Page 66 of 121 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I'm not sure. The way Klis puts it, even if Lock comes out and looks amazing we might still go after Herbert. Interesting strategy.
    I'd rather them go with that strategy than sign another poorly aging veteran and gifting them the starting job. At least there would be 2 young QBs on the roster and one of them would be starting at the beginning of next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    To me there is zero upside to playing Allen any longer than necessary. He is not the franchise starter, and I believe we have seen the ceiling of what he is capable of. If Lock is your guy, then treat him like he is your guy. Give him playing time now, instead of delaying his development time for essentially no reason at all in a throwaway season.
    My concern with Allen is that they fall back into the Trevor Siemian trap, he does just enough this year to not lose his job. The FO believes next year with a good enough defense and run game, maybe they can win 9-10 games and sneak back into the playoffs with Allen. They go that route because it's "safer" than starting a new QB, or maybe have another dreaded QB competition.

Imagine this hypothetical: Allen somehow wins on Sunday in Buffalo, it's not impossible, Buffalo has had bad games this year. It'd be hard to justify benching him after a road win against a playoff caliber team. Next week is an easier home game against the struggling Chargers, suddenly he's won 2 in a row with 2 more tough road games coming up, could you justify starting Lock in either of those games? All he would have to do then is win one of those games and he's likely starting the final 2 games as well as they could still potentially end 8-8 with Allen, and maybe even sneak into the playoffs. I know this isn't likely, but it isn't impossible either.

If Allen starts the rest of the season, then it's likely he's penciled in as the starter next year, or they have another terrible QB competition which he would likely win as he has more experience, chemistry with the receivers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    My concern with Allen is that they fall back into the Trevor Siemian trap, he does just enough this year to not lose his job. The FO believes next year with a good enough defense and run game, maybe they can win 9-10 games and sneak back into the playoffs with Allen. They go that route because it's "safer" than starting a new QB, or maybe have another dreaded QB competition.

Imagine this hypothetical: Allen somehow wins on Sunday in Buffalo, it's not impossible, Buffalo has had bad games this year. It'd be hard to justify benching him after a road win against a playoff caliber team. Next week is an easier home game against the struggling Chargers, suddenly he's won 2 in a row with 2 more tough road games coming up, could you justify starting Lock in either of those games? All he would have to do then is win one of those games and he's likely starting the final 2 games as well as they could still potentially end 8-8 with Allen, and maybe even sneak into the playoffs. I know this isn't likely, but it isn't impossible either.

If Allen starts the rest of the season, then it's likely he's penciled in as the starter next year, or they have another terrible QB competition which he would likely win as he has more experience, chemistry with the receivers, etc.
    Well if Allen keeps winning all those games, it's a high likelihood that he's improved and shown that he can play at an NFL level. He would have earned his spot. I think the reality is though that we'll keep seeing sub 50% completion rates and less than 200 yards passing, which will put a ton of pressure on our defense and run game. We'll see how the future plays out, but I would be willing to bet that at some point Lock will be pushed into action because Allen isn't producing enough this season.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Well if Allen keeps winning all those games, it's a high likelihood that he's improved and shown that he can play at an NFL level. He would have earned his spot. I think the reality is though that we'll keep seeing sub 50% completion rates and less than 200 yards passing, which will put a ton of pressure on our defense and run game. We'll see how the future plays out, but I would be willing to bet that at some point Lock will be pushed into action because Allen isn't producing enough this season.
    True, but the scenario I laid out isn't far from what Siemian did, he was 7-2 his first 9 starts, had thrown over 2k yards, 12 TDs and 9 INTs. Even after his first 16 starts, he was 10-6 with 3800 yards, 24 TDs, and 12 INTs. It was after that point when he started to fall apart. Not to say any of the same things will happen, but there is that "fool's gold" possibility with Allen, teams have little film on him, the offense seems to have a spark ever since he came in.

True, but the scenario I laid out isn't far from what Siemian did, he was 7-2 his first 9 starts, had thrown over 2k yards, 12 TDs and 9 INTs. Even after his first 16 starts, he was 10-6 with 3800 yards, 24 TDs, and 12 INTs. It was after that point when he started to fall apart. Not to say any of the same things will happen, but there is that "fool's gold" possibility with Allen, teams have little film on him, the offense seems to have a spark ever since he came in.
    Right, and that indeed would be a bad situation due to developing the wrong player. Let's hope that this FO has learned it's lesson in investing in the high upside player. Comments that Fangio and Elway are making that it isn't important to play Lock is concerning, considering the investment made in drafting him.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Yikes However this Scenario Just Could Play Out UGH :-

Sounds like theyíre content with Allen and Lock is not a priority, so Iím guessing Allen is the guy going into next year with Lock getting the Broncos young QB bench treatment.

Sounds like theyíre committed to a ceiling of 8-8 with the likes of Brandon Allen. Itís disturbing to say the least!

Sounds like they are bringing a rookie QB back from IR.
    Lock needs to have this offense down before he moves up the depth chart.
    His ability to run the offense affects not only his development but also his teammates.
    His time will come, Iím hoping he can start the Chargers game, but Iím fine with the Lions and or Oakland game.

The team held back Alexander Johnson for several weeks and then he got his chance and has been the highest rated ILB per PFF. Fangio wants players to earn it, nobody gets handed a job in this team.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Sounds like they are bringing a rookie QB back from IR.
    Lock needs to have this offense down before he moves up the depth chart.
    His ability to run the offense affects not only his development but also his teammates.
    His time will come, Iím hoping he can start the Chargers game, but Iím fine with the Lions and or Oakland game.

The team held back Alexander Johnson for several weeks and then he got his chance and has been the highest rated ILB per PFF. Fangio wants players to earn it, nobody gets handed a job in this team.
    Do you believe Colby Wadman earned his job, or punted well enough to keep his job?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Do you believe Colby Wadman earned his job, or punted well enough to keep his job?
    Or Garett Bolles. Screwing up the LT positon since 2017 without any viable competition for the job.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Or Garett Bolles. Screwing up the LT positon since 2017 without any viable competition for the job.
    100%. Bolles is the most visible example. Wadman doesnít get much attention however heís a disgrace. If Elway canít field a decent punter why would anyone would believe he can build a competitive roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    100%. Bolles is the most visible example. Wadman doesn’t get much attention however he’s a disgrace. If Elway can’t field a decent punter why would anyone would believe he can build a competitive roster.
    Punter isn't an exclusive Elway problem, Denver never seems to have a great punter. In the summer I went through all of the Broncos seasons and I think they've had the league leader in punting once or twice in their entire NFL history. Which is crazy since they play half of their games at altitude.

They need to completely overhaul the Special Teams units in the offseason, from coordinator down to punter and kicker.

As for Lock, the team is now giving the Offense more reps in practice than the defense in order to give Lock more reps. He will be playing soon, possibly in 8 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Punter isn't an exclusive Elway problem, Denver never seems to have a great punter. In the summer I went through all of the Broncos seasons and I think they've had the league leader in punting once or twice in their entire NFL history. Which is crazy since they play half of their games at altitude.

They need to completely overhaul the Special Teams units in the offseason, from coordinator down to punter and kicker.

As for Lock, the team is now giving the Offense more reps in practice than the defense in order to give Lock more reps. He will be playing soon, possibly in 8 days.
    If you saw Kern punting for the Titans earlier this season, youíd remember that the Broncos once had a great punter that McNuggets traded away.

I donít know why people are so insistent that Lock play. Their only focus should be on trying to win games.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    If you saw Kern punting for the Titans earlier this season, youíd remember that the Broncos once had a great punter that McNuggets traded away.

I donít know why people are so insistent that Lock play. Their only focus should be on trying to win games.
    Does playing Lock prevent the team from winning games? I haven't seen Allen do anything Lock could not thus far and Lock looked far, far better than he in the preseason. I assume the team understands this as well and will soon make the switch to Lock for more reasons than one.