Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Just missed on a couple of long balls. Learning. I am confident this guy will be the starter when they need him.
    Agreed!! He'll be fine

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    A big plus was that lock knew where to go with the ball, heís just gotta work on timing and execution.

PFM could embed that into him!
    Yes Iíd rather him overthrow those long balls than underthrow them for sure. The short and intermediate stuff he looked a bit lost after his first read. He did immediately tuck the ball once and that was infuriating to watch but itís a steep learning curve for him so it should get better from here.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Yes beast....he needs some work, but you can see the upside with the long ball mindset. I can see us spreading Ds with that type of O. Not meaning that we should be throwing long all day, but that it is a part of the arsenal. Imagine an O with Lindsay and Freeman forcing the issue, and having Lock, Sutton and others (even Fant) keeping Ds honest with long ball potential.
    I was impressed with Fant last night. He was fighting hard on his blocks and that athleticism is a huge plus. Heíll have his drops but he can be a huge mismatch offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I was impressed with Fant last night. He was fighting hard on his blocks and that athleticism is a huge plus. Heíll have his drops but he can be a huge mismatch offensively.
    I was actually surprised to see him block as well as he did. Not saying I didnít believe he could do it, itís just rare to see a pass catching and blocking TE these days.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, Joe Flacco and Drew Lock will be on the 53 man roster. As far as the QB position is concerned, the questions are: Will Denver carry three QBs? If so, who will the third one be? If the third QB is Hogan, will Rypien make it to the PS and stay there?

Drew Lock isn't ready to play a regular season game yet. We'll see how much better he looks by the end of preseason. Talent-wise he offers Scangarello something to work with. I don't think the 2019 QB class was particularly strong. I'm glad Denver didn't spend a first round pick on him, or even their own second round pick.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Iím not too worried about what his numbers are but his footwork on his first rollout was atrocious. Aside from the rollouts his mechanics werenít too terrible. Chemistry and more reps will help improve his numbers.

That pass that Williams dropped was beautiful though. In stride on a wheel route, donít know the coverage on the backend but that couldíve been a TD
    All 4 of his incompletions looked like they could have been long TDs. Imagine the narrative shift if even just one of those connect? 100 yards on 11 passes and 70% completion on your first outing as a rookie? He had a fine night.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    All 4 of his incompletions looked like they could have been long TDs. Imagine the narrative shift if even just one of those connect? 100 yards on 11 passes and 70% completion on your first outing as a rookie? He had a fine night.
    Wow. Talk about trying to reach a 100 foot ceiling with a 2 foot pole and claiming you hit it.

Lock had a terrible night. It is exactly what you should expect for a guy learning a pro offense for the first time in his life.

The arm talent is definitely there and I certainly think he can grow into a great player but let's stop trying to sugarcoat what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    A big plus was that lock knew where to go with the ball, he’s just gotta work on timing and execution.

PFM could embed that into him!
    I noticed that too - a nice change from previous QBs. His main problem is mechanics, primarily his throwing motion and footwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    LOLOLOL!!!

And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Barring unforeseen circumstances, Joe Flacco and Drew Lock will be on the 53 man roster. As far as the QB position is concerned, the questions are: Will Denver carry three QBs? If so, who will the third one be? If the third QB is Hogan, will Rypien make it to the PS and stay there?

Drew Lock isn't ready to play a regular season game yet. We'll see how much better he looks by the end of preseason. Talent-wise he offers Scangarello something to work with. I don't think the 2019 QB class was particularly strong. I'm glad Denver didn't spend a first round pick on him, or even their own second round pick.
    My question is if Scangarello is the OC, and not the QB Coach, what are his responsibilities? Can he be the "QB Whisperer" that he was at San Francisco where he was the QB Coach? Or do his responsibilities as OC preclude that? Frankly, after OTAs and Training Camp, I was hoping for a lot more out of Lock than what I saw. It's early. It was Lock's first NFL snaps in a pre-season game. I'm sure the adrenaline was flowing. Let's see if he can take a step when he hits the field next week.

Right now in preseason, Denver has four QBs throwing passes to thirteen WRs, seven TEs and nine Backs. When the regular season begins, Drew Lock will probably be quarterbacking scout team throwing to about three WRs, TEs and Backs. Familiarity will grow when a smaller group works together more.

Peyton Manning would throw hundreds of passes to Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Edgerrin James, etc. running routes in practice, before practice, after practice and in pre-game. That's what it takes to establish the timing necessary to do it in a game.

1st game in NFL action, I will give him a pass for now. I know I was super amped my first day on the job, now imagine that with 300 pound speed demons chasing you all over! If he continues to have the same problems by the end of preseason, then there will be cause for concern. I expect the staff will clean up some of the problems he had last night. Flacco is the guy this year anyway, Lock will be looking to take over next year or the year after. I was also impressed with Fangio's comments after the game. Didn't sugar coat anything or seem concerned about hurting the new QB's ego, basically said he expected more and he needs to get better. Both true. Nice to see a coach being upfront and honest and not beating around the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    My question is if Scangarello is the OC, and not the QB Coach, what are his responsibilities? Can he be the "QB Whisperer" that he was at San Francisco where he was the QB Coach? Or do his responsibilities as OC preclude that? Frankly, after OTAs and Training Camp, I was hoping for a lot more out of Lock than what I saw. It's early. It was Lock's first NFL snaps in a pre-season game. I'm sure the adrenaline was flowing. Let's see if he can take a step when he hits the field next week.
    An offensive coordinator at any level must compile a playbook with formations, terminology and plays with playcalls. He must plan and implement an offseason program, preseason installation plan, in-season practice schedule, weekly game plans with installation and call plays on game day.

It is very common for NFL OCs to coach QBs. Every OC Denver has had since 2011 has coached the QB in some way or fashion. Some HCs have been known to do that including Bill Walsh, Mike Holmgren and Andy Reid. Rich Scangarello has an excellent group of assistants in Mike Munchak, Chris Kuper, Curtis Modkins, Zach Azzanni, Wade Harman, T.C. McCartney, Rob Calabrese and Justin Rascati. Football coaching is very staff intensive and collegial with responsibilities delegated to help the coordinator implement his plans.

TC is hectic with 90 players and trying to coach and rep all of them. As of last night there were 40 defenders and 47 offensive players, so Scangarello actually had more guys to keep track of than Fangio/Donatell. When the roster is set and the regular season begins, things will settle into a more manageable situation. The two or three QBs with the team will receive ample attention.

Lock and Rypien both need to step it up though. There are some talented WRs fighting for that last WR spot. And we need to see what they can give us at WR and not just returning kicks. Iíd say McKnight has the early lead over Benson and Brown because he had a nice punt return last night and that last WR will have to contribute somewhere on special teams. Langley probably cost himself his spot with that boneheaded decision. Nick Williams and River Cracraft donít seem to have that explosion to be a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Wow. Talk about trying to reach a 100 foot ceiling with a 2 foot pole and claiming you hit it.

Lock had a terrible night. It is exactly what you should expect for a guy learning a pro offense for the first time in his life.

The arm talent is definitely there and I certainly think he can grow into a great player but let's stop trying to sugarcoat what happened.
    Told my self the same but then again im still reminded both Brock and Paxton had big arms too......