• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Butler By'Note
    Super Moderator
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    Is it regular season Manning or post season Manning you are hoping for?
    Flacco is easily the 2nd most physically gifted QB we have had since Elway, and he has shown that he shows up in big games.
    What Lock is or will become is far from given at this point, but he does not blow the socks of what Chris Simms did in preseason.
    I'm going to have to go with a hard NO on that one.

If you're talking just physical skills since Elway, there have been way more physically talented QBs than a 34 year old Joe Flacco. Cutler, Lock and Lynch all completely blow 34 year old Flacco out of the water in physical abilities. But it takes more than physical skills to be an NFL QB. You can't just be able to throw the ball hard or far, you need to be able to fit it into a tiny window, and you need to know which throws you can make and which you can't and when it's better to check down or throw it away rather than trying to create something that isn't there. And of course you need to be able to go through reads and not just stare down a receiver.

But Flacco isn't in Denver for physical abilities, he's here to be a starting NFL QB who will make decisions that a starting NFL QB has to make. They don't need him to be a great NFL QB, they need him to be an average NFL QB who makes smart decisions. And if he can that will be welcomed, outside of 2012 to November 2014, Denver hasn't had a QB who makes starting NFL QB decisions since Elway retired.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
      Super Moderator
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
      However the case can be said about the QB Sloter last year. QB's are a different animal I would hate to lose 2 QB's that show promise in a row. On a side note look at Chad Kelly and what he did last week playing for the Colts SMH !

To be fair though, Sloter wasn't claimed by Minnesota, they signed him to their PS by offering him massive guaranteed money. He was promoted to their 53 man roster two weeks later due to injuries.

As for Kelly, he was the third QB into the game for the Colts that night. His first play was halfway through the third quarter. He was an NFL backup QB last season, if he didn't look good against 3rd and 4th string guys then he should just quit right now.

Comment

• FL BRONCO
        Traveling Mod
        • Mar 2010

There was interest in Rypien when we signed him. We also gave him a big contract as an udfa. I may be wrong, but I don't think the Broncos send him to the practice squad at all. I think (and hope) we keep those 3 on the roster. As has been said, If Flacco goes down, it could get to be a very tough season indeed and it won't have mattered who else we kept to let rypien go hit the wire. I don't think Flacco or his contract has a long term future here. I would hate to lose out on Rypien who could have one. Looks like we are trying to acquire a number of players who can play multiple positions. I'm sure we can find a way to keep 3 without it killing us. QB has been too big an issue for too long, that is not where I want to cut corners when we still have as many questions as answers.

I just hope Munchak has these guys ready in the trenches. We are gonna really need them to show up this year.
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Zealander
          ING!
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          To be fair though, Sloter wasn't claimed by Minnesota, they signed him to their PS by offering him massive guaranteed money. He was promoted to their 53 man roster two weeks later due to injuries.

As for Kelly, he was the third QB into the game for the Colts that night. His first play was halfway through the third quarter. He was an NFL backup QB last season, if he didn't look good against 3rd and 4th string guys then he should just quit right now.
          Can't get in board with both Lynch and Lock being more physically competent than Flacco. Flaccos got quite the arm himself I've seen nothing to indicate the kids have more talent there. As far as running ability no one stands out.

Flacco is durable and a lot bigger than those two. He's a "grown man" where those two are lanky.

Out of all qbs we've had since #7 I can only see Cutler being considered more physically gifted than Flacco.

Comment

• FL BRONCO
            Traveling Mod
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
            Can't get in board with both Lynch and Lock being more physically competent than Flacco. Flaccos got quite the arm himself I've seen nothing to indicate the kids have more talent there. As far as running ability no one stands out.

Flacco is durable and a lot bigger than those two. He's a "grown man" where those two are lanky.

Out of all qbs we've had since #7 I can only see Cutler being considered more physically gifted than Flacco.
            What about Ingle Martin.......
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Zealander
              ING!
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
              What about Ingle Martin.......
              Forgot about him...

Forgot about Rico too. We've been #blessed

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                Super Moderator
                • Dec 2008

Flacco is also 34 and has had a few injuries under him. He doesn't have the athleticism now that he had, nor is his arm as good.

The way it was framed was purely on physical abilities as Broncos, both Lock and Lynch are way more agile and fleet of foot than a 34 year old Flacco, and both have cannons for arms.

I'm not saying either is a better QB than Flacco, but the framing of the debate was that a 34 year old Flacco is the second in physical abilities to every QB the Broncos have had since John Elway. I just don't think that's true.

And again the whole preface is a 34 year old Flacco, not a Flacco during his most athletic years.

Comment

• johnlimburg
                  Ring of Famer
                  • Sep 2009

The way the conversation was framed was in regards to pure physical traits, Joe Flacco is not number 2 only to John Elway. In terms of physical skills at quarterback you could place the aforementioned Lock and Lynch ahead of Flacco, but also Kelly. It obviously doesn't mean they are better, none of them are close to the quarterback that Flacco is, just physically, a 34 year old Flacco isn't even close to the most talented quarterback we have had since Elway.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                    Banned User
                    • Dec 2004

Id like to agree but I really can’t because when you look at all the names such as
                    Kelly, Lynch, Oz, Plummer, Cutler, (dare I say) Tebow But They were all physically gifted athletes but in different areas.

It just goes to show that physical talents are only 10-15 percent of what it takes to be a good QB in this league.

Joe definitely has an elite arm but he has no where near the physical attributes as some of the guys mentioned above who excelled in the college ranks.

Brian Griese has very little physicalities but one could argue that he was a better football mind than most of Denver’s QBs. Flacco will be fine in Denver and he’s still a world champion no matter what anyone has to say about his game.
                    Last edited by Sam_Z; 08-13-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• johnlimburg
                      Ring of Famer
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                      He’s still a world champion no matter what anyone has to say about his game.
                      That is true. I would go out on a limb actually and say that in terms of post-season runs from the quarterback position, and from a team in general, the 2013 Baltimore Ravens put together arguably the most impressive run we have seen in a long time. To go through Denver and New England on their way to a Championship and in the fashion they did, that was impressive, and Joe Flacco was elite in THAT stretch of games.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                        Super Moderator
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                        That is true. I would go out on a limb actually and say that in terms of post-season runs from the quarterback position, and from a team in general, the 2013 Baltimore Ravens put together arguably the most impressive run we have seen in a long time. To go through Denver and New England on their way to a Championship and in the fashion they did, that was impressive, and Joe Flacco was elite in THAT stretch of games.
                        He and his team went through Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady all on the road. And then in the Super Bowl he got by a Fangio led defense.

That year Denver had the number 2 overall defense, 4th in scoring D. San Fran was 3rd in overall, 2nd in scoring. And New England still had Brady and Belichick and Foxboro.

That was quite a run.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                          Banned User
                          • Dec 2004

He and his team went through Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady all on the road. And then in the Super Bowl he got by a Fangio led defense.

That year Denver had the number 2 overall defense, 4th in scoring D. San Fran was 3rd in overall, 2nd in scoring. And New England still had Brady and Belichick and Foxboro.

That was quite a run.
                          I loved the run PFM and the broncos offense put together in 2013 but in all honesty, that 2012 team (aside from Moore & T Carter) was better.

I’ll always remember that game and how PFM was so elite and yet how Flacco played in that game against him in the zero below weather and that is why I’ve gotta have a certain degree of faith in Joe Flacco for this season!

The guy is capable of playing on an elite level himself!

Comment

• BroncoFanDK
                            All-Pro
                            • Nov 2004

Flacco is also 34 and has had a few injuries under him. He doesn't have the athleticism now that he had, nor is his arm as good.

The way it was framed was purely on physical abilities as Broncos, both Lock and Lynch are way more agile and fleet of foot than a 34 year old Flacco, and both have cannons for arms.

I'm not saying either is a better QB than Flacco, but the framing of the debate was that a 34 year old Flacco is the second in physical abilities to every QB the Broncos have had since John Elway. I just don't think that's true.

And again the whole preface is a 34 year old Flacco, not a Flacco during his most athletic years.
                            While we can probably all agree that Cutler was the most physically gifted of our QBs in the last 20 years, we can split hairs over what "physically gifted means". All of our starters had physical gifts as Sam put it. What Flacco brings is a big arm, accuracy and touch on the ball also in bad conditions, which neither of the young guns have had.

Cutler only had deficiencies between the ears. Physically the worst QB we have had was the one we won SB50 with, so yes the rest of the equation matters a lot more. Lock and Flacco both will need to be put in the right situation to succeed. I am sure both would have been failures if VJ was still our HC.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                              Captain
                              • Aug 2008

I find it fascinating that people think Flacco still has a "big arm". He lost that about 5 years ago. His arm could be seen as average to slightly above at this point. There is a reason he has been ine of the leagues worst QBs at passes over 10 yards for the last few years, and from what we've seen so far in 2019 that will continue to be the case.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                                Captain
                                • Aug 2008

As far as running no one stands out? Flacco stands out as being particularly immobile.

Flacco is durable? Maybe 27, 28 year old Flacco was but not Flacco in his 30s. He has had at least one injury every year for the last 4 years, missing a total of 13 regular season games and 6 weeks of training camp due to injuries. Like I said, at one point he was durable, but age is a real thing and it has hit Flacco like a sack of bricks.

If you want to call Lock and Lynch lanky, so is Flacco as he and lynch are almost the exact same height and weight, with Lynch being listed an inch taller being the only difference. At 6'4" 230, Lock is hardly lanky. A very similar height:weight ratio. But, this really isnt important and I struggle figuring out why you attempted to make this point.

Point is, Flacco is not physically impressive. He is old, oft-injured, and on the downslope of his career. His physical skills and his ability to play the game are both shells of what they once were.

Comment

Working...
                                X