Colby Wadman better get his legs fresh and ready, he's going to be needed a lot this season
    I was encouraged by Lockís improvement. He didnít make a quantum leap but not bad for his second game. It seems as if theyíre giving him the opportunity to earn the backup role. Hopefully weíll get a better sense of what Flacco can do with the next two preseason games. Would have liked to see the starters get two possessions vs Seahawks.

No, Iím considering the offense from the start of camp through the second preseason game. Thatís not to say they wonít improve execution by start of season. The inaccurate pass to Sutton is one example.
    How do we know it was inaccurate though? Maybe Flacco put it where he wanted Sutton to be? The back shoulder throw is very reliant on chemistry between the QB and the WR. Some QBs like the WR to reach out and toe tap on it, others like to put it on the outside hip so they can catch it and sit down. Sometimes it depends on where the cover guy is.

My point is, this was the first series the majority of us have seen of Flacco with us. I think itís a bit much to predict how well Flacco will or wonít do off one pass. Iím just glad Flacco showed that he can get to his 2nd read much quicker than Keenum even if it was to his checkdown.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    How do we know it was inaccurate though?. Maybe Flacco put it where he wanted Sutton to be? The back shoulder throw is very reliant on chemistry between the QB and the WR. Some QBs like the WR to reach out and toe tap on it, others like to put it on the outside hip so they can catch it and sit down. Sometimes it depends on where the cover guy is.

My point is, this was the first series the majority of us have seen of Flacco with us. I think itís a bit much to predict how well Flacco will or wonít do off one pass. Iím just glad Flacco showed that he can get to his 2nd read much quicker than Keenum even if it was to his checkdown.
    Because Sutton would have needed to be 2-3 feet out of bounds, not to mention a 4+ foot vertical to make the catch.

I wasnít predicting how well heíll play off one pass - as clearly stated in my post.

I think that you're being far too generous and kind to Flacco. All we've heard to date is that he is the guy our coaches targeted. Players tout that he's a SB winning QB with a great arm. Well we as Broncos fans have watched Flacco make better distance throws with better touch against us. So when I see a QB who is supposed to be the unquestioned "man" I for one expect a back shoulder throw to be thrown properly.

Now before all of you try and jump down my throat on my critique...Sutton got the coverage we wanted, he is a tall guy who proved he can catch jump balls and Flacco still managed to over throw him. IMO by "top QB" standards his throw wasn't even close.

Now Lock, while he is not bang on right now, showed to me major improvement from game 1 to game 2. I am very I intrigued to see if the progress continues into game 3. There were 3 to 4 standout throws which I felt truly showed maturity. The throw to Troy was the biggest one IMO. Now Lock was not without his mistakes. He just cannoned a ball through the middle of the end zone as "his version" of a throw away. In a real NFL game that would have been a pick for sure. Lock is a Rookie though. So unlike Flacco I expect issues and rocky bumps in the road. Unlike with Flacco, rightly or wrongly with him are just higher. That TD miss there just rubbed me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Exactly, Flacco is what he is, he wasnít going to magically turn into Peyton Manning. The offense is going to be based around Lindsay and Freeman, with hopefully a good defense. If we fall behind early in games and have to relay on Flaccoís arm, itís going to get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    How do we know it was inaccurate though? Maybe Flacco put it where he wanted Sutton to be? The back shoulder throw is very reliant on chemistry between the QB and the WR. Some QBs like the WR to reach out and toe tap on it, others like to put it on the outside hip so they can catch it and sit down. Sometimes it depends on where the cover guy is.

Sutton, as I recall, did reach out. Even with his length the ball was still thrown too high. Please read as inaccurate. To me at least, so take that as you will, I am used to seeing the ball flight look differently from other back shoulder throws. The ball almost seems to die and then fall down on successful throws like that...that ball just sailed and never dropped.

Now I do agree. Flacco did clearly show he can move through progressions quickly. I have not had a chance to go back and watch but did he move too quickly through some. There was o w or two plays where in what seemed like a second he went from far right (skipping 1st 3 targets) ignoring the 4th on the right and throwing a check down to the RB - by eye test without really letting g the routes develop. That could have been intentional but could he or should he have at least tried to let longer throws develop instead. I'd like to see if that becomes a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    In the preseason the middle is better than the end as far as level of competition goes. Half the guys who play the 4th quarter wonít be in the league when the regular season starts.
    I rather see how he does in football situations. Kinda like we were afforded in PS2Seattle. Maybe part of it because he played better (and amount of snaps)- but for me, I feel like there's more to evaluate. I'm still getting to know the kid
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I think that you're being far too generous and kind to Flacco. All we've heard to date is that he is the guy our coaches targeted. Players tout that he's a SB winning QB with a great arm. Well we as Broncos fans have watched Flacco make better distance throws with better touch against us. So when I see a QB who is supposed to be the unquestioned "man" I for one expect a back shoulder throw to be thrown properly.

Now before all of you try and jump down my throat on my critique...Sutton got the coverage we wanted, he is a tall guy who proved he can catch jump balls and Flacco still managed to over throw him. IMO by "top QB" standards his throw wasn't even close.

Now Lock, while he is not bang on right now, showed to me major improvement from game 1 to game 2. I am very I intrigued to see if the progress continues into game 3. There were 3 to 4 standout throws which I felt truly showed maturity. The throw to Troy was the biggest one IMO. Now Lock was not without his mistakes. He just cannoned a ball through the middle of the end zone as "his version" of a throw away. In a real NFL game that would have been a pick for sure. Lock is a Rookie though. So unlike Flacco I expect issues and rocky bumps in the road. Unlike with Flacco, rightly or wrongly with him are just higher. That TD miss there just rubbed me the wrong way.
    If Lock improves in the next game I think it will be a very positive sign - it would show how quickly he can apply coaching and experience from situations. At the same time itís a process and probably not realistic to expect too much.

I think in a regular season game, Flacco puts that in a spot for Sutton to go and compete for the ball. Joe is a veteran quarterback, on a new team, with a new coaching staff, playing with an offense on their first drive of the pre-season. I think right there an interception sets the group back, takes away confidence, and sets a bad first impression. The starting offense went and got 3 points, and I think Joe was ultra conservative on the throw for a reason, I have faith he can throw a 50-50 fade pattern on the goal line much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I think in a regular season game, Flacco puts that in a spot for Sutton to go and compete for the ball. Joe is a veteran quarterback, on a new team, with a new coaching staff, playing with an offense on their first drive of the pre-season. I think right there an interception sets the group back, takes away confidence, and sets a bad first impression. The starting offense went and got 3 points, and I think Joe was ultra conservative on the throw for a reason, I have faith he can throw a 50-50 fade pattern on the goal line much better than that.
    especially if they pick up the free blitzer

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Not as likely working the left side of the end zone. Flacco is much more comfortable working the right side and middle of the end zone. Heís good for that pass to Sutton once, maybe twice a season, based on recent years. Thatís not to say he wonít this season.

Not as likely working the left side of the end zone. Flacco is much more comfortable working the right side and middle of the end zone. He’s good for that pass to Sutton once, maybe twice a season, based on recent years. That’s not to say he won’t this season.
    wow. only once or twice in an entire season???

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    wow. only once or twice in an entire season???
    Correct. 3 TDs on similar throws to that side over 3 seasons, as far as the film shows.

Edit: Iím inadvertently mixing the Lock and Flacco discussion. Will stop here.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-11-2019 at 05:40 PM.

From at least one article there appears to have been a flip with Hogan and Lock. That was the other observation I noted. I thought that Lock played better.