Page 85 of 140 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2095
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Not seen anything official yet. Is this a competitive ploy?? That seems a bit weird given The Chargers know he is a rookie, and probably studied him enough during the offseason.

Just give him the ball and make it public so that everyone interested has a "yes" moment!

FTR....I think Drew is going to carry that 2nd round designation with him, and possibly it could be a career long thing, like other players who never seem to forget. Ask Brady. Or any of the undrafted ones who prove otherwise.

2nd round isn't terrible, but it's the expectation of that day, and all that led up to it that scars folks a bit. I have a hunch it's another reason why he will be our guy.
    Drew Brees and Russel Wilson we’re second round picks. And wasn’t Dak as well?

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Drew Brees and Russel Wilson we’re second round picks. And wasn’t Dak as well?
    Russ was a 3rd and Dak was a 4th rounder, so you can imagine the motivation!

Dissecting The Win Win Win (and maybe) Win Of A Lock Start

Not quite official, but looking bright.

So, Lock might finally start. And for me it's a bunch of WINS.

1) Just the fact that our 2nd rounder may finally start, with no other QBs that appear to have long term starting qualities, is a WIN. The fact I like Drew, and think he has most if not all the tools, as we speak, is almost secondary. It's the fact that the clock now begins, and the development accelerates, and the "on the field" experiences get filed in his memory....are so much more important. The bench is fine for some growth, but ask yourself the question, "how different are your experiences in life when you are responsibly doing something, rather than practicing to do it?" It's often a significant step up in terms of consequences.

2) The next WIN is simple, and certainly not new here. The clock is also ticking in terms of assessing this young man. Theoretically we have 5 NFL games to do so, and if all goes as planned, and Drew is more of a backup caliber player, we move on to the offseason, and hopefully draft the best QB in the field....and build an O around him! it's bitter medicine if it goes this route, because of the "added on to" lost draft / FA capital to acquire a series of QBs, plus the lost value of missing out on players we needed in other positions. So yes, its a WIN if we have to find out this truth. At least we have time to assess. And maybe we will find that guy....because in simple terms, it's priority 1 in my books.

3) The third WIN, if Lock is looking every bit "the guy", is that he will likely not fare too much better than our previous 2 QBs this season in terms of the win column, and yes, leave us with a not too respectable record. But that means super high draft picks, especially in rounds one and two. OMG it excites me to think that we could actually cement our franchise QB position, playing along other stud young men - Lindsay, Sutton, Risner, Chubb, and others....combined with a core of pretty good vets overall! Hey, we may even make a deal or two, to solidify the future of this team. But bottom line, we would be set deep into the future with such young talent....including FAs/Trades that might just tighten the entire plan. This stuff excites me, and I must be honest, it's been years since I've felt this way about our team.

There's maybe a 4th WIN, or even other ones I have not added to this initial list....but heck, we might even beat The Chargers. Now, that does mess a wee bit with my high draft scenario, but no doubt, we will have high draft picks regardless. And I would not expect the worst from Lock if he starts. Sometimes these men are more ready than anticipated. I watched Blough of The Lions yesterday, and he played a fabulous game against a pretty good Bears' D. And he was undrafted. And as I noted elsewhere, this young man will likely have a long term chip on his shoulder, given his draft experience. Sure, round two is not too shabby, but each of us compares ourselves to others in life, and Drew will have ample motivation to be better than valued, on that particular day.

All in all folks, I am eagerly awaiting the Lock era....hoping it will last. I am fairly confident, though cautious in expectation. But this is WIN WIN WIN stuff in my books, and it may turn this team around for the long term!

Russ was a 3rd and Dak was a 4th rounder, so you can imagine the motivation!
    Ok I think my mix up with Dak was the cowboys were also interested in trading back up from the 2nd into the first to get Lynch.

I certainly Hope Elway and Co do not truly believe 5 games is enough time to assess backup versus starter quality.

Imagine if we dumped Elway over how his entire 16 game rookie season went. And considered it a long enough window to call him simply backup material.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Solely on physical ability I see a lot of similarities with Cutler, but not Jackson.
    They have similar arm strength and stature but that’s about it IMO. Cutler had a longer wind up because he held the ball so much lower. But my point was more in terms of throwing with anticipation and at validating defensive coverages by looking at the Safeties before getting into his reads (after throwing out the stupid college stuff).

At the end of the day you can take bits and pieces from any player and find someone comparable in that respect. I just find some of their mental aspects comparable as well as their humility and drive to win. I wouldn’t read too much into the comp but they do have a similar career arc that they both went through passing the ball in college which was constant improvement.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 11-30-2019 at 11:37 AM.

I certainly Hope Elway and Co do not truly believe 5 games is enough time to assess backup versus starter quality.

Imagine if we dumped Elway over how his entire 16 game rookie season went. And considered it a long enough window to call him simply backup material.
    It's not the perfect assessment scenario, but if he gets all 5 starts I believe we will know if we should designate him as our #1 QB going into the new year, or bad news, he is showing little growth and development. The BIG IF....he gets all 5 games. He has to in my opinion. That's the only reasonable approach. We don't need to see more of Allen, or anyone else on this squad. It's "go time"!!!

It's not the perfect assessment scenario, but if he gets all 5 starts I believe we will know if we should designate him as our #1 QB going into the new year, or bad news, he is showing little growth and development. The BIG IF....he gets all 5 games. He has to in my opinion. That's the only reasonable approach. We don't need to see more of Allen, or anyone else on this squad. It's "go time"!!!
    I don’t agree one bit that it means anything long term. You cannot properly assess an NFL qb after 5 starts. You can hope he shows signs of growth. But you absolutely cannot give up over 5 games and say “whelp we have to draft again”. Thats just not a very efficient way to run a franchise. I still contend Lock gets all of 2020 before management gives up on him. Lynch got 2 full years and a third preseason. Lock will get that long.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    They have similar arm strength and stature but that’s about it IMO. Cutler had a longer wind up because he held the ball so much lower. But my point was more in terms of throwing with anticipation and at validating defensive coverages by looking at the Safeties before getting into his reads (after throwing out the stupid college stuff).

At the end of the day you can take bits and pieces from any player and find someone comparable in that respect. I just find some of their mental aspects comparable as well as their humility and drive to win. I wouldn’t read too much into the comp but they do have a similar career arc that they both went through passing the ball in college which was constant improvement.
    One thing I’ve consistently heard was that you couldn’t judge Lamar’s poor passing stats at Louisville because it was Louisville with poor talent playing in the ACC with wrs who constantly let him down.

But the same exact things applied to Lock at Missouri and it’s “excuses”. A kid with bad stats at Missouri couldn’t possibly succeed in the NFL. My older Brother is a die hard Alabama and he said in 2018 Drew Lock had easily the best passing performance of any QB who played Alabama until the national title game. They lost the game in blowout fashion but I believe Lock put up over 300 yards and 28 points.

Assuming Joe Burrow is unavailable when the Broncos pick, I’m all for giving Lock a full season as the starter.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

I hope he plays well, and flashes what he's capable of. Truly, I hope he's the one.

Otherwise, I hope he's really really bad...like Paxton with his helmet on backwards bad.

We need to know the answer soon.

I don’t agree one bit that it means anything long term. You cannot properly assess an NFL qb after 5 starts. You can hope he shows signs of growth. But you absolutely cannot give up over 5 games and say “whelp we have to draft again”. Thats just not a very efficient way to run a franchise. I still contend Lock gets all of 2020 before management gives up on him. Lynch got 2 full years and a third preseason. Lock will get that long.
    Just talking worst case. Actually the worst case is if we are still not sure, one way or the other. I'd rather we love him or don't see a future in him, than be undecided. it prolongs everything.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post

That makes sense, and I’m only referring to athleticism. Their arm strength and 40 times are almost identical.

Not a bold prediction, but here's what I would love to see with Lock. First down, hand to Lindsay. Second down, hand to Lindsay….oh wait, fake to Lindsay, drop back and spread the field with a longish pass to Sutton or one of the other receivers! That would be cool, to me, because it would back off their D, and even show how good of an arm he had without much loss....as long as the Oline can give him an extra second. A good fake might do that.

Otherwise, be as conservative as need be, and utilize our game plan to support him, just as any other team would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    It's it though? Vic's press conference was completely non-committal. Did they officially announce it?
    Reading between the lines, yes it's official. Yes Fangio played coy at his press conference, but earlier he said that there was no point in activating Lock for him to be the backup QB. Given the split of the practice reps, the fact they activated Lock and that it makes zero sense to continue with Allen as the starting QB (he's played his way out of that) it's pretty darn official.