Page 58 of 114 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 ... LastLast
    I review mocks occasionally, and none of them have us taking a QB. Not that all the so called experts know everything. BUT I think the assumption is, we have a future starter in the fold.

Given that logic, and Flacco is NOT the one....it comes down to Lock and Allen. And my further deduction is as follows: a 4th year backup released to us, is not the franchise QB (unless he goes on wonder drugs!!)

So....my conclusion: Lock is the guy, unless he falters. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt as I see him as a guy with good skills, and confidence, and chosen this year as the "next one".

If I am correct....he has to play 3 or more games this year, to get him primed up for offseason develop. Otherwise, throw out all the logic, because we may have to acquire a QB in the offseason.....AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I was watching the Broncos show on the NFL app on the Amazon Fire stick and they said the backup qb at best gets 10 snaps.

Think they were talking directly about the issues some fans have with Lock not practicing....they made it sound like he is missing 10 snaps per week.

From what they have said...and what head coaches have said before...it has something to do with decreased number of practices per the CBA
    I would imagine that the QB running scout team would get about as many snaps as the starter. Fangio said Lock would start with scout team and then move to first team maybe doing a little of both as he progresses through the next few weeks.

CBA limitations on practice is an issue that will probably be visited before the next contract is negotiated.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I review mocks occasionally, and none of them have us taking a QB. Not that all the so called experts know everything. BUT I think the assumption is, we have a future starter in the fold.

Given that logic, and Flacco is NOT the one....it comes down to Lock and Allen. And my further deduction is as follows: a 4th year backup released to us, is not the franchise QB (unless he goes on wonder drugs!!)

So....my conclusion: Lock is the guy, unless he falters. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt as I see him as a guy with good skills, and confidence, and chosen this year as the "next one".

If I am correct....he has to play 3 or more games this year, to get him primed up for offseason develop. Otherwise, throw out all the logic, because we may have to acquire a QB in the offseason.....AGAIN!
    People are trying to link us to getting Cam away from the Panthers and I don't like that idea I'm tired of the QBs on the back end of careers but maybe they factor in is getting Cam or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    People are trying to link us to getting Cam away from the Panthers and I don't like that idea I'm tired of the QBs on the back end of careers but maybe they factor in is getting Cam or something.
    I tend to agree...except Manning of course. If Cam was healthy, I'd take him over Flacco. But I am not a big Cam fan. He seems selfish to me. Plus, as you say, tail end of his career. No no....I want someone fairly young and team oriented, who can play. Call me "dreamy" but I would love to have a QB named Mahomes, or Jackson, or Watson. Young studs!!!

Having said that....ha ha....there are some vets I might be good with!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Give him as many non-first string snaps as possible we didn't use a second round pick for him to just sit around this season we need him at least practicing alot.
    Sure, but with where he's at right now he doesn't need to be anywhere near the top of the depth chart.

Practice reps are all he should be getting until the last couple weeks of the season at the earliest.

Kurt Warner .... just sayin' never know?

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    Sure, but with where he's at right now he doesn't need to be anywhere near the top of the depth chart.

Practice reps are all he should be getting until the last couple weeks of the season at the earliest.
    he wont be on the dc for the next weeks at all. they have 21 days to have him practice while still being on IR then he can come back. we will see where he is after the bills. cause we probably don't want him playing against the Vikings or the Bills

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Kurt Warner .... just sayin' never know?
    Yes.....I kid (a bit). There are ALWAYS exceptions, so you never look the other way. But there are patterns, and those who are near the end of their careers may not be able to change accordingly, nor withstand injury issues. That's why they tend to be good backups, because they can easily just jump off the bench, with all their experience and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I would imagine that the QB running scout team would get about as many snaps as the starter. Fangio said Lock would start with scout team and then move to first team maybe doing a little of both as he progresses through the next few weeks.

CBA limitations on practice is an issue that will probably be visited before the next contract is negotiated.
    good point about scout team

As I recall it was reps on the scout team that helped Moreno in his play
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Yes.....I kid (a bit). There are ALWAYS exceptions, so you never look the other way. But there are patterns, and those who are near the end of their careers may not be able to change accordingly, nor withstand injury issues. That's why they tend to be good backups, because they can easily just jump off the bench, with all their experience and knowledge.
    I should've been more detailed in my post because I think you are taking it that I am advocating (jokingly) that we bring in Kurt Warner as a backup? That isn't what I was eluding to ... I am looking at history and pointing out that Warner was a backup/Arena football QB for ~4 years before he got his chance when Trent Green got hurt. So it has happened that a 4th year backup has become a "franchise QB".
    But I am not serious ... than again you never know.
    Allen has a big test against the Vikings next, I will be very surprised if the Broncos pull off an upset. I imagine that Lock will practice a couple of weeks and will be activated and will take over with 2-3 games to go in the season. BUT, if the Broncos can win the next 3 games, Allen might continue as the starter and that would be good for the Broncos QB situation...imo

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I should've been more detailed in my post because I think you are taking it that I am advocating (jokingly) that we bring in Kurt Warner as a backup? That isn't what I was eluding to ... I am looking at history and pointing out that Warner was a backup/Arena football QB for ~4 years before he got his chance when Trent Green got hurt. So it has happened that a 4th year backup has become a "franchise QB".
    But I am not serious ... than again you never know.
    Allen has a big test against the Vikings next, I will be very surprised if the Broncos pull off an upset. I imagine that Lock will practice a couple of weeks and will be activated and will take over with 2-3 games to go in the season. BUT, if the Broncos can win the next 3 games, Allen might continue as the starter and that would be good for the Broncos QB situation...imo
    Ha ha....did not think you meant bringing Warner back! But sometimes messaging minus face to face or even over the phone, can restrict our ability to convey, or even receive messages. So thanks for clarifying, even though you said it right initially.

After today's loss I say get Drew Lock in there, maybe one more game for Allen. Although with Scangarello they might be handicapped by bad playcalling.

Wasting valuable time with sitting Lock on the bench like a china doll.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    Wasting valuable time with sitting Lock on the bench like a china doll.
    At this point, I would agree to an extent. Brandon Allen is incompetent, and shouldn't be anything other than an emergency backup. At the same time, Rypien is ahead of Lock as the #2 QB. But if we have learned anything about the Broncos, it's that NFL football is "Experiential". Nobody learns anything by sitting on the bench. Of course, many throw out the Aaron Rodgers example. I can only wonder how much better Rodgers would be if he had actually played in those seasons while everyone was waiting for Favre to retire.

Most "Normal" teams that draft QB's high in the draft, play them after the starter goes down.
    To have him sit on the bench and get rusty is a bad plan. IMO